From Civil Engineering undergrad to Physics grad

In summary: They might not be REQUIRED but my problem is,if i don't know those information contained in those courses,will i have a problem understanding something in my Master's degree?
Joker93
Hello,i am an undergraduate Civil Engineering student.When i finish my undergrad studies i want to pursue a masters degree in Physics(my ultimate goal is to get a PhD in Physics).Due to limitations in money i couldn't drop out of civil engineering and pursue an undergrad degree in Physics,so i am stuck with Civil Engineering.
My biggest concern is that i might not be able to be good enough at Masters level studies because i won't have the knowledge on basic physics that a physics major degree graduate will have,so i decided on doing a minor degree.The courses that i have decided to follow in the minor degree are
1)Classical Mechanics
2)Quantum Mechanics 1 and 2
3)Electromagnetism 1 and 2
4)Mathematical Methods in physics 1 and 2
5)Statistical Physics(includes Thermodynamics)
6)Waves and Oscillations.

As a Civil engineer i have taken courses on
1)fluid mechanics(many courses)
2)linear algebra
3)Differential equations
4)basic calculus
5)statistics and probabilities(math)
6)basic physics and basic calculus
7)Various courses on programming(also programming on oscillating systems)
8)Solving problems using Numerical Methods

What i want to ask you is this: do these courses cover the basic knowledge that one needs in order to successfully pursue a Master's degree in physics?I am afraid maybe these are not enough as the Physics department also offers more advanced courses on an undergrad level like:
1)Theoretical Physics(Basics on string theory,relativistic QM,etc)
2)Cosmology and General Theory of Relativity
3)Condensed Matter Physics
4)Theoretical particle Physics(QM electrodynamics,chromodynamics,etc)
5)Nuclear Physics
6)Electronic Systems/Physics(two different courses)
7)Atomic and Molecular Physics
8)Computational Physics

These advanced courses are all 4th year courses,so its like they use them in order to give the student the freedom to pursue his own goals in physics(choose where he goes from there) but i can only get one to three courses from these courses.
Problem is that i am doing the minor degree in an extra year so i only got one year to get every course that i want,so i might find some of these advanced courses a bit difficult due to the fact that i will be taking their prerequisite courses in the same term!Its i bit crazy,i know.

So,to sum it all up,keeping in mind the courses that i already decided to take,which of the more advanced courses of you think that are essential for graduate studies?
Also,will these even be enough or will i have additional problems while doing my Master's degree because i won't have taken every course that a physics major has?Also,keep in mind that i almost certainly become a theoretical physics rather than an experimental physicist.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The courses you are taking for a minor are more than the courses I'm taking for a major in physics... I'd say you'll be fine.

Likes MathewsMD
Dishsoap said:
The courses you are taking for a minor are more than the courses I'm taking for a major in physics... I'd say you'll be fine.
What about the more advanced ones?(the lowest list)
Wouldn't i need them?

Adam Landos said:
Wouldn't i need them?

I'm sure they wouldn't hurt, but every physics program I've seen has the requirement of a physics or related (e.g. Engineering) degree along with a year of classical mechanics, Electromagnetics, and quantum mechanics.

Adam Landos said:
Wouldn't i need them?

I'd say no. I'm taking computational courses at my school because my major is computational physics as opposed to general physics, but generally speaking, they have useful information but are not at all required to apply for a master's.

axmls said:
I'm sure they wouldn't hurt, but every physics program I've seen has the requirement of a physics or related (e.g. Engineering) degree along with a year of classical mechanics, Electromagnetics, and quantum mechanics.
They might not be REQUIRED but my problem is,if i don't know those information contained in those courses,will i have a problem understanding something in my Master's degree?

1. What inspired you to switch from Civil Engineering to Physics?

I have always been fascinated by the mysteries of the universe and the fundamental laws that govern it. While studying Civil Engineering, I realized that my true passion lies in understanding the inner workings of the world on a deeper level. This led me to make the switch to Physics, where I could explore topics such as quantum mechanics and astrophysics.

2. Was it difficult to transition from a different field of engineering to Physics?

The transition was definitely challenging, as the two fields have different approaches and methodologies. However, my background in engineering gave me a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills, which proved to be beneficial in my Physics studies. I also had to put in extra effort to catch up on some of the prerequisite courses, but it was a worthwhile journey.

3. What skills from your Civil Engineering degree do you find useful in your Physics studies?

Time management, critical thinking, and attention to detail are all valuable skills that I acquired during my Civil Engineering degree. These skills have been transferable to my Physics studies, especially when it comes to conducting experiments and analyzing data. Additionally, my knowledge of structural mechanics and materials has been useful in understanding certain concepts in Physics.

4. What advice would you give to someone considering a similar transition from Civil Engineering to Physics?

My advice would be to do thorough research and have a clear understanding of what you want to achieve by making the switch. It is also important to be prepared for a steep learning curve and to seek help when needed. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't give up if things get challenging. With determination and hard work, you can successfully transition to a different field of study.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone with a Physics degree after studying Civil Engineering?

A Physics degree opens up various career opportunities in fields such as research, academia, and industry. With a strong background in both Civil Engineering and Physics, one can pursue a career in areas such as geophysics, environmental science, or even structural engineering. The problem-solving and analytical skills gained from studying Physics can also be applied to a wide range of industries, making it a versatile degree with many job prospects.