Biomedical Engineering: Scanning k-space in NMR with readout gradient

In summary, the gradient coils are used after the initial RF pulse to scan k-space in NMR. The z-direction gradient allows for the selection of a specific slice, while the x-gradient pulse creates a spatial dependence for the Larmor frequency in the x-direction. This allows for the localization of the proton NMR signal in the sample, which is used in medical imaging such as MRI. The readout gradient, which is also a magnetic field gradient, is used to traverse through k-space and obtain information from different points in the x-y plane. This is done by introducing a spatial variation in the Larmor frequency, which is then integrated to obtain the signal. The use of the gradient coils in this way helps to move through k-space and obtain
Master1022
TL;DR Summary
How does applying the gradient coils after the initial RF pulse help to encode information in x and y directions in our chosen slab?
Hi,

Firstly, I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post this. I am learning about this concept in a biomedical engineering context, but perhaps this may be better suited to the Biology or Physics pages. If so, please let me know and I can move the post.

In short, I am confused how we can use the gradient coils, after the initial RF pulse, to scan k-space when taking an NMR.

Here is what I understand:

1. We can apply an gradient in the z-direction to make the Lamor frequency a function of z. This allows us to select a certain slice by applying any range of frequencies for our RF pulse.

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 8.48.49 AM.png

2. Now that we have a slice/slab, we want to get information more specifically from different points in the x-y plane. Therefore we apply a readout gradient. My main misunderstanding is how this helps us.

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 8.52.33 AM.png

Question 1: How does the readout gradient help us traverse x-y space? It looks like the gradient pulses move us in the ## u ## and ## v ## directions in ##k##-space (which I understand to basically be Fourier space). From animations of this process, it seems like the readout gradients move us in ##k##-space, rather than us moving around manually.

My guess of how this works is that:
- when we apply this gradient coil, this introduces a spatial variation for the Lamor frequency in that same direction (e.g. x-gradient pulse introduces spatial variation in x-direction)
- This then causes an integral (based on the above diagram) for the signal to be (I believe ##T_p## is the time of the y-gradient pulse):
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 9.05.29 AM.png

Question 2: Why can we just substitute the ## G_x x ## for ## u ## and likewise for ## v ##? I understand that the pulses introduce a variation in the respective directions, but am not sure why that means we can make the substitution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel that I have one or two core misunderstandings which probably underpin most of these questions.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Nuclear/nmr.html said:
Since the Larmor frequency of the detected signal is proportional to the applied magnetic field, changing the magnitude of that field produces a different detected frequency. Placing a magnetic field gradient across a sample allows you to locate the source of the proton NMR signal in the sample. This is used to great advantage in the medical imaging process known as Magnetic Resonance Imaging.

https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Organic_Chemistry/Book%3A_Basic_Principles_of_Organic_Chemistry_%28Roberts_and_Caserio%29/09%3A_Separation_Purification__Identification_of_Organic_Compounds/9.11%3A_Nuclear_Magnetic_Resonance_Spectroscopy said:
Figure 9-25: Comparison of sweep rates on nmr absorption curves; (a) 500-sec sweep, (b) 50-sec sweep, (c) 10-sec sweep, The "ringing" in the faster sweep curves is a transient effect that has a small effect on the position of the peak and none on the integral.

Roberts and Caserio Screenshot 9-10-500.png

Image compliments of http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/

Thank you for your reply @dlgoff !

However, I am still slightly confused...

dlgoff said:
Since the Larmor frequency of the detected signal is proportional to the applied magnetic field, changing the magnitude of that field produces a different detected frequency. Placing a magnetic field gradient across a sample allows you to locate the source of the proton NMR signal in the sample. This is used to great advantage in the medical imaging process known as Magnetic Resonance Imaging.

