Frictional Force Homework: Calculating Time to Stop

In summary, the problem involves a rotating disk with 4 points of mass, each weighing 19kg, and a radius of 2.0m. The inertia of the disk is 3.04 kg m^2 and the angular speed is 310 rad/s. A frictional force of 94 N is applied to the rim, causing the torque to be 188 N m. The question is asking how long it will take for the disk to come to a complete stop.
borobeauty66

Homework Statement

A rotating disk of radius 2.0m (the mass on the disk, assume is negliable) with 4 points of mass each spaced 90 degrees apart from each other, each weighing 19kg. Each is position 0.2m from the axle.
Inertia of the disk is 3.04 kg m^2
Angular Speed is 310 rad/s
Torque is initially at 0 Nm, as no force is acting upon it.

A frictional force is then applied to the rim, of 94 N. How long does it take to come to a complete stop?

Homework Equations

I assume F x r = torque
But after this, I'm not sure where to go.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to begin

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the right idea in your 'relevant equations' section. You can calculate the torque using the information given. That's the first step you should try.

BruceW said:
You've got the right idea in your 'relevant equations' section. You can calculate the torque using the information given. That's the first step you should try.

Therefor torque = 94 N x 2.0 m = 188 N m.

Will I need inertia for the next step?

"Will I need inertia for the next step?"

It's a rotating object that is being stopped. What does that tell you?

borobeauty66 said:
Therefor torque = 94 N x 2.0 m = 188 N m.

Will I need inertia for the next step?

This is correct.

Related to Frictional Force Homework: Calculating Time to Stop

What is frictional force?

Frictional force is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities of the two surfaces rubbing against each other.

How is frictional force calculated?

Frictional force is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a measure of how much friction an object has) by the normal force (the force exerted by an object against another object or surface).

What is the formula for calculating time to stop with frictional force?

The formula for calculating time to stop with frictional force is t = m*v/f, where t is the time to stop, m is the mass of the object, v is the initial velocity, and f is the frictional force.

What factors affect the amount of frictional force?

The amount of frictional force is affected by the type of surface, the roughness of the surface, the weight of the object, and the force applied to the object.

How can frictional force be reduced?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces, using smoother surfaces, and reducing the weight or force of the object.