Solving Simple SR Questions: Find Proper Length & Speed of a Spacecraft

• Thread starter Murgs2012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sr
In summary, the conversation discusses an observer on the moon measuring the time and length of a passing spacecraft. The proper length is defined as the length measured in the rest frame of the object, and in this case, it is found to be 1.5005m at a speed of 0.025c. The conversation also mentions using the low speed approximation to calculate the proper length.
Murgs2012

Homework Statement

An observer at a station on the moon measures the time of a spacecraft passing
with constant speed v. The front of the spacecraft passes him at 0 s and the rear
at 0.2 μs. The observer measures the length of the spacecraft to be 1.5 m.
Explain briefy the term proper length. What is the proper length and the speed
v (in units of c) of the spacecraft ?

Homework Equations

L=Lo/γ
T=To*γ

The Attempt at a Solution

The definition for proper length we've been given is "The length Lo of an object measured in the rest frame of the object is the PROPER LENGTH".

I've tried to think of it in terms of "events" and I'm getting the timings occur at the same place in space by the observer, but the measurements aren't as its at the back and front of the rocket (probably where I'm going wrong).
So I'm saying L=1.5m and To=0.2μs, which from v=L/To gives 7.5E6 m/s or 2.5E-2 c.

so to find Lo use L=Lo/γ→ Lγ=Lo then because its fairly slow speed use low speed approximation (because γ=1.0005 without it) of γ=1+(1/2)β^2

which give the proper length to be 1.5007m and yeah that seems wrong.

any help appreciated, and more so how to think when tackling these problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Murgs2012! :smile:
Murgs2012 said:
So I'm saying L=1.5m and To=0.2μs, which from v=L/To gives 7.5E6 m/s or 2.5E-2 c.

so to find Lo use L=Lo/γ→ Lγ=Lo then because its fairly slow speed use low speed approximation (because γ=1.0005 without it) of γ=1+(1/2)β^2

which give the proper length to be 1.5007m and yeah that seems wrong.

Looks ok, apart from the 7.

so would i be correct in saying that because it is moving at non-relativistic speeds (0.025c) the length contraction is effectively zero so the proper length and the contracted length are both 1.5m?

no, i meant, i don't get 7

Oh sorry, just re-did it and got 1.5005m?

that's what i get :smile:

(is it right?)

No idea, downside of university "problems "(past paper in this case) are the lack of answers because they love repeating questions across years :\.
But if we both got to the same answer I'll take it as right :)

Thanks for the help.

Related to Solving Simple SR Questions: Find Proper Length & Speed of a Spacecraft

1. How do you calculate the proper length and speed of a spacecraft?

To calculate the proper length and speed of a spacecraft, you will need to use the equation L = v * t, where L is the length, v is the speed, and t is the time. First, determine the desired length of the spacecraft. Then, calculate the time it will take to travel that distance at the desired speed. Finally, plug in these values to find the proper speed.

2. What units should be used for length and speed in the calculation?

The units used for length and speed in the calculation should be consistent. Common units for length include meters, kilometers, or miles, while common units for speed include meters per second, kilometers per hour, or miles per hour. It is important to use the same units in order to get an accurate calculation.

3. How does the mass of the spacecraft affect the calculation?

The mass of the spacecraft does not directly affect the calculation of the proper length and speed. However, it can indirectly affect the speed by changing the amount of force needed to accelerate the spacecraft. The larger the mass, the more force is needed to achieve a certain speed.

4. Can the calculation be used for any type of spacecraft?

Yes, the calculation for finding the proper length and speed of a spacecraft can be used for any type of spacecraft, as long as the same units are used for length and speed. It is a basic equation that can be applied to any situation where distance, speed, and time are involved.

5. Are there any other factors that should be considered when solving simple SR questions about spacecraft?

Yes, there are other factors that should be considered when solving simple SR questions about spacecraft. These include factors such as gravity, atmospheric conditions, and the spacecraft's propulsion system. These factors can affect the speed and distance of the spacecraft and should be taken into account for a more accurate calculation.