This part makes sense. When we apply the initial gradient in the z-direction, it helps choose the slab/slice. Then we apply a x-gradient pulse after the initial RF pulse. As you say, this now introduces another spatial dependence for the x direction within that plane. I am still not understanding what the connection between the readout gradient and the k-space scanning is.

Apologies if I am missing something obvious.

Master1022 said:
readout gradient
Master1022 said:
Thank you for your reply @dlgoff !

However, I am still slightly confused...
This part makes sense. When we apply the initial gradient in the z-direction, it helps choose the slab/slice. Then we apply a x-gradient pulse after the initial RF pulse. As you say, this now introduces another spatial dependence for the x direction within that plane. I am still not understanding what the connection between the readout gradient and the k-space scanning is.

Apologies if I am missing something obvious.
Isn't the readout gradient=magnetic field gradient? Not sure I understand what "readout gradient" means here.

Thanks for your reply.

dlgoff said:
Isn't the readout gradient=magnetic field gradient? Not sure I understand what "readout gradient" means here.
Yes it is a magnetic field. Although I thought the readout gradient was specifically referring to the use of the gradient coils after the RF pulse; so the readout gradient would be to traverse through k-space (if that is what it does? or maybe it is x-y space?), whereas the 'standard' use of the gradient coil was for slice selection.

I am just confused how/why those x-gradient and y-gradient pulses shown in the diagram at the top actually help us move through k-space. I know that they introduce a magnetic gradient which creates a spatial dependence for the lamor frequency. But what is the logical jump from that step to us moving around in k-space? I can see the integral has the ##G_x## and ##G_y##, but I wasn't sure how that came about. I hope this better explains where my misunderstanding is. Basically, we have applied those x-gradient and y-gradient pulses - so what?

Thanks for the help

Thanks @Tom.G ! That website is quite helpful.

Tom.G said:
See:
https://www.mriquestions.com/gradient-echo.html

That whole series seems to do a decent job of explaining MRI subtleties without burying you in the math.

(above found with:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=mri+readout+gradient)

Cheers,
Tom

I just had one final question about this concept. After reading the website, a few points became clear:
- When we apply the readout gradient, then the lamor frequencies vary with x (or y, depending on the direction of the gradient)
- The points with higher frequencies will accumulate a phase difference over time, with respect to the points with lower frequencies
The one part I cannot understand is on this page here: https://www.mriquestions.com/why-signal-harr-k-space.html and I have put a picture right below of the specific section:

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 9.54.22 AM.png

and the text some time below states (only referring to the last paragraph in the image, but have included the rest for context):
Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 9.56.14 AM.png

Why is it the case that the resultant MR signal at each point in time (t) thus reflects increasing spatial frequencies and the summed phase angles from all locations in the image?
Why would the frequency vary with time if the pulse amplitude is constant (as often shown in these examples)?
- From reading, when the readout gradient is applied, it introduces a variation into the natural resonant Lamor frequency, but I cannot see how that varies with time while the pulse is activeIf I accept that as true, then the next step of the logic seems reasonable. Each point in time on the signal represents a different frequency and phase and thus corresponds to a different point in k-space, which helps us to fill out a row and/or column.

Master1022 said:
Why would the frequency vary with time if the pulse amplitude is constant (as often shown in these examples)?

The pulse shown in the diagram indicates the time period that the Gradient field is present, not the amplitide of a fixed pulse.
(another way of describing the diagram is that the pulse is a gating function (or an Enable signal) for the gradient field.)

Since there is a gradient field, the Lamor frequency will vary along the gradient; hence all the frequencies will be present during the gradient presence. When the pulse of Gradient Field ends, the Lamor frequency returns to the value of the quiescent field.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Master1022
Thanks for your reply @Tom.G!
Tom.G said:
Since there is a gradient field, the Lamor frequency will vary along the gradient; hence all the frequencies will be present during the gradient presence.
True, but whilst the gradient is being applied, the Lamor frequency at an individual point will be at its new value, but won't be changing until the pulse turns off.

