Friction Torque and Lost Energy in Colliding Disks: Where Did it Go?

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the disks A and B each have a rotational inertia of ##0.300 kg.m^2## about the central axis and a radius of ##20.0cm##.To set them spinning around the rod in the same direction,each wrapped with a string that is pulled for ##10.0s## (the string detaches at the end).The magnitude of the forces pulling the strings is ##30.0N## for a disk A and ##20.0N## for a disk B.After the strings detach,the disks happen to collide and frictional force between them to the same final angular speed in ##6.00s##.The average frictional torque that brings them to
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Disks A and B each have a rotational inerita ##0.300 kg.m^2## about the central axis and a radius of of ##20.0cm##and are free to rotate on a central rod through both of them.To set them spinning around the rod in the same direction,each wrapped with a string that is pulled for ##10.0s## (the string detaches at the end).The magnitudes of the forces pulling the strings are ##30.0N## for a disk A and ##20.0N## for a disk B.After the strings detach,the disks happen to collide and frictional force between them to the same final angular speed in ##6.00s##
What are (a) magnitude of the average frictional torque that brings them to the final angular speed and (b) the loss in kinetic energy as the torque acts on them? (c) Where did the "lost energy" go ?

Homework Equations

##τ=rFsinθ##
##τ=I∝##

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the angular accelerations for both objects
For A-
##τ=rF=I∝##

##∝=\frac {rF} {I}##

##∝=\frac {0.2m.30N} {0.3 kgm^2}=20\frac {rad} {s^2}##
For B-
##∝=\frac {0.2m.20N} {0.3 kgm^2}=13,3\frac {rad} {s^2}##

For angular speed (w) which they pulled ##10 sec##, so ##w-w_0=∝t##
##w_A=20.10=200\frac {rad} {s}##
##w_B=13,3.10=133\frac {rad} {s}##

They are coming equal in 6 sec so the change in ##w_A## is ##200-(\frac{200+133} {2})=33.5\frac {rad} {s}##

so angular acceleration is ##∝=\frac {33.5} {6}=5.58\frac {rad} {s^2}##
so
##τ=I∝=0.3.5.58=1.67N.m##

For (b)

Initial rotational kinetic energy for A is from ##\frac 1 2Iw^2=(0.5).(0.3) (200^2)##
Last kinetic energy for A is ##\frac 1 2Iw^2=(0.5).(0.3) (166.5^2)##
The difference is ##1841,66J## which its not the correct answer..

Or I tried ##Δ(E_r)=W=τΔθ=1.67Nm.33.5\frac {rad} {s}.6s=335.67J##
but answer says its ##333J##
Where I did wrong ?

And for answer c is of course heat

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
Where I did wrong
You stopped looking after considering A. What happens to B ?
The 333 or 336 comes about because you calculate with numbers instead of symbols. The advice is to work with symbols as long as feasible; then -- in the final expression -- a lot of things cancel and you get a more accurate answer.
Additional benefit: less typing on the calculator, less chance for typing errors and easier approximate checks on the numerical outcome.

BvU said:
You stopped looking after considering A. What happens to B ?
Ok for B I found ##1504.98J## so the difference between them should give us the result whch its approximatly ##336J##
BvU said:
The 333 or 336 comes about because you calculate with numbers instead of symbols
I found ##W=τΔθ## I can't use symbols after this ?

If logic is correct then I don't think 333J or 336J matter so much..?

Arman777 said:
I found ##W=\tau\delta\theta## I can't use symbols after this
You can express both factors in terms of given variables. If you do that, the correct answer is exactly 1000/3 J. You should do that exercise.

In such a calculation in an exercise, a 1% deviation is considered an error. Loss of score for no purpose.

Likes Arman777
Ok I found by ##W=I(w^2)##

##0.3.({200-(\frac {1000} {6}))^2}=W##

from there I found,but in exam or somewhere else I wouldn't do this probably...

Thanks

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate about an axis. It is often referred to as the rotational equivalent of force.

2. How is torque related to two disks colliding?

When two disks collide, they exert a force on each other that causes a torque. This torque is responsible for the rotation of the disks and is dependent on the mass, velocity, and distance of the disks from the axis of rotation.

3. How is the direction of torque determined in a two disk collision?

The direction of torque in a two disk collision is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the angular velocity of the disks, then your fingers will curl in the direction of the torque.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the torque in a two disk collision?

The coefficient of friction between the two disks will affect the magnitude of the torque in a collision. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a larger torque, while a lower coefficient of friction will result in a smaller torque.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque in two disk collisions?

Two disk collisions and the resulting torque have many real-world applications, such as in the design of gears and pulleys, the motion of rotating machinery, and even sports equipment like golf clubs and hockey sticks.