From theoretical physics master to 2nd year grad school

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of being admitted to a graduate school in the US directly into the second year after completing a theoretical Masters degree in the UK. It is mentioned that this is not a common practice and the individual expresses their desire to not waste another year taking similar courses. It is suggested that some universities may waive certain course requirements based on proficiency and prior grades, but this does not necessarily mean less credit hours will be required for graduation. The conversation also mentions that being admitted as a second year student may have disadvantages, such as being given only one chance to pass qualifying exams. It is recommended to contact specific graduate schools for more information.
grand_unifier
I would like to ask if anyone has been admitted to a graduate school(US) straight to 2nd year after a theoretical masters MSc degree in the UK.

I am asking because I would really like to study in the US, preferably on top universities but I don't want to waste another year taking essentially the same courses.

Is this even possible to do? I will be sending emails to each university independently but I guess that I can't really email all of them so I'm asking here.

Physics news on Phys.org
grand_unifier said:
straight to 2nd year

That's really not a thing in the US.

grand_unifier said:
but I don't want to waste another year taking essentially the same courses.

So there's nothing for you to learn? In that case, why does this take any time? You just zip through the homework and exams.

There are many universities with graduate physics programs that might accept you into their program and waive the requirement that you take one or more (core) courses that you might have taken before. Their consideration would no doubt depend on what proficiency you can demonstrate, for example your grade in the course, the quality of your earlier program, perhaps even a evaluation test. I speak from experience that I had some courses waived on the basis of a evaluation test, and/or earlier grades.

Now. notice I said waived, not given credit for it. For example, the physics program typically needs 45 credit hours or about 15 courses. Even if you got 3 courses waived, the university may still require you to get 45 credit hours. You would have the flexibility to replace 3 courses with other courses (which may not be as difficult), but this would not be good (from the students point of view ) as requiring only 39 credit hours. I was offered the option of having a course waived, and I elected to take it anyway. The reason was I could not think of a reason to take another course in it's place, that would be as valuable, even though I had the material before in another university. I needed a course to come up with the 45 credit hours.

As to another question, could you be admitted as a 2nd year student, I should state at my grad school(s), (I presume there are many others) there is some variation as to the length of the program. Some students complete their thesis and requirements in 6 years and some in 8 years. When your done, your done. Someone coming in their "second" year does not necessarily graduate earlier.

There are some cases where, so called "second year status" is a serious disadvantage. I personally know of a case where a person entering as a "second year graduate student" was give only one (only) chance to pass the physics graduate qualifying exam, (before the end of the second year), instead of up to 3 chances for first year students. Added to this the qualifying exam professor graders taught typically core (first year) courses, and had several exam takers in their class. These graders did not know the "second year student" from Adam, and this did not help. The graders might give a student they personally instructed the benefit of the doubt on an answer. I know this is not supposed to happen but I also know it happens.

In addition the courses you take as a second year graduate student (elective) might not be as useful in passing the qualifying exam than taking the first year (core) courses, which may be tested on these exams.

You could be in a much better position by considered as a "first year student".

Of course, it is best to E-mail, or discuss these matters with the specific graduate school and program specifically.

1. What is the difference between theoretical physics and other branches of physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical models and theories to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. It is primarily concerned with developing and testing theories that can explain the fundamental laws of nature, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. Other branches of physics, such as experimental physics, focus on conducting experiments and gathering data to test these theories.

2. What skills are necessary to pursue a career in theoretical physics?

To pursue a career in theoretical physics, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. A deep understanding of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics is also essential. Additionally, strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to think abstractly and creatively, are necessary for success in this field.

3. How does one become a theoretical physics master?

Becoming a theoretical physics master typically requires obtaining a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, followed by a graduate degree in theoretical physics. This could be a Master's degree or a Ph.D. program. During these programs, students will take advanced courses in theoretical physics and conduct research under the guidance of experienced physicists. It takes years of hard work, dedication, and a passion for the subject to become a theoretical physics master.

4. What are some potential career paths for someone with a degree in theoretical physics?

A degree in theoretical physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities. Many theoretical physicists go on to work in academia, conducting research and teaching at universities. Others may work in research and development for government agencies or private companies. Some may also pursue careers in finance, data science, or engineering, as the skills learned in theoretical physics are highly transferable to these fields.

5. How does one transition from a theoretical physics master to a second-year grad student?

Transitioning from a theoretical physics master to a second-year grad student typically involves applying to and being accepted into a Ph.D. program in theoretical physics. This process usually includes submitting transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose, as well as taking the GRE exam. Once accepted, students will continue their studies and research in a more focused and advanced manner, ultimately working towards completing their dissertation and earning a Ph.D. in theoretical physics.