Frustrated by simple algebra problem

• Thread starter aerospacedout
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
So we make a linear approximation to the expansion of the rod as L - L_0 = m (t - t_0) where m is some constant. In this case we want to find m = a L_0 (the slope) and maybe L_0 as well (the intercept).In summary, the formula for the expansion of a metal rod under a change of temperature is L - L_0 = a L_0 (t - t_0). To express L as a linear function of t, we can treat the other quantities as constants and use the formula Y = mx + b. In this case, the slope is aL_0 and the y-intercept is L_0 - aL_0
aerospacedout

Homework Statement

For small changes in temperature, the formula for the expansion of a metal rod under a change of temperature is:
L-Lo = aLo(t - to)
L= length at temp. t
Lo= initial length at temp. to
a= constant that depends on metal
A) express L as a linear function of t. Find the slope and y intercept(hint: treat the other quantities as constants.)

Homework Equations

Y=mx+b
Y-Yo=m(x-xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution 1?: the slope is aLo as stated by the equation, and the y intercept is Lo...
Distribute
L= aLot-aLoto+Lo
L=Lo(at-ato+1)
Doesnt work, still has variable to, lo, etc.

Solution 2?: assume a=1
L=Lo(t-to+1)
Slope= Lo? Y intercept also lo?

Solution 3: Lo, a and to=0
L=0... doesn't work

Or, pretend all constants=1
L-1=1(t-1)
L=t
Seems too specific.

I don't really know from which other angle to tackle this problem, I would appreciate some ideas, although I can imagine the answer should be obvious to me. I don't know how to turn this fully into y=mx+b. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are to, lo variables? Or are they constants which look like variables?

SteamKing said:
Are to, lo variables? Or are they constants which look like variables?

They are constants i suppose, because they are the initial condition which doesn't change. But i don't understand what "treat them as constants" means... does it mean i could just ignore them?

Tried another way..
From L=aLot-aLoto+lo
Y intercept= aLoto+lo
Slope=aLo

Last edited:
aerospacedout said:
They are constants i suppose, because they are the initial condition which doesn't change. But i don't understand what "treat them as constants" means... does it mean i could just ignore them?

Tried another way..
From L=aLot-aLoto+lo
Y intercept= aLoto+lo
Slope=aLo
That y intercept is -aL0t0 + L0 .

Either way might be correct.

The initial result is correct if the y-axis is at t = t0 .

The result is the post quoted here is correct if the y-axis is at t = 0 .

The slope is the same in both cases.

The result you have in your Original Post makes more sense to me.

aerospacedout said:

Tried another way..
From L=aLot-aLoto+lo
Y intercept= aLoto+lo
Slope=aLo

Your final answer here is not quite correct. If we use 'intercept' to have its normal meaning, then you need Intercept = L_0 - a L_0 t_0 (not L_0 + a L_0 t_0 as you wrote).

"Treating them as constants" means that they are not the variables in this problem, but certainly you cannot ignore them. The only "variables" here are L and t. In a specific problem the parameters L_0 and t_0 would be given some numerical values, but that would still allow L and t to vary.

Last edited:

1. Why do I get frustrated by simple algebra problems?

Frustration with algebra problems is common among students because it involves abstract thinking and multiple steps. When we are unable to solve a problem quickly, it can lead to feelings of frustration and discouragement.

2. How can I overcome my frustration with algebra problems?

One way to overcome frustration with algebra problems is to break them down into smaller, manageable steps. It can also be helpful to practice regularly and seek help from a teacher or tutor when needed.

3. Is it normal to struggle with simple algebra problems?

Yes, it is normal to struggle with algebra problems, especially when first learning the concepts. It takes time and practice to become comfortable with algebra and its problem-solving techniques.

4. What are some tips for solving simple algebra problems?

Some tips for solving simple algebra problems include checking your work, using the correct order of operations, and practicing regularly. It can also be helpful to approach problems with a positive attitude and break them down into smaller steps.

5. Will I ever be able to solve algebra problems without getting frustrated?

With practice and persistence, it is possible to solve algebra problems without getting frustrated. Remember to approach problems with a positive attitude and seek help when needed. As you become more familiar with the concepts and techniques, you will likely experience less frustration.