Does the wording on the page not indicate that there is a temporal variation of the Lamor frequency at a given point in space while the pulse is being applied? I thought the Lamor frequency of an arbitrary point A would start at ## \omega_1 ##, then change to ## \omega_2 ## when the readout gradient is applied and stay at that exact same value until the gradient stops, at which point it reverts back to ## \omega_1## as you said. Often the examples given are that we introduce a term ##G_x x ## and it is usually implied that ## G_x ## is a constant. That is why I was confused by the statement: "the resultant MR signal at each point in time (t) thus reflects increasing spatial frequencies"

Where does this signal actually come from (perhaps that is why I am getting confused)? I seem to think it is the current reading from the RF coil in the machine...

Tom.G said:
When the pulse of Gradient Field ends, the Lamor frequency returns to the value of the quiescent field.
Agreed

Master1022 said:
Does the wording on the page not indicate that there is a temporal variation of the Lamor frequency at a given point in space while the pulse is being applied?
Not that I noticed, but I'm really not an expert.
Master1022 said:
"the resultant MR signal at each point in time (t) thus reflects increasing spatial frequencies"
Confusing, for sure.
Master1022 said:
I seem to think it is the current reading from the RF coil in the machine...
That is my understanding.

Overall, I think much confusion comes from "the resultant MR signal at each point in time (t) thus reflects increasing spatial frequencies". If you append the phrase "along the gradient.", It all seems to hang together.

See if the equations work with that interpretation, they are beyond my ability to evaluate.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
Overall, I think much confusion comes from "the resultant MR signal at each point in time (t) thus reflects increasing spatial frequencies". If you append the phrase "along the gradient.", It all seems to hang together.
Take the simplest example. The process starts by polarising the bulk sample for a short period. When the polarisation is removed, relaxation results in precession at the Larmor frequency. A gradient field is then applied to determine the Larmor frequency along some selected 3D axis. The total of the RF is digitised and recorded for a period of time. The FFT of that time record gives the frequency distribution of precession energy present.

Since the gradient field determined the spatial distribution of Larmor frequency, the FFT reveals the spatial distribution of precession energy along the selected gradient axis. That is conceptually K-space.

When discussing the gradient of Larmor frequency, confusion arises when the terms “spatial“ and "frequency” are wrongly conflated. "Spatial frequency" refers to the FFT of a spatial image, which would require a further FFT beyond K-space in NMR.

Likes Tom.G

1. What is the purpose of scanning k-space in NMR with a readout gradient?

The readout gradient is used in NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) to encode spatial information into the signal received from the sample. Scanning k-space with the readout gradient allows for the reconstruction of a 2D or 3D image of the sample.

2. How does the readout gradient work in NMR?

The readout gradient is a magnetic field gradient that is applied during the readout period of an NMR experiment. This gradient causes the precession frequency of the spins in the sample to vary across the sample, resulting in a different frequency for each position. This frequency information is then used to reconstruct the spatial information of the sample.

3. What is k-space in NMR?

K-space is a mathematical representation of the spatial frequency information of a sample in NMR. It is a 2D or 3D grid where each point represents a specific frequency and phase of the signal received from the sample. By scanning through all the points in k-space, a complete image of the sample can be reconstructed.

4. How is k-space scanned in NMR with a readout gradient?

To scan k-space in NMR with a readout gradient, the gradient is applied during the readout period of the experiment. The frequency and phase of the signal received from the sample are recorded for each point in k-space. This process is repeated multiple times, with different gradient strengths and orientations, to fully sample k-space and reconstruct an image of the sample.

5. What are the advantages of using a readout gradient for k-space scanning in NMR?

The use of a readout gradient in NMR allows for faster and more efficient imaging compared to other methods. It also provides more precise spatial information, allowing for higher resolution images to be reconstructed. Additionally, the readout gradient can be adjusted to optimize image contrast and reduce artifacts in the final image.