Frequency of Oscillations of a Bead Resting on a Gas

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a textbook about a bead in a flask that is oscillating due to changes in pressure. The bead is at equilibrium when it is not oscillating, but when it is displaced, the net force on the bead is not zero. The pressure exerted by the gas is a significant force that needs to be taken into account, and the problem suggests that the ratio of heat capacities is important. The question of whether to consider the force of gravity and the external atmospheric pressure is also discussed. The conversation ends with a prompt to consider Hooke's law and the relationship between net force and displacement for this problem.
penguin46
Homework Statement
A glass flask with a long narrow neck, of small cross-section area 𝐴, is
filled with 1 mol of a dilute gas with Cp/Cv = gamma, at temperature 𝑇. A glass
bead of mass 𝑚 fits snugly into the neck and can slide along the neck
without friction. Find the frequency of small oscillations of the beads about
its equilibrium position.
Relevant Equations
P=F*A, Cp = dU/dT Cv = dH/dT
Hi, this is a question from my textbook that I can't quite make sense of. I don't really know where even to begin, to be honest. The only thing I can think of is that the bead is at equilibrium, thus the force of gravity is equal to the pressure exerted by the gas. I don't know where the heat capacity would come in. Possibly something to do with How much the gas gets compressed during a small perturbation? Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
penguin46 said:
The only thing I can think of is that the bead is at equilibrium, thus the force of gravity is equal to the pressure exerted by the gas.
If the bead is not oscillating, then it will be in equilibrium. In that case, the net force on the bead will be zero. But, pressure is not a force, so it is not quite right to say that the force of gravity is equal to the pressure of the gas when the bead is in equilibrium.

Of course, you are interested in the case where the bead is oscillating. So, it is not in equilibrium. When the bead is displaced from the equilibrium position, think about why the net force on the bead will not be zero.

penguin46 said:
I don't know where the heat capacity would come in. Possibly something to do with How much the gas gets compressed during a small perturbation?
The problem statement suggests that it's the ratio ##C_p/C_v## that's important. This is a hint as to the type of process that the gas undergoes when the bead is oscillating. Is the process isothermal? isobaric? adiabatic? something else?

It should be non-zero force because the pressure depends on volume, right?

I would say it should be adiabatic, because it is probably moving too fast to be isothermal.

penguin46 said:
It should be non-zero force because the pressure depends on volume, right?

I would say it should be adiabatic, because it is probably moving too fast to be isothermal.
Yes. I think you are probably expected to assume adiabatic.

Can you think of a way to obtain an expression for the net force on the bead if the bead is displaced a small distance from the equilibrium position?

It's not clear from the wording of the problem whether the neck of the flask is vertical or horizontal or in some other orientation.

well the net force would be equal to pressure x area, and so we would calculate how much the pressure changes based on a small displacement?

it is vertical

penguin46 said:
well the net force would be equal to pressure x area, and so we would calculate how much the pressure changes based on a small displacement?
Yes. Should you worry about the force on the bead created by the external atmospheric pressure?

Edit: Does the net force on the ball include the force of gravity?

penguin46 said:
it is vertical
Ok

TSny said:
Yes. Should you worry about the force on the bead created by the external atmospheric pressure?
i have no idea, none of this makes any sense. How am i supposed to know whether the question writer wants me to take that into account? i have thought about this question for like 3 hrs now and still don't even know where to start

penguin46 said:
How am i supposed to know whether the question writer wants me to take that into account?
I just wanted you to realize that the force on the bead that is due to the external atmospheric pressure is a significant force.

So, if the bead is sitting at rest in the neck in equilibrium, there are three forces acting on the bead that add up to a net force of zero. Can you list these three forces? If the bead displaces a bit from equilibrium, which of these three forces remain unchanged and which force changes?

force of gravity, outside pressure, inside pressure. only inside pressure changes

penguin46 said:
force of gravity, outside pressure, inside pressure. only inside pressure changes
OK. Again, pressure is not a force. But you have the right idea.

Suppose the bead makes a small displacement from the equilibrium position. If ##dP## is the corresponding change in pressure of the gas inside, how would you express the ##net## force on the bead when it is at this displaced position?

A*dP

penguin46 said:
A*dP
Yes. (I hope you are clear on why this simple expression for the net force on the bead does not include the force from the external atmospheric pressure or the weight of the bead.)

Let the small displacement of the bead from equilibrium be denoted ##dy##. (We're representing small quantities as differentials.)

For simple harmonic motion, the net force and the displacement obey Hooke's law, ##F_{net} = -k x## for some "force constant" ##k##. See if you can show that for this problem the net force ##AdP## is related to ##dy## by Hooke's law and discover the force constant for this problem. This is where the adiabatic nature of the process is important.

yeah sorry dude i give up

penguin46 said:
yeah sorry dude i give up
Maybe it will help to take a break from it.

Sorry, but we are not allowed to just give away the solution. The general idea is that if you know the basic equation that relates ##P## and ##V## for an adiabatic process of an ideal gas, then you can use it to relate ##dP## to ##dV##. And ##dV## is related to ##dy## and ##A##. So, you can discover how ##dP## is related to ##dy##, etc.

i don't know that equation

See anything familiar here?

