From de Broglie's postulates to Shrödinger's equation

• I
  • Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Postulates
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation relating the frequency of a matter wave to its wavelength, which is essentially the Schrödinger equation. The equation is derived by assuming matter has a wavelike nature and using the energy and momentum formula for photons. It is also noted that the velocity of the plane wave attached to the particle is half of the particle's velocity. Mistakes in the calculations are pointed out, but they ultimately do not affect the final result.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Trying to make sense of a vague comment by Susskind
So I was watching one of Susskind's lecture on Youtube* and about the 37:00 mark he has this equation relating the frequency of a matter wave to its wavelength:

$$\nu = \frac{h}{2m\lambda^2}.$$

This is arrived at by assuming that matter has a wavelike nature and that the energy and momentum formula for the photon ([itex]E=h\nu[/itex] and [itex]p=h/\lambda[/itex]) still hold true for the matter wave. Then Susskind said that this is essentially just Shr¨ödinger's equation, or at least that Schrödinger was looking for an equation which would result in this relation between [itex]\nu[/itex] and [itex]\lambda[/itex]. But if I set [itex]\psi(x,t) = e^{i(x-vt)}[/itex] and use [itex]v=\lambda\nu[/itex], then feeding [itex]\psi[/itex] into Shrödinger's equation

$$\frac{1}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\psi = -\frac{i}{h}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi,$$

I find instead

$$\nu = \frac{h}{2m\lambda}.$$

What am I missing??

Physics news on Phys.org
The Schrödinger equation for a free particle will read (I think you have dropped a factor of ##2\pi##)$$i\hbar \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}$$Then if you let ##\psi(x,t) = Ae^{i(kx-\omega t)}##, you have ##\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} = - i \omega \psi## and ##\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2} = -k^2 \psi##. If you plug those results in, and use that ##\hbar k = p##, you will notice that$$\hbar \omega = \frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m} \implies h\nu = \frac{p^2}{2m}$$Now the velocity of a particle is identified as the group velocity, ##v_g = \frac{\partial \omega}{\partial k}##, which is twice the phase velocity, ##v_p = \frac{\omega}{k}##, i.e. ##v_g = 2v_p = 2\nu \lambda##, which means that$$h\nu = \frac{(mv_g)^2}{2m} = \frac{4\nu^2 \lambda^2 m^2}{2m} = 2\nu^2 \lambda^2 m$$ $$\nu = \frac{h}{2m \lambda^2}$$which is the equation in the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes quasar987
etotheipi, thanks for your answer! You made me realize that I made two mistakes. The first was to start from [itex]\psi(x,t) = e^{i(x-vt)}[/itex] and not realizing this implies [itex]\lambda=2\pi[/itex] and the other was to forget a factor of [itex]2\pi[/itex] in the SE. These mistakes "cancel out" in a sense because the computations with the correct factor of [itex]2\pi[/itex] lead to $$v = \frac{h/2\pi}{2m\lambda}$$ but since [itex]2\pi = \lambda[/itex] we get the desired form $$\nu = \frac{h}{2m\lambda^2}.$$ Or, in other words, if we (correctly) start from the more general expression[itex]\psi(x,t) = \exp\left[i\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}(x-vt)\right][/itex] then the SE implies $$v=\frac{2\pi\hbar}{2m \lambda}=\frac{h}{2m \lambda}$$ and finally the fundamental relation [itex]v=\lambda\nu[/itex] gives the desired result.

But you also make the observation that if we trust that [itex]p=h/\lambda[/itex] holds for massive particles as it does for photons, then we get $$v=\frac{p}{2m}=\frac{v_{particle}}{2}.$$ I.e. the velocity of the plane wave "attached" to the particle is half that of the particle itself!

Likes etotheipi
This is the phase velocity. If you take the group velocity, you'll get ##v=p/m##, as expected. That makes some sense, because the velocity of the particle is rather the velocity of the center of the wave packet rather than the phase velocity.

Likes quasar987