Fruit Polishing Machine. Help for a student

In summary, the student is trying to design a machine to polish fruit and has run into difficulty. He has three possible designs to consider. The first is using rollers, which is not user-friendly and the second is using a device similar to a potato peeler, but with a brush plate instead of the cutting parts. The third is using a cloth belt that goes in a V between two rollers.
mrdavide
Fruit Polishing Machine. Help for a student!

Hey guys.
I’m a student from Politecnico di Milano, where I’m doing a graduate diploma in Design & Engineering. I have a problem related with the mechanic of my project: I am designing a machine to polish fruit in home environment (the machine should be small-max dimensions like a microwave). The problem is to find the better way to gently rotate the fruit in order to clean all the surface of the product. The machine should treat all fruit except bananas, grapes and those that are too soft and small (such raspberry, strawberry, ecc…). I attach my hypothesis so you can figure the problem better.

1-to use rollers, as it happens into an industrial environment or in the medicine field. I have already tried this device and it does work. The problem is that I’m designing a machine which has to be user friendly and this method doesn’t look like it's user friendly!
see image 1

2- To use a device like a salad spinner or a potatoes peeler but with a brush plate instead of the cutting parts. The problem, I think, is that the fruit cannot rotate properly, especially fruit like pears. See here: http://shop.scotsman.com/I-CC-D2983-UTN-2/automatic-potato-peeler.htm

3-To use a device similar to potatoes peeler but with roller on the spinning plate. See sketch 2. The rollers can be long or small, or more like wheels.

4-Is it possible to design a spinning plate with a shape that allows fruit to rotate without any other devices such brush, rollers, etc…? I think the shape, the spinning speed ω and the acceleration ω’ should be consider very carefully to allow the fruit rotation.
See skatch 3

Which one do you think works better? Why? Any suggestion is appreciated.

Maybe the problem looks easy for you…but not for me!

Thanks for your time
ciao

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 326
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 345
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 318
Engineering news on Phys.org

What about having a cloth belt that goes in a V between two rollers. The fruit sets in the bottom of the V as the cloth moves. Just a thought.

That's not a bad idea at all, Chayced. It led me to wonder, though, if you couldn't just use a couple of counter-rotating horizontal cylinders instead. It would have the same effect, but without the complication of using a belt.

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. I am thinking to use the rotating mechanism, such we find in a electric potatoes peeler. It looks easy and simple. The idea of Danger is not bad at all, but I am trying to design a product which is small and maybe your design will make it a little too big.

Anyway this is the new question:

How does a electric peeler work? In particular how is it able to rotate the fruit? The spinning action itself I think is not sufficient…maybe for the friction on the cutting plate? In a potatoes peeler the only part that rotate is the plate with the abrasive-cutting coating, while the bowl is firm…

Any knowledge will be appreciated.

Ciao

What is a fruit polishing machine?

A fruit polishing machine is a device used to clean and shine fruits, such as apples, pears, and oranges. It removes any dirt, debris, or wax on the surface of the fruit, leaving it looking more attractive and ready for consumption.

How does a fruit polishing machine work?

A fruit polishing machine typically uses brushes, water, and air to clean and polish the fruit. The fruit is fed into the machine, where it is first sprayed with water to remove any dirt or wax. Then, the brushes rotate and gently scrub the fruit, while air is blown to dry it and give it a shine.

What are the benefits of using a fruit polishing machine?

Using a fruit polishing machine can improve the appearance of fruits, making them more appealing to consumers. It can also help extend the shelf life of fruits by removing any bacteria or contaminants on the surface. Additionally, it can save time and labor compared to hand polishing fruits.

Are there any safety concerns when using a fruit polishing machine?

As with any machinery, there are some safety concerns when using a fruit polishing machine. It is important to read and follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully, wear appropriate protective gear, and ensure the machine is properly maintained and cleaned. It is also essential to properly dispose of any cleaning chemicals used in the machine.

How can a student benefit from learning about fruit polishing machines?

Studying fruit polishing machines can provide students with practical knowledge and skills in food technology and agriculture. It can also help students understand the importance of food safety and hygiene in food production and processing. Additionally, students can explore potential career opportunities in the food industry, such as food processing and quality control.