Fringes observed between the fingers

In summary, the conversation discusses observations and questions about the presence of fringes when looking at sunlight through a white curtain. The question is posed as to why fringes can still be seen even with a continuous spectrum of light, and if the human eye's ability to sense three basic colors may play a role. The conversation ends with a suggestion to search for more information on the interference of continuous spectrum light and a link to diagrams for further understanding.
sweet springs
In Feynman lectures on physics 26 Optics 5
---
Then put two fingers in front of one eye, so as to look through the crack, and squeeze the light to zero very gently. ... Also you will notice, if you are very careful, side maxima, a lot of fringes along the edges too. Furthermore, the whole thing is colored.
---

I observe these fringes looking sun light, not directly but through white curtain. I wonder why I can see fringes because sun light has continuous spectra so positions of fringes are different according to wave length of light components. I assume human eye structure sensing three basic colors may play a role but I am not confident about it at all. Your teachings is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I am afraid I do not have an appropriate supplementation. If light is monochromatic it's OK. I wonder why even continuous spectrum light I can see fringes. I appreciate your asking or request what kind of information you need for clarification and teachings. Thanks.

Last edited:
Well, if you put in white light and then diffract it and look at a place where around 700nm light would be at or near a minimum, is it going to be white? Or the same colour if you look where ~550nm light will be at a minimum?

Thanks a lot. I really enjoyed the figures.
The story is comprised of discrete wave light. I wish I could read a scenario for continuous spectrum for completion.
Thanks again.

1. What are fringes observed between the fingers?

Fringes observed between the fingers are interference patterns that occur when two light waves overlap and interfere with each other. They are commonly seen when holding your fingers close together and looking at a light source through them.

2. Why do fringes appear between the fingers?

Fringes appear between the fingers because of the phenomenon of diffraction, where light bends and spreads out when passing through a narrow opening. The narrow gap between the fingers acts as a slit, causing the light waves to diffract and create the interference pattern.

3. What causes the different colors in the fringes?

The different colors in the fringes are caused by the different wavelengths of light. As light passes through the narrow gap between the fingers, it diffracts and separates into its component colors. The different colors then interfere with each other to create the patterns we see.

4. Can fringes between the fingers be seen with any light source?

Yes, fringes between the fingers can be seen with any light source, as long as the light is coherent (all the light waves have the same frequency and are in phase with each other). This includes natural light sources like the sun, as well as artificial sources like lasers.

5. What can fringes between the fingers tell us about light?

Fringes between the fingers demonstrate the wave-like nature of light and the phenomenon of interference. They also show that light can diffract and separate into its component colors. This can be useful in understanding and studying the properties of light in various applications.