Friction problem in HS physics -- Mass moving on an inclined plane

In summary: But F is there, so it isn't.-DanIn summary, the conversation discusses the conditions of an object M on a slope with an applied force "F". The speaker identifies three conditions: sliding up, sliding down, and not moving. However, the other person points out that the direction of the normal force is different from what is shown in the diagram and needs to include the component of force normal to the incline from the pushing force "F". The speaker also mentions that in their work, they calculated the friction component due to the normal force. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the correct representation of the normal force and the importance of applying Newton's Laws first before making generalizations.
yungman
Homework Statement
Helping grand daughter
Relevant Equations
see below
This is a homework problem of my grand daughter. The question is to find out the conditions of an object M on a slope with angle shown and applied force "F". I find there are 3 conditions, sliding up, sliding down and not moving. This is my work. I just want to get comments on my work:
Friction Problem.jpg

At the bottom, I wrote out the conditions.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a note: ##N## is pointing in the opposite direction of how its shown in the diagram and it needs to include the component of Force normal to the incline from the pushing force ##F##. Apply ## \sum \boldsymbol F = m \boldsymbol a ##.

EDIT: I see that you've actually done this in ##(4)## (or know this),but saying ##N = Mg \cos \theta## in ##(3)## is not correct.

Last edited:
Likes yungman
yungman said:
Homework Statement:: Helping grand daughter
Relevant Equations:: see below

This is a homework problem of my grand daughter. The question is to find out the conditions of an object M on a slope with angle shown and applied force "F". I find there are 3 conditions, sliding up, sliding down and not moving. This is my work. I just want to get comments on my work:
View attachment 314023

At the bottom, I wrote out the conditions.

Thanks
(Along with erboz's comment about the direction of the normal force.)

Taken individually your concepts are almost correct. However you are ignoring that some of these forces, such as the normal force, are a reaction to a set of applied forces. For example, if we take the +y direction to be in the direction of the normal force:
##\sum F_y = N - Mg ~ cos( \theta ) - F ~ sin( \theta )##

Then we have that ##f = \mu N##, as per its definition.

You will easily see that the normal force here is not equal to ##Mg ~ cos( \theta )##.

Now, your answers will be numerically correct... You did the Math right. But you will not have defined the normal force correctly.

It is better to apply Newton's Laws first before making generalizations.

-Dan

Likes erobz
erobz said:
Just a note: ##N## is pointing in the opposite direction of how its shown in the diagram and it needs to include the component of Force normal to the incline from the pushing force ##F##. Apply ## \sum \boldsymbol F = m \boldsymbol a ##.

EDIT: I see that you've actually done this in ##(4)## (or know this),but saying ##N = Mg \cos \theta## in ##(3)## is not correct.
I thought I represent perpendicular force to the slope surface in (3). That's the perpendicular force on the surface due to M.
In (4) I calculate the friction component part due to N. I don't understand why (3) is not correct. Please explain.

Thanks

yungman said:
I thought I represent perpendicular force to the slope surface in (3). That's the perpendicular force on the surface due to M.
In (4) I calculate the friction component part due to N. I don't understand why (3) is not correct. Please explain.

Thanks
The normal force is as big as it needs to be to keep the object from leaving the surface. (Else it's 0 N.) For example, if we set a book on a flat table, the net force on the book will be 0 N because it is not accelerating upward. So ##\sum F_y = N - mg = 0 \implies N = mg##. If we push down on the book with an additional force F then what is the normal force?
##\sum F_y = N - mg - F = 0 \implies N = mg + F##

The value of the size of the normal force does not have a specific equation in general. You have to find it according to the application of Newton's Laws. (Since you are also interested in friction, I might add that the static friction force has the same property. There is a formula for the maximum of the static friction force, but none for the static friction force if it can be shown to be less than this maximum.)

-Dan

yungman said:

Thanks

Yeah, but that is not what the normal force ##N## is. See what @topsquark has said.

topsquark said:
(Along with erboz's comment about the direction of the normal force.)

Taken individually your concepts are almost correct. However you are ignoring that some of these forces, such as the normal force, are a reaction to a set of applied forces. For example, if we take the +y direction to be in the direction of the normal force:
##\sum F_y = N - Mg ~ cos( \theta ) - F ~ sin( \theta )##

Then we have that ##f = \mu N##, as per its definition.

You will easily see that the normal force here is not equal to ##Mg ~ cos( \theta )##.

Now, your answers will be numerically correct... You did the Math right. But you will not have defined the normal force correctly.

