Friction with block on incline

In summary, the conversation was about a physics problem and solution that the speaker was having trouble with. The problem statement and attempt at a solution were attached, and the speaker asked for help. Another person pointed out an error in the speaker's solution and provided a suggestion for solving the problem. The speaker thanked them for their help.
houseguest
Hello, this is a physics problem I worked out an cannot determine what I did wrong.
Attached is the problem and my solution. Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks.

Homework Statement

Attached

Homework Equations

F = ma, f_k = Mu_k * N, dx = v0t + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached

Attachments

• prb1.JPG
    prb1.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me that you assumed the force of the rope on the mass was equal to the weight of the hanging mass. That's not true. (If it were true, the hanging mass would be in equilibrium.)

Instead, call the rope tension T. Apply Newton's 2nd law to both masses, then combine the equations to solve for the acceleration.

Ooooh yeah. Thanks!

Related to Friction with block on incline

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces in contact with each other.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect friction?

The steeper the incline, the greater the force of friction will be. This is because the weight of the block is distributed more perpendicular to the surface, increasing the normal force and thus increasing the force of friction.

3. How does the mass of the block affect friction?

The mass of the block does not directly affect the force of friction. However, a heavier block will have a greater weight, which can affect the normal force and thus the force of friction.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the force of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces in contact are. A higher coefficient of friction means a greater force of friction, while a lower coefficient of friction means a smaller force of friction.

5. How can friction be reduced in this scenario?

Friction can be reduced by using a lubricant or smoothing out the surfaces in contact. Additionally, decreasing the weight of the block or decreasing the angle of the incline can also reduce the force of friction.