Frictional force and Work done on a parabolic path

In summary, the total work done by the applied force F on the sack of flour can be calculated using a line integral, and is given by Fx1 - μmg(x1 + \gamma4x12). In the case where μ = 0, the work done is simply equal to Fx1.
Fenixx

Homework Statement

A sack of flour (mass m) can slide along a parabolic track i the vertical plane defined by y = [tex]\gamma[/tex]x2 The coefficient of (dynamic) friction is [tex]\mu[/tex]. You move this sack from x = 0 to x = x1 along the track by pulling it with a horizontal force F (you do this quasi-statically, i.e. the sack is not accelerated).

a) Calculate the work done by force F.
b) Discuss your result for the case [tex]\mu[/tex] = 0.

Homework Equations

Ffr=-[tex]\mu[/tex]mg
W = [tex]\int[/tex]F dl = F x cos [tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the horizontal force F = Ffr. If there were no frictional force, the work would simply be the change in gravitational potential from x to x1, correct? W = mg(y(x1) - y(x))

However, since there is a frictional force, and it is along a curved path, the work done actually depends on the path taken. I am not sure how to factor this part of the force in Since if F is horizontal, wouldn't amount of force that would affect the bag of flour would change with the path? Does this problem involve some type of line integral? I am not too familiar with this type of problem.

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Yes, this problem does involve a line integral. The work done by a force along a curved path can be calculated using the formula W = ∫F·ds, where F is the force vector and ds is the infinitesimal displacement vector along the path. In this case, the force vector is F = Ffr = -μmg, and the displacement vector can be written as ds = dx + dy = dx + \gamma2xdx.

Therefore, the work done by the frictional force along the entire path from x = 0 to x = x1 is given by:

W = ∫F·ds = ∫0x1 (-μmg)(dx + \gamma2xdx) = -μmg∫0x1 (1 + \gamma2x)dx = -μmg[x + \gamma4x2]0x1 = -μmg(x1 + \gamma4x12)

This is the work done by the frictional force. To calculate the total work done by the applied force F, we need to add the work done by F along the same path. Since F is horizontal, the angle between F and ds is always 90°, so the work done by F is simply given by:

W = ∫F·ds = F∫0x1 cos(90°)ds = F∫0x1 ds = F(x1 - 0) = Fx1

Therefore, the total work done by the applied force F is given by:

W = Fx1 - μmg(x1 + \gamma4x12)

Now, let's consider the case where μ = 0. In this case, there is no frictional force acting on the sack of flour, so the work done by the applied force F is simply given by:

W = Fx1

This means that the total work done by F is equal to the work done by F in the presence of friction, minus the work done by the frictional force. This makes sense intuitively, as the frictional force is essentially "stealing" some of the work done by F.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Frictional force and Work done on a parabolic path

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is a resistive force that acts in the opposite direction to the motion of an object. It is caused by the interaction between two surfaces in contact and can hinder the movement of an object.

2. How does frictional force affect work done on a parabolic path?

Frictional force can increase the amount of work done on an object moving along a parabolic path because it acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion. This means that the object must overcome the force of friction, resulting in an increase in the amount of work done.

3. Can frictional force be beneficial in some cases?

Yes, frictional force can be beneficial in certain situations. For example, it allows us to walk or drive on surfaces without slipping, and it also helps to slow down objects in motion, such as a car coming to a stop.

4. How is the amount of work done on a parabolic path calculated?

The work done on a parabolic path is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance it travels in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

5. How can frictional force be reduced?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants between surfaces, polishing surfaces to make them smoother, or by using wheels or ball bearings to reduce the amount of contact between surfaces. Additionally, reducing the weight or mass of an object can also decrease the amount of frictional force acting on it.