Frictional force on an incline

In summary: You're almost there!F_f = 8596.88 NAnd then to find the friction coefficient, you would divide by the normal force, which is:F_n = mgcos(\theta) = (1970)(9.8)cos(8) = 19117.5 NSo, \mu = 8596.88/19117.5 \approx 0.449Just a couple of things to keep in mind: 1) Make sure you are consistent with your units. You used 9.8 m/s^2 for g but then used 1970 kg for m. If you are going to use 9.8 m/s^2, you need to use
biotech4me

Homework Statement

A 1,970-kg car is moving down a road with a slope (grade) of 14% while slowing down at a rate of 3 m/s^2. What is the direction and magnitude of the frictional force? (define positive in the forward direction, i.e., down the slope)?

Homework Equations

∫=μ*m*g*cosθ
Fn = m*g*cosθ
F= m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

i know m = 1970kg
a = -3m/s^2
g=-9.8m/s^2
So i converted the grade using arctan(14/100) = ~8°
then did tan(8°) = .14 = μ

Fn = (1970)(9.8)cos(8) = 19118N
19118*.14 = 2676.5N = ∫

thats as far as i could get but i know i missed a step somewhere. I did a similar problem and got it right but that was with a constant velocity. not sure where to throw that in here. would m*a be the normal force in this case?thanks in advance I've been reading these threads for a while and the community seems very helpful

Physics news on Phys.org
biotech4me said:

i know m = 1970kg
a = -3m/s^2
g=-9.8m/s^2

19118*.14 = 2676.5N = ∫

thats as far as i could get but i know i missed a step somewhere. I did a similar problem and got it right but that was with a constant velocity. not sure where to throw that in here. would m*a be the normal force in this case?

Why did you assume [itex] tan(\theta) [/itex] is the friction coefficient? That would mean that the friction coefficient is always just the grade, independent of what causes the friction. Obviously, that can't be the case.

To solve this problem, we don't even need to work with the normal force or friction coefficient, since they are both contained within [itex] F_{friction} [/itex] and we know all of the other necessary variables.

Here's how I worked it, where [itex] F_{s} [/itex] is the force "down the slope," or parallel to the slope surface:

[itex] F_{s} = mgsin(\theta) = (1970)(9.8)sin(8) = 2686.88 N[/itex]

It is only accelerating parallel to the plane's surface, so:

[itex] F_{s} - F_{f} = F_{net} = ma [/itex]

[itex] 2686.88 - F_{f} = 1970(-3) = -5910 [/itex]

[itex] F_{f} = 8596.88 N [/itex]

Then if you did want the friction coefficient, you would just divide that answer by the normal force. You would get:
[itex] \mu \approx .45 [/itex]

Edit: technically, I should have written [itex] F_{s} + F_{f} = F_{net} = ma [/itex], so that [itex] F_{f} [/itex] would have a negative sign since I defined "up the slope" as the negative direction, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Hint:
Force = mass * acceleration
(Be careful what value you take for the acceleration. Remember acceleration is a vector)

Welcome to PF!
biotech4me said:

Homework Statement

A 1,970-kg car is moving down a road with a slope (grade) of 14% while slowing down at a rate of 3 m/s^2. What is the direction and magnitude of the frictional force? (define positive in the forward direction, i.e., down the slope)?

Homework Equations

∫=μ*m*g*cosθ
Fn = m*g*cosθ
F_net= m*a

i know m = 1970kg
a = -3m/s^2
g=-9.8m/s^2
No, this method of calculating μ only applies when the object is moving at constant velocity.
19118*.14 = 2676.5N = ∫

thats as far as i could get but i know i missed a step somewhere. I did a similar problem and got it right but that was with a constant velocity. not sure where to throw that in here. would m*a be the normal force in this case?

thanks in advance I've been reading these threads for a while and the community seems very helpful
You have the correct equation for the normal force, but you don't need it in this problem. Apply Newton's 2nd law parallel to the incline after first identifying all the forces acting on the car. The friction force is one of the forces acting up the incline, what is the other force acting on the car down the incline? To solve for the friction force, you don't need to calculate the friction coefficient first...you can solve for it later if the problem asks for it. Watch signage.

sorry i have difficulty explaining thought processes.

i did (m*g*sin)/(m*g*cosθ) after eliminating the m and the g from both sides I am left with sinθ/cosθ. which is the same as tanθ

Fs+Ff=Fnet=ma

where Fs is the force of x so Fs = (1970)(-9.8)sinθ =-2686.88 (got something different here)
then Fnet = 1970(-3) = -5910N

5910- (-2686.88) so i got 8596.88? i don't even know anymore. going on 6 hours trying to wrap my head around this. starting to get delirious i will be back with fresh eyes in the early morning

biotech4me said:
sorry i have difficulty explaining thought processes.

i did (m*g*sin)/(m*g*cosθ) after eliminating the m and the g from both sides I am left with sinθ/cosθ. which is the same as tanθ

(m*g*sinθ)/(m*g*cosθ) is simply the ratio of force parallel to the slope to force perpendicular to it. It makes sense that this would be equal to the grade(i.e. also the ratio of the height/length of the slope) but it doesn't really do anything for you in this problem since you already know the angle of the slope.

where Fs is the force of x so Fs = (1970)(-9.8)sinθ =-2686.88 (got something different here)
then Fnet = 1970(-3) = -5910N

5910- (-2686.88) so i got 8596.88? i don't even know anymore. going on 6 hours trying to wrap my head around this. starting to get delirious i will be back with fresh eyes in the early morning

You are actually correct. That was my mistake, I boneheadedly used the grade instead of the angle. I guess you aren't the only one who needs some sleep here. :wink:

If you check back, my previous reply will be corrected.

Related to Frictional force on an incline

1. What is frictional force on an incline?

Frictional force on an incline is the force that opposes the motion of an object sliding or rolling down an inclined surface. It is caused by the interaction between the object and the surface it is moving on.

2. How is frictional force on an incline calculated?

Frictional force on an incline can be calculated using the formula F=μmgcosθ, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of inclination.

3. What factors affect the frictional force on an incline?

The frictional force on an incline is affected by the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface, the mass of the object, the angle of inclination, and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the angle of inclination affect the frictional force on an incline?

The greater the angle of inclination, the greater the frictional force on an incline. This is because the component of the gravitational force acting parallel to the incline increases with a steeper angle, increasing the force needed to overcome it.

5. Can the frictional force on an incline ever be greater than the force of gravity?

No, the frictional force on an incline can never be greater than the force of gravity. This is due to the fact that the maximum frictional force is equal to the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal force, which is always less than or equal to the force of gravity.