Freefall Arrow Problem: Finding the initial speed and maximum height

In summary, the first arrow is launched vertically upward with an initial speed of 25 m/s and the second arrow is launched from the same spot when the first arrow is halfway to the top of its flight. The second arrow reaches the first arrow at its highest point. To find the launch speed of the second arrow, the known values of the first arrow are used to calculate the time and distance, and then the time for the second arrow to reach the same height is calculated using a quadratic equation.
Parkkk41
1. An arrow is shot vertically upward with an initial speed of 25 m/s. When it's exactly halfway to the top of its flight, a second arrow is launched vertically upward from the same spot. The second arrow reaches the first arrow just as the first arrow reaches its highest point. What is the launch speed of the second arrow?

2. v2 = v1 + a(Δt), Δd = v2(Δt)-(1/2)a(Δt)^2, Δd = v1(Δt)+(1/2)a(Δt)^2

3. I determined the known values in order to find the time and distance of the first arrow:
v1= 25 m/s
a= -9.8 m/s^2 (u)
v2 = 0 m/s
Δd= ?
Δt= ?

I then found Δt by using the formula v2= v1+a(Δt) and got 2.55 s. Next, I found the acceleration by using Δd=v2Δt-(1/2)a(Δt)^2 which was 31.86 m... I figured I could find the time of the second arrow to the same height that I found but I'm not sure how to go about that. Is it half the time or is there a way I should be calculating it? Very confused! This is just a homework question but it's really bugging me that I don't know how to do it. Any help is appreciated! Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Parkkk41 said:
1. An arrow is shot vertically upward with an initial speed of 25 m/s. When it's exactly halfway to the top of its flight, a second arrow is launched vertically upward from the same spot. The second arrow reaches the first arrow just as the first arrow reaches its highest point. What is the launch speed of the second arrow?

2. v2 = v1 + a(Δt), Δd = v2(Δt)-(1/2)a(Δt)^2, Δd = v1(Δt)+(1/2)a(Δt)^2

3. I determined the known values in order to find the time and distance of the first arrow:
v1= 25 m/s
a= -9.8 m/s^2 (u)
v2 = 0 m/s
Δd= ?
Δt= ?

I then found Δt by using the formula v2= v1+a(Δt) and got 2.55 s. Next, I found the acceleration by using Δd=v2Δt-(1/2)a(Δt)^2 which was 31.86 m... I figured I could find the time of the second area to the same height that I found but I'm not sure how to go about that. Is it half the time or is there a way I should be calculating it? Very confused! This is just a homework question but it's really bugging me that I don't know how to do it. Any help is appreciated! Thank you :)

These objects moving vertically are traveling faster near the ground, so the time taken to reach half height is less than the time taken for the second half of the flight.
This arrow will take less than one second to reach half height, despite taking over 2.5 second to reach maximum height.
To get the time time of the second arrow, you have to calculate the time taken for the first arrow to each half height.
You again use your formula Δd=v2Δt-(1/2)a(Δt)^2, but this time you know Δd and want to calculate Δt.
It is a quadratic equation so you will get two answers, but remember that after passing through this height, the arrow goes to full height, then comes back down again.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the freefall arrow problem?

The freefall arrow problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the initial speed and maximum height of an arrow shot from a bow in a vertical motion under the influence of gravity.

2. How do you approach solving the freefall arrow problem?

To solve the freefall arrow problem, you can use the equations of motion for constant acceleration, where acceleration is equal to the acceleration due to gravity. You will also need to know the height from which the arrow is released, the time it takes to reach the maximum height, and the distance traveled during this time.

3. What information do I need to know to solve the freefall arrow problem?

To solve the freefall arrow problem, you will need to know the initial height of the arrow from the ground, the time it takes to reach the maximum height, and the distance traveled during this time. You will also need to know the acceleration due to gravity, which is typically given as 9.8 m/s^2.

4. Can I assume that the initial speed of the arrow is zero?

No, you cannot assume that the initial speed of the arrow is zero. The arrow may be released with an initial speed, and this needs to be taken into account when solving the freefall arrow problem. This initial speed can be calculated using the distance traveled and the time taken to reach the maximum height.

5. Can the freefall arrow problem be solved for an arrow released at an angle?

Yes, the freefall arrow problem can be solved for an arrow released at an angle. In this case, you will need to use trigonometry to break down the initial velocity into its horizontal and vertical components. The vertical component will be used to calculate the maximum height, while the horizontal component will be used to calculate the distance traveled during the time the arrow is in the air.