Frictional force on a car on an inclined plane

In summary, the equation to find the frictional force on a 2319kg car moving down a road with a slope grade of 11% and slowing down at a rate of 3.8m/s^2 is f= ma+ mgsinθ. The angle is found to be arctan(0.11)= 6.27. The acceleration should be entered as negative since the car is slowing down, but the overall answer may still be positive due to the negative direction of the acceleration.
Butterfly30
A 2319kg car is moving down a road with a slope grade of 11% and slowing down at a rate of 3.8m/s^2.Find the direction and magnitude of the frictional force ( define positive in the forward direction ie down the slope)

So the equation I have is f= ma+ mgsinθ. For my angle I get arctan(.11)= 6.27

Plug in. f= 2319*3.8 +2319*9.81*sin6.27 I've already drawn a FBD. since the friction is moving forward it should be a negative answer (according to the question)... BUT I'm confused because if its slowing down is my acceleration supposed to be negative when I plug it in. This would make my answer negative...but would the fact that the acceleration is moving in negative direction cancel it out and make it positive?? I know I'm confusing myself I just don't know if my (a) should be negative and how it will effect the sign of the overall answer...help please

Physics news on Phys.org
Butterfly30 said:
A 2319kg car is moving down a road with a slope grade of 11% and slowing down at a rate of 3.8m/s^2.Find the direction and magnitude of the frictional force ( define positive in the forward direction ie down the slope)

So the equation I have is f= ma+ mgsinθ. For my angle I get arctan(.11)= 6.27

Plug in. f= 2319*3.8 +2319*9.81*sin6.27 I've already drawn a FBD. since the friction is moving forward it should be a negative answer (according to the question)... BUT I'm confused because if its slowing down is my acceleration supposed to be negative when I plug it in. This would make my answer negative...but would the fact that the acceleration is moving in negative direction cancel it out and make it positive?? I know I'm confusing myself I just don't know if my (a) should be negative and how it will effect the sign of the overall answer...help please
Your relevant equation of motion is: [tex] mg\sin\theta - F_f = ma [/tex]

Oh, but do u enter my (a) as negative since the car is slowing down?

Related to Frictional force on a car on an inclined plane

1. What is frictional force on a car on an inclined plane?

The frictional force on a car on an inclined plane refers to the resistance force that acts against the motion of the car due to the contact between the car's tires and the inclined surface.

2. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the frictional force on a car?

The angle of the inclined plane directly affects the magnitude of the frictional force on a car. As the angle increases, the frictional force also increases, making it more difficult for the car to move up the incline.

3. What factors affect the frictional force on a car on an inclined plane?

The factors that affect the frictional force on a car on an inclined plane include the angle of the incline, the weight and mass of the car, the type and condition of the tires, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the surface of the inclined plane.

4. How can the frictional force on a car on an inclined plane be reduced?

The frictional force on a car on an inclined plane can be reduced by decreasing the angle of the incline, using tires with better grip, and reducing the weight of the car. Additionally, lubricants can be applied to the tires to reduce friction.

5. Why is it important to consider frictional force when driving on an inclined plane?

Frictional force on a car on an inclined plane is an important consideration because it affects the car's ability to move up or down the incline. It also has an impact on the car's acceleration and braking, which can affect the safety and efficiency of driving on an inclined surface.