Thin Film Interference in Glass Plates: How Many Bright Fringes Will Be Seen?

In summary, the problem involves a broad beam of light with a wavelength of 683nm passing through a pair of glass plates separated by a wire. The air between the plates acts as a thin film and the question asks for the number of bright fringes that will be seen by an observer looking down through the top plate. To solve this, Snell's Law and the calculation of optical path difference can be used. However, the finite size of the plates may limit the number of bright fringes seen. The equation 2n_air*d=m*lambda can be used to solve for m, and possibly an integration may be needed to account for the varying distance between the plates.
klawlor419

Homework Statement

A broad beam of light, of wavelength 683nm is sent directly down through the top plate of a pair of glass plates. The plates are 120mm long, touch at the left end and are separated by a wire of a diameter .048mm at the right end. Air between the plates act as a thin film. How many bright fringes will be seen by an observer looking down through the top plate?

Homework Equations

Perhaps Snell's Law
Perhaps a calculation for the optical path difference.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really just not sure where to start with this. I have been plagued by these types of optics questions for a while. I think I basically have to calculate the Optical path difference and that will account for either constructive or destructive interference of the light, with an appropriate wavelength multiple added on to it.

I am not sure why there would be a limit on the number bright fringes seen by the observer looking down at the plates. I guess that is due to the finite size of the plate.

Is it just,
$$2n_{\text{air}}d=m\lambda$$
and solve for m? If so, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I need to do an integration summing up the m's for all the values of d. Because the plates go from 0mm separation to .048 mm separation.

1. What is thin film diffraction?

Thin film diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when light passes through a thin film and is diffracted due to interference between the waves reflected from the two surfaces of the film.

2. What factors affect the diffraction pattern in thin film?

The thickness and refractive index of the film, as well as the wavelength and angle of incidence of the light, are the main factors that affect the diffraction pattern in thin film.

3. How is thin film diffraction used in scientific research?

Thin film diffraction is used in various fields of scientific research, such as material science, biology, and optics, to study the properties of thin films, analyze their structures, and develop new technologies.

4. How is thin film diffraction related to X-ray diffraction?

Thin film diffraction and X-ray diffraction are both based on the principles of diffraction and interference. However, thin film diffraction is specific to thin films, while X-ray diffraction is used to analyze the crystal structure of materials.

5. What are some practical applications of thin film diffraction?

Thin film diffraction has many practical applications, including the creation of anti-reflective coatings on glasses and lenses, development of thin film solar cells, and production of holograms for security purposes.