I have the following suggestions:
First, I think the reference to the adiabatic constant implies that T is constant throughout the experiment. Now assume we have an ideal gas in a tube of length ##L## with cross-sectional area ##A##. From the ideal gas law,
$$
P=\frac{F_{gas}}{A}=\frac{nRT}{V}
$$
$$
F_{gas}=A\frac{nRT}{V}
$$
Now take the variable ##z## to be positively increasing from the top of the tube towards its bottom. The volume of the tube is,
$$
V=A(L-z)
$$
We have for the force exerted by the gas in the tube,
$$
F_{gas}(z)=\frac{nRT}{(L-z)}=\frac{nRT}{L(1-\frac{z}{L})}
$$
We assume the equilibrium position of the bead ##z_0## is not very far from the top of the long tube such that ##z_0 << L## and we take the first order approximation of ##F_{gas}(z)##,
$$
F_{gas}(z)\approx \frac{nRT((1+ \frac{z}{L})}{L}
$$
There are three forces acting on the bead ##F_{gas}##, ##mg##, and the force from atmospheric pressure ##\frac{P_{atmosph}}{A}##. We can now write a force equation for the system,
$$
m\ddot{z} =mg + \frac{P_{atmosph}}{A} - F_{gas}(z)
$$
At the equilibrium position,
$$
\frac{nRT((1+ \frac{z_0}{L})}{L}=mg + \frac{P_{atmosph}}{A}
$$
and the differential equation becomes,
$$
m\ddot{z}=\frac{nRT((1+ \frac{z_0}{L})}{L}-\frac{nRT((1+ \frac{z}{L})}{L}=-\frac{nRT(z-z_0)}{L^2}
$$
Make the substitution ##z'=z-z_0## and the differential equation becomes,
$$
\ddot{z'} + \frac{nRT}{mL^2}z'=0
$$
[/SPOILER

Fred Wright said:
First, I think the reference to the adiabatic constant implies that T is constant throughout the experiment.
For an ideal gas undergoing a reversible, adiabatic process we have ##TV^{\gamma-1} = \rm const##. Thus, any change in ##V## must be accompanied by a change in ##T##.

Now, whether or not the adiabatic assumption for this problem is a good assumption, I don't know. But I'm guessing that as an academic exercise, they want the student to make this assumption.

TSny said:
For an ideal gas undergoing a reversible, adiabatic process we have ##TV^{\gamma-1} = \rm const##. Thus, any change in ##V## must be accompanied by a change in ##T##.

Now, whether or not the adiabatic assumption for this problem is a good assumption, I don't know. But I'm guessing that as an academic exercise, they want the student to make this assumption.
Your right of course (my bad),
$$
T=\frac{C}{V^{\gamma -1}}
$$
The force exerted on the bead by the gas in the tube is,
$$
F_{gas}(z)=\frac{CAnR}{V^{\gamma}}=\frac{CA^{1-\gamma}nR}{L^{\gamma}(1-\frac{z}{L})^{\gamma}}=\frac{CA^{1-\gamma}nR}{L^{\gamma}}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}
\begin{pmatrix}
\gamma \\
k
\end{pmatrix}\left( \frac{z}{L} \right)^k
$$
##\gamma## is not an integer and taking the first order approximation the force becomes,
$$
F_{gas}(z)\approx \frac{CA^{1-\gamma}nR}{L^{\gamma}}
\left [1+\frac{\Gamma (1+ \gamma)}{\Gamma (\gamma)}\left( \frac{z}{L} \right)\right ]
$$
where the factorial is replaced by the Gamma function. I felt compelled to post this, out of embarrassment, to amend my silly misinterpretation of the problem. Evidently the problem requires a degree of mathematical sophistication beyond what is expected in an introductory course in thermodynamics.

The adiabatic law for an ideal gas can be expressed as ##PV^{\gamma} = \rm const##. To work this problem, you only need to relate ##dP## to ##dV## since we assume "small oscillations". So, the math is not bad.

1. What is the frequency of oscillations for a bead resting on a gas?

The frequency of oscillations for a bead resting on a gas depends on several factors such as the mass of the bead, the gas density, and the strength of the gravitational field. It can be calculated using the equation f = √(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the spring constant of the gas, and m is the mass of the bead.

2. How does the mass of the bead affect the frequency of oscillations?

The frequency of oscillations is inversely proportional to the square root of the mass of the bead. This means that as the mass of the bead increases, the frequency decreases. This is because a heavier bead requires more force to move and thus has a lower frequency of oscillations.

3. What is the relationship between gas density and frequency of oscillations?

The frequency of oscillations is directly proportional to the square root of the gas density. This means that as the gas density increases, the frequency also increases. This is because a denser gas provides more resistance to the movement of the bead, resulting in a higher frequency of oscillations.

4. Does the strength of the gravitational field affect the frequency of oscillations?

Yes, the strength of the gravitational field does affect the frequency of oscillations. The higher the strength of the gravitational field, the higher the frequency of oscillations. This is because a stronger gravitational field results in a greater force pulling the bead towards the gas, causing it to oscillate at a higher frequency.

5. Can the frequency of oscillations be altered by changing the properties of the gas?

Yes, the frequency of oscillations can be altered by changing the properties of the gas, such as its density or temperature. This is because these properties affect the strength of the gas's spring constant, which directly impacts the frequency of oscillations. For example, increasing the temperature of the gas can decrease its density and thus decrease the frequency of oscillations.