Friis Path Loss on a Segmented Path Derivation

In summary, the Friis' Path Loss Formula calculates the path loss of a signal when it is transmitted and received from different points. If the intermediate point is back-to-back dishes, passive reflectors, reflections from buildings etc etc, it should be treated as two paths.
Frov_ken
Let's say we have a path Length AC. Point A transmits a signal at Ptransmit.
From Friis' Path Loss formula: (assumming Gain for receiver and transmitter antennae are 1.)
##P_{received} = P_{transmit} (\frac{λ}{4π* LengthAC})^2##
,when point C contains the receiver.

What if I divided this into two segments. They should still have the same answer right?
Let's say point B is somewhere between A and C.
Theoretically, the path loss in AB plus the path loss in BC should equal the path loss in AC. If I do this using the formula.

##P_{received at B} = P_{transmit} (\frac{λ}{4π* LengthAB})^2##
##P_{received at C} = P_{received at B} (\frac{λ}{4π* LengthBC})^2##

Combining these two should get me to the total of the equation before. How should I combine them? I couldn't just multiply or add them together. The math would be messy. Am I missing some assumptions here?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Frov_ken said:
Let's say we have a path Length AC. Point A transmits a signal at Ptransmit.
From Friis' Path Loss formula: (assumming Gain for receiver and transmitter antennae are 1.)
##P_{received} = P_{transmit} (\frac{λ}{4π* LengthAC})^2##
,when point C contains the receiver.

What if I divided this into two segments. They should still have the same answer right?
Let's say point B is somewhere between A and C.
Theoretically, the path loss in AB plus the path loss in BC should equal the path loss in AC. If I do this using the formula.

##P_{received at B} = P_{transmit} (\frac{λ}{4π* LengthAB})^2##
##P_{received at C} = P_{received at B} (\frac{λ}{4π* LengthBC})^2##

Combining these two should get me to the total of the equation before. How should I combine them? I couldn't just multiply or add them together. The math would be messy. Am I missing some assumptions here?
If you have two paths in tandem, they should be treated as two paths, each having two antennas and a free space attenuation. The losses in Decibels of the two paths should be added.
The reason that the answer is different to treating it as a single path is that most attenuation occurs at the start of the path, and for two paths this happens twice. For example, suppose a given path has an attenuation of 60dB. If you double the path length, it becomes only 66dB. But if the two paths are used in tandem, say by using a passive repeater, it will give 120dB.

Likes Frov_ken
tech99 said:
The reason that the answer is different to treating it as a single path is that most attenuation occurs at the start of the path,
So, how do you exactly define the start of a path when something like this involves an interaction at B?
let's say there's a reflection at point B. Will it "start" a new path? or is it safe to treat the total reflected path distance and treat it as a single path loss?

Frov_ken said:
So, how do you exactly define the start of a path when something like this involves an interaction at B?
let's say there's a reflection at point B. Will it "start" a new path? or is it safe to treat the total reflected path distance and treat it as a single path loss?
For the two paths in tandem to be calculated as one, the receiving antenna on the first hop must be large enough to catch all the radiated energy. So it might need to be a kilometre in diameter!
For cases where the intermediate point is back-to-back dishes, passive reflectors, reflections from buildings etc etc, treat it as two paths. The repeater has its gain twice - once for receiving and again for transmitting.

Likes Frov_ken
tech99 said:
For the two paths in tandem to be calculated as one, the receiving antenna on the first hop must be large enough to catch all the radiated energy. So it might need to be a kilometre in diameter!
Hmm. I think I'm getting the problem with my equation. As you said, I should be getting all energy. that just means the Friis' Path Loss Formula estimates a certain propagation area and a finite point where it is received. From the wikipedia page, I see it has assumed an isotropic case.

In the case of having reflections, I have to treat it as two paths. since it "starts" again as another wavefront.

I just clarified what you wrote in this text. Thank you!

1. What is Friis Path Loss on a Segmented Path Derivation?

Friis Path Loss on a Segmented Path Derivation is a mathematical equation used to calculate the attenuation or loss of signal strength between a transmitter and receiver when there are multiple segments or obstacles in the path of the signal. It takes into account the distance, frequency, and other factors that affect the signal's strength.

2. Why is Friis Path Loss on a Segmented Path Derivation important?

Understanding Friis Path Loss on a Segmented Path Derivation is important for designing and optimizing wireless communication systems. It allows engineers to predict the signal strength at a given distance and frequency, which can help in determining the required transmit power, antenna placement, and other parameters for successful communication.

3. How is Friis Path Loss on a Segmented Path Derivation calculated?

The equation for Friis Path Loss on a Segmented Path Derivation is: PL = 20log(d) + 20log(f) + K - Gt - Gr, where PL is the path loss in decibels, d is the distance between the transmitter and receiver, f is the frequency of the signal, K is a constant that accounts for environmental factors, Gt is the transmit antenna gain, and Gr is the receive antenna gain.

4. What are the assumptions made in Friis Path Loss on a Segmented Path Derivation?

There are several assumptions made in Friis Path Loss on a Segmented Path Derivation, including: - The antennas are isotropic (omnidirectional). - The path between the antennas is unobstructed and free of large obstacles. - There is no interference from other sources. - The antennas are well-matched and have a gain of 1 (0 dB). - The signal propagates in a straight line between the antennas.

5. How can Friis Path Loss on a Segmented Path Derivation be improved?

Friis Path Loss on a Segmented Path Derivation is a simplified model and may not always accurately predict the signal strength in real-world scenarios. It can be improved by using more advanced models, such as the Hata model, which takes into account additional factors like terrain, buildings, and other obstacles. Additionally, using directional antennas and signal amplification techniques can also help to improve signal strength and reduce path loss.