From spinor to ket space: Equivalents eigen equations

In summary, the equations "##\sigma . n X = 1*X##" and "##S. n| S. n; +\rangle = \frac{h}{4\pi}| S .n; +\rangle ##" are equivalent, with the only difference being that ##S## is the spin operator while ##\sigma## is a Pauli spin matrix. The half of Plank's constant factor is factored out in the latter equation to give a more purely mathematical representation.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Hello. I am having a little of trouble to understand how do we go from one equation involving spinors, to the "same equations in ket language".
Relevant Equations
"##\sigma . n X = 1*X##"
to
"##S. n| S. n; +\rangle = \frac{h}{4\pi}| S .n; +\rangle ##"​
X is a spinor
n is any unitary vector
sigma are the pauli matrices ##(\sigma 0, \sigma x,\sigma y,\sigma z)##
S is the spin vector.

It was claimed that both equations are equivalent, but i couldn't see why.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little bit confused by your notation (the periods specifically. do they represent subscripts?).
But I believe the only substantive difference in the two equations is that S is the spin operator i.e. the physical observable which generates rotations around some axis while ##\sigma## is a Pauli spin matrix which is proportional to the representation of the spin operator in the spinor representation of the rotation group.
[tex] J_n \to S_n= \frac{\hbar}{2} \sigma[/tex](and ## h = 2\pi \hbar##.)

So you could just as aptly have written ## S_.n X = \frac{h}{4\pi} X##.

So for example in the spinor representation (in the spin-z operator's eigen-basis):
[tex]J_z \to S_z = \frac{\hbar}{2}\sigma_z=\frac{\hbar}{2}\left(\begin{array}{rr} 1 & 0\\0 & -1\end{array}\right)[/tex] while in the vector representation (say of a massive boson) you have:
[tex]J_z \to \hbar\left(\begin{array}{rr}1 &0 &0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -1\end{array}\right)[/tex]
Here the ##J_z## is the physically interpreted operator representing the observable for z-component of spin in any representation. ##S_z## is (I believe in most texts) specifically its spinor representation and the half of Plank's constant factor is factored out to give the more purely mathematical Pauli spin matrix.

1. What is a spinor?

A spinor is a mathematical object that is used to describe the intrinsic angular momentum (spin) of particles in quantum mechanics. It is a complex vector that transforms differently from a regular vector under rotations.

2. What is ket space?

Ket space, also known as Hilbert space, is a mathematical space used to represent the state of a quantum system in quantum mechanics. It is a vector space that allows for superposition of states and is essential for calculating probabilities and making predictions in quantum mechanics.

3. What are equivalent eigen equations?

Equivalent eigen equations are mathematical equations that describe the same physical system but in different mathematical formulations. In the context of spinors and ket space, equivalent eigen equations are different ways of representing the same quantum system, allowing for different perspectives and calculations.

4. How are spinors and ket space related?

Spinors and ket space are closely related in the sense that spinors are used to represent the spin of particles in quantum mechanics, while ket space is used to represent the state of a quantum system. Spinors are often represented as kets in ket space, allowing for the calculation of spin-related probabilities and observables.

5. What is the significance of "From spinor to ket space: Equivalents eigen equations"?

This phrase refers to the connection between spinors, ket space, and equivalent eigen equations. It highlights the fact that different mathematical formulations can be used to describe the same physical system, and understanding this relationship can lead to a deeper understanding of quantum mechanics and its applications.