1-D Heat Distribution in Long Cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses a heat transfer problem involving a cylinder filled with hot water and heated to maintain a temperature of 100°C. The problem involves finding the heat loss from the cylinder to ambient air, the temperature as a function of radius, and the inner surface temperature. The person seeking help uses a method found on a university website and calculates a heat loss of 11,684 watts, which seems high. They then try to solve for c1 using a ΔTmax formula, but get conflicting results when comparing it to the convection equation. They also mention a possible error in the given dimensions.
Stomachbuzz
Moved from a technical forum, no template.
Hi there,

I've got a Heat Transfer problem that I can't seem to get right.

I will list all information in the problem without 'interpreting' it:
Givens: 100 cm long cylinder filled with hot water, and constantly heated to maintain the water at 100°C. Heat is transferred via conduction from inner to outer surface, and convection from there. Ignoring heat losses from top and bottom of cylinder.
InnerR=50cm, OuterR=62cm
Water temp = 100°C
Outer Temp = 80°C
Ambient Temp = 20°C
h = 10W/m^2 * K
k = 20W/m* K

"When operated steadily, the conduction heat transfer from outer surface to ambient air is equal to the conduction through the wall from inside surface to outside surface"

Find:
1) the heat loss from the cylinder to ambient air
2) Find T as a function of r
3) Find inner surface temperature

For 1, I used Qcond, cyl = -kA(dT/dr)
Q/(2πr*L) dr = -k dT
Integrate:
Q = 2πk*L (T1 - T2)/(ln(r2/r1))

I found this method from a University .edu site, and it made sense to me.
Plugging in numbers, I get Q = 2π * (20) * (1m) (20°C/ (ln(62/50)) = 11,684 watts.
This seems a bit high considering the mild ΔT and small volume but...what do I know

so I go onto part 2:
Again, drawing from .edu site, I use (d/dr (r * dT/dr)) = 0
Integrate: r * dT/dr = c1
Algebra: dT= c1 * (dr/r)
Integrate: T = c1 * ln(r/r1) + c2

I understand it that when r=r1 (inner radius), the temperature would be equal to inner surface temp. Which I want to assume is 100°C, but you know where that gets me...
I know when r=r2 T=Touter = 80°C
I'm trying to solve for c1 using a ΔTmax formula I found, and this is where it gets murky.

ΔTmax, cyl = (g⋅L2)/2k
L and k are given, but what's g, right?
Well, I figure I can just borrow Q from part 1, and divide by volume, no? Qdot = gdot * V
11684w / (.622 -.52)(π)(1m) = 27,672 w/m3 =gdot which, again, seems high but :confused:
The catch (for me at least) is trying to draw equivalence with the convection equation, Qdot = hA(Ts - T)
Using that one, Q= (10 w/m2 *k)(.62m * 2π) (80-20°C)= 10 * 3.896 * 60 = 2,337 watts
Which is much different. 2,337 ≠ 11684

What's goin on here?

Thanks in advance for the help. I've found my way onto this forum for years doing homework through HS and college. I know I'm in for a treat.

Including screenshot of homework problem here. I do realize it lists both 2m and 100cm as height. I figured it was an error (conflicting) and didn't matter as long as height used is consistent.
Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 11.26.19 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 11.26.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 11.26.19 PM.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 340
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer to 1 is wrong because you are assuming T1 is 100°C. (I would have too, but apparently not.) Since you are asked to find it in part 3, it is presumably not trivial. You don't even have to calculate the conduction, you just use the equation Q = hA(T2 - Tair), as you do at a later point and get (I think) the right answer, 2337 W. For part 2 you assume Qcond is the same as this, and integrate the conduction equation from r to r2. For part 3 you simply put in r = r1.

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is 1-D heat distribution in a long cylinder?

1-D heat distribution in a long cylinder refers to the transfer of heat energy along the length of a cylindrical object, where the temperature varies only in one dimension (along the length of the cylinder).

2. What factors affect 1-D heat distribution in a long cylinder?

The factors that affect 1-D heat distribution in a long cylinder include the material properties of the cylinder (such as thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity), the temperature difference between the ends of the cylinder, and the surface area of the cylinder.

3. How is 1-D heat distribution in a long cylinder calculated?

The 1-D heat distribution in a long cylinder can be calculated using the Fourier heat conduction equation, which takes into account the aforementioned factors as well as the time variable. This equation can be solved analytically or numerically using numerical methods.

4. What are some applications of 1-D heat distribution in long cylinders?

1-D heat distribution in long cylinders has many practical applications, such as in the design of heat exchangers, refrigeration systems, and thermal insulation materials. It is also relevant in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and energy production.

5. How does 1-D heat distribution in a long cylinder compare to other heat transfer modes?

Compared to other heat transfer modes, such as 2-D or 3-D heat distribution, 1-D heat distribution in a long cylinder is simpler to analyze and model. However, it may not accurately represent real-world scenarios, as heat transfer in most objects occurs in multiple dimensions.