De Broglie Relations Confusion

In summary, the conversation revolves around a mistake in using the energy-momentum relation and the de Broglie wavelength equation to show that E=hf is true. The mistake was caused by using the phase velocity instead of the group velocity in the dispersion relation. The correct dispersion relation for free Schrödinger waves is provided and the topology of spacetime is discussed. The conversation ends with a comment unrelated to the initial topic.
lekh2003
Gold Member
I've been attempting to run through some quantum mechanics and I've seen something extremely odd, and I just can't spot my mistake.

I know the relationships: ##p = \frac{h}{\lambda}## and ##E = hf##. I also know the relationship ##E = \frac{p^2}{2m}##.

I tried to show using the energy-momentum relation and the de Broglie wavelength equation that ##E = hf## is true, but its simply inconsistent.

\begin{align}
E &= \frac{p^2}{2m}\\
&= \frac{(\frac{h}{\lambda})^2}{2m}\\
&= \frac{(\frac{hf}{v})^2}{2m}\\
&= \frac{\frac{E^2}{v^2}}{2m}\\
&= \frac{E^2}{2mv^2}\\
&= \frac{E^2}{2(\frac{h}{\lambda})v}\\
&= \frac{E^2}{2E}\\
&= \frac{E}{2}
\end{align}

Where am I messing this up?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've used the phase velocity: ##v_p = f\lambda = \frac{v}{2}##.

In the de Broglie mechanics it's the group velocity that is the velocity of the particle: ##v_g = v##.

Likes etotheipi, jfizzix, vanhees71 and 2 others
Thank you so much! Everything makes sense now, I read up some more on a StackExchange thread.

In other words you need to use the correct dispersion relation for free Schrödinger waves, which results from
$$E=\hbar \omega = \frac{p^2}{2m}=\frac{(\hbar k)^2}{2m},$$
i.e.,
$$\omega = \frac{\hbar}{2m} k^2.$$
In your notation it's
$$2 \pi f=\frac{h}{4 \pi m} \frac{(2 \pi)^2}{\lambda^2} \; \Rightarrow \; f=\frac{h}{2m \lambda^2}.$$

The neighborhood of an event includes points that are timelike, null, and spacelike separated from it; the light cone does not bound the neighborhood. The topology of spacetime is still ##R^4## even though the metric on it is not the one induced by that topology. Thanks

iosman001 said:
The neighborhood of an event includes points that are timelike, null, and spacelike separated from it; the light cone does not bound the neighborhood. The topology of spacetime is still ##R^4## even though the metric on it is not the one induced by that topology. Thanks
Did you attach this post to the wrong thread? It looks off-topic here.

iosman001 said:
The neighborhood of an event includes points that are timelike, null and spacelike separated from it; the light cone does not bound the neighborhood. The topology of spacetime is still R4R4R^4 even though the metric on it is not the one induced by that topologyhttps://chatavenue.vipThanks

thanks my issue has been fixed.

1. What are De Broglie relations?

The De Broglie relations, also known as the De Broglie equations, are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between the momentum and wavelength of a particle. They were first proposed by French physicist Louis de Broglie in the early 20th century as part of his theory of wave-particle duality.

2. How do De Broglie relations relate to quantum mechanics?

The De Broglie relations are an important part of quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. They help to explain the wave-like behavior of particles, such as electrons, which can exhibit both particle-like and wave-like properties.

3. Can you explain the mathematical equations for the De Broglie relations?

There are two main equations that make up the De Broglie relations. The first one is p = h/λ, where p is the momentum of a particle, h is Planck's constant, and λ is the wavelength of the particle. The second equation is E = hν, where E is the energy of a particle and ν is the frequency of its associated wave. These equations show the inverse relationship between momentum and wavelength, and the direct relationship between energy and frequency.

4. What is the significance of the De Broglie relations?

The De Broglie relations are significant because they helped to bridge the gap between classical physics and quantum mechanics. They showed that particles, which were previously thought to only have a particle nature, also have a wave nature. This has led to a better understanding of the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

5. How are the De Broglie relations used in practical applications?

The De Broglie relations have been used in many practical applications, including electron microscopy, particle accelerators, and quantum computing. They also play a crucial role in the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and semiconductors. Additionally, they are used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI, which rely on the wave-like properties of particles to create detailed images of the human body.