Frequency encoding gradient in MRI

In summary, the RF coils only receive signals from transverse spins, which is why longitudinal spins do not produce a signal.
BobP
Hi, I am studying the physics of MRI (from a conceptual NOT mathematical point of view...please don't answer with heavy maths).

I understand how we can obtain a signal from a specific slice along our Z-axis. I know that we then apply a graded magentic field (frequency encoded gradient) along the X-axis. This causes all protons along the X-direction of the patient to spin at a different frequency, according to their position along the X-axis. What I do not understand is why this x-gradient will only affect protons in our previously selected z-slice. We are working in a different plane (orthagonol to the z-axis). Why do we not get a signal from the entire body according to the frequency distribution caused by the FEG?

I hope my question is clear.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You only get signals from spins that were previously excited. The spins outside of your excited slice are indeed affected by the gradient, but they don't contribute to the signal.

DaleSpam said:
You only get signals from spins that were previously excited. The spins outside of your excited slice are indeed affected by the gradient, but they don't contribute to the signal.
Thank you for your fast reply. I do not understand why this is. Is there a non-mathematical way of explaining why this is the case. thanks

The RF coils only receive signal from transverse spins. Longitudinal spins do not induce any voltage in the coil. Is that clear to you?

DaleSpam said:
The RF coils only receive signal from transverse spins. Longitudinal spins do not induce any voltage in the coil. Is that clear to you?
Oh, so because only the protons in the z-slice lie in the transverse plane, only those protons will produce a signal that is detected by the induction of a varying X-gradient.
Yes. I get it. thanks so much!

DaleSpam said:
Yes, exactly.
Thanks. You're an absolute star! I've been struggling to understand what's going on for a day now! so grateful

What is a frequency encoding gradient in MRI?

A frequency encoding gradient in MRI is a magnetic field gradient that is used to encode the frequency information of the MR signal. This gradient is applied along the direction of the frequency-encoding axis of the MR image, which is typically the left-right direction.

How does a frequency encoding gradient work?

A frequency encoding gradient works by varying the strength of the magnetic field along the frequency-encoding axis. This causes different spins in the tissue to precess at different frequencies, which results in a signal that contains frequency information. This information is then used to create an MR image.

Why is a frequency encoding gradient necessary in MRI?

A frequency encoding gradient is necessary in MRI because it allows for the spatial encoding of signals in the frequency domain. Without this gradient, the MR signal would contain only intensity information and would not be spatially resolved.

What are the potential limitations of frequency encoding gradients in MRI?

One potential limitation of frequency encoding gradients is that they can be susceptible to artifacts caused by patient motion or magnetic field inhomogeneities. Additionally, if the gradient is not properly calibrated, it can result in distortion or blurring of the MR image.

How does the strength of the frequency encoding gradient affect image quality?

The strength of the frequency encoding gradient can affect image quality in several ways. A stronger gradient can provide better spatial resolution, but it can also increase the susceptibility to artifacts. Additionally, a stronger gradient may result in longer scan times and increased energy deposition in the patient, which can be a concern for safety.