Freefall to rolling with no slip

In summary, a sphere with mass m, moment of inertia I, and radius Rs is traveling through free space with initial horizontal linear velocity v1 and rotational velocity w1. It then makes tangential contact with a horizontal surface and instantaneously starts rolling without slipping. The rotation/linear velocity the instant after it starts rolling is vx=w*Rs.
qwanzaden

Homework Statement

A uniform sphere with know mass m, moment of inertia I, and radius Rs is traveling through free space with initial horizontal linear velocity v1 and rotational velocity w1. It then makes tangential contact with a horizontal surface and instantaneously starts rolling without slipping. What is the rotation/linear velocity the instant after it starts rolling?
Assume positive linear velocity is to the left, and positive rotation is counter-clockwise.
EDIT: assume a gravitational force sufficient enough to induce a frictional force to cause no sliding.

Homework Equations

Fx = m*ax
ax = (v2-v1)/t
F*R = I*alpha
alpha = (w2-w1)/t
impulse = F*t
*during no slip rolling*
vx = w*Rs

The Attempt at a Solution

I would try to solve this problem by trying to apply a horizontal impulse to the sphere, changing the linear velocity and the angular velocity, until the new linear velocity matched the linear velocity induced by rolling (vx = ws*Rs) therefore:
(1) F = m*ax => (F*t)/m = v2-v1
(2) F*Rs = Irolling*alpha => (F*t)*Rs/Irolling = w2-w1
(3) v2 = w2*Rs
This is 3 equations and three unknows (v2, w2, F*t). Solving this we get:
*only here for you to check my math, actual reading not necessary*
[/B]
substituting (3) into (1):
(F*t)/m = w2*Rs-v1 => (F*t) = (w2*Rs-v1)*m (equation: 4)
substituting (4) into (2):

(w2*Rs-v1)*m*Rs/Irolling = w2-w1 => and I'm not going to finish typing that because it takes a long time and the equation formatter is buggy. I realize that that I need to do a substitution of Irolling = I + m*Rs2 (parallel axis theorem because while the sphere is on the ground it is rotating about its edge, not its center of mass)

My main question is: is this the correct way to attack the problem? (apply a impulse until the linear and rotational speeds match). This concept will later be applied to a much more complex system (dynamics simulation). Is it still valid to apply this to a system with complex internal forces, but who's total mass is m, total linear velocity is v1, effective radius is R, and total moment of inertia is I?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If there is no normal force, there will be no frictional impulse to make the ball begin rolling.

*assume a gravitational force sufficient enough to induce a frictional force to cause no sliding

Nathanael said:
If there is no normal force, there will be no frictional impulse to make the ball begin rolling.
True, but you can take it as a very small normal impulse with a colossal coefficient of friction.

It's a bit easier if you take moments about the point of contact.

Try to solve it by conserving angular momentum about the point of contact.

Satvik Pandey said:
Try to solve it by conserving angular momentum about the point of contact.
I have thought about conserving angular momentum but because there is an outside force (friction) being applied to the system (sphere of interest) I believe that momentum is not conserved. This is my reasoning behind trying to do a impulse-driven method of solving it.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
True, but you can take it as a very small normal impulse with a colossal coefficient of friction.

It's a bit easier if you take moments about the point of contact.
With the term Irolling = I + m*Rs2 (located in the smaller text) the moment is being taken about the point of contact.

qwanzaden said:
I have thought about conserving angular momentum but because there is an outside force (friction) being applied to the system (sphere of interest) I believe that momentum is not conserved. This is my reasoning behind trying to do a impulse-driven method of solving it.
The friction acts through the point of contact, so has no moment about that point. Angular momentum about that point is conserved. This is the same as the point I was trying to make.

The ratio of linear KE rotational KE of a non slipping sphere is the same regardless of velocity.
Start with the original linear KE, this will be conserved in your case.

dean barry said:
Start with the original linear KE, this will be conserved in your case.
I see no reason why that would be true.
Also, remember that before impact the rotation has no particular relationship with the linear movement.

1. What is freefall to rolling with no slip?

Freefall to rolling with no slip is a physical phenomenon where an object falls from a certain height and seamlessly transitions into rolling without slipping on a surface.

2. How does freefall to rolling with no slip occur?

This phenomenon occurs when the object experiences a combination of gravitational force and rotational motion. As the object falls, its center of mass moves downward due to gravity, while its bottom edge or point of contact with the surface experiences a frictional force that causes it to rotate.

3. What factors affect freefall to rolling with no slip?

The key factors that affect freefall to rolling with no slip are the object's mass, shape, surface area, and the surface it falls onto. Objects with a larger mass or surface area will experience more rolling resistance, while objects with a smaller mass or surface area will transition into rolling more easily.

4. Is freefall to rolling with no slip a real-life phenomenon?

Yes, freefall to rolling with no slip is a real-life phenomenon that can be observed in various scenarios, such as a ball rolling down a ramp, a person jumping off a diving board, or a skydiver landing on the ground.

5. How is freefall to rolling with no slip different from freefall?

In freefall, an object falls without any external forces acting on it, while in freefall to rolling with no slip, the object experiences both gravitational force and a frictional force that causes it to rotate. Additionally, in freefall, the object does not have any contact with a surface, while in freefall to rolling with no slip, the object makes contact with a surface and transitions into rolling without slipping.