It is better to apply Newton's Laws first before making generalizations.

-Dan
I don't know the meaning of "~" in your equation of "~ cos( \theta )". I assume it's just a separator.

I still don't understand why N = Mg~cos(\theta). I though N is the force normal to the surface. That is pushing onto the surface of the slope plane, which is from Mg.

Thanks

yungman said:
I don't know the meaning of "~" in your equation of "~ cos( \theta )". I assume it's just a separator.

I still don't understand why N = Mg~cos(\theta). I though N is the force normal to the surface. That is pushing onto the surface of the slope plane, which is from Mg.

Thanks
Hmmm... Must be a LaTeX problem. I'm not seeing it. Yes, the ~ is just a separator. (Try refreshing the screen if you aren't seeing the formulas right.)

If F weren't there then the normal force would be equal to ##Mg ~ cos( \theta )##. But because we have a force F with a component acting into the plane we have to add this component as part of the normal force. The normal force essentially represents the total reaction force on the object from the surface it's on. (via Newton's 3rd Law.)

-Dan

Likes yungman and erobz
topsquark said:
Hmmm... Must be a LaTeX problem. I'm not seeing it. Yes, the ~ is just a separator. (Try refreshing the screen if you aren't seeing the formulas right.)

If F weren't there then the normal force would be equal to ##Mg ~ cos( \theta )##. But because we have a force F with a component acting into the plane we have to add this component as part of the normal force. The normal force essentially represents the total reaction force on the object from the surface it's on. (via Newton's 3rd Law.)

-Dan
Ah yes, I put it in the friction component part, I can put it in the N part also, just take it out of the friction part.

My answer use still be right though, is it? I put it in (4)

I'll rewrite the equations again putting the F part into N this time. I'll post it later.

thanks

Likes erobz
yungman said:
Ah yes, I put it in the friction component part, I can put it in the N part also, just take it out of the friction part.

My answer use still be right though, is it? I put it in (4)

I'll rewrite the equations again putting the F part into N this time. I'll post it later.

thanks
##(4)## is ok, just take out the ##F \sin \theta ## term in the first equivalence. Change ##(3)##.

This is the revised write up:
Friction Problem 1.jpg

I updated the notes, (4) doesn't need to be change. Just (3)

Is this correct?

thanks

Ha ha, I have not even look at this kind of stuff in close to 50 years! Grand daughter bring it all back.

yungman said:
This is the revised write up:
View attachment 314029

I updated the notes, (4) doesn't need to be change. Just (3)

Is this correct?

thanks

Ha ha, I have not even look at this kind of stuff in close to 50 years! Grand daughter bring it all back.
Other than ##N## being incorrect direction in the diagram.

Likes topsquark and yungman
erobz said:
Other than ##N## being incorrect direction in the diagram.
Thanks

I thought N is pressing down. So the arrow should be go down towards the slanted surface.

So my conclusion in the If--else if--else statement at the end is correct?

Your reasoning is correct. It is customary though to do some algebra and write down the result as $$F_{\text{min}}\leq F \leq F_{\text{max}}$$ where the minimum and maximum values of ##F## are expressed in terms of the given quantities.

Likes topsquark and yungman
yungman said:
Thanks

I thought N is pressing down. So the arrow should be go down towards the slanted surface.

So my conclusion in the If--else if--else statement at the end is correct?
The normal force is not a force you apply, it's the reaction to an object being pressed into a surface. So it always points away from the surface. The applied forces press the object into the surface.

-Dan

1. What is friction and how does it affect a mass moving on an inclined plane?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. In the case of a mass moving on an inclined plane, friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion and decreases the speed of the mass.

2. What factors affect the amount of friction in this scenario?

The amount of friction depends on the type of surfaces in contact, the normal force (perpendicular force) between the surfaces, and the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces are.

3. How can we calculate the force of friction on a mass on an inclined plane?

The force of friction can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force. The normal force can be calculated using the formula N = mgcosθ, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

4. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the force of friction?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the normal force, which in turn affects the force of friction. As the angle of the inclined plane increases, the normal force decreases, resulting in a decrease in the force of friction. This means that a mass will slide down an inclined plane more easily at steeper angles.

5. Can friction ever be completely eliminated in this scenario?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate friction in this scenario. However, the force of friction can be minimized by using smoother surfaces and reducing the angle of the inclined plane. In a perfect scenario, where there is no friction, the mass would continue to slide down the inclined plane without slowing down.