Frying food - Dry breadings vs liquid breadings

• Misc.
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food Liquid
In summary: 3. Amount of crunch desired. Fish batters can be thin, like tempura, or thick like breading for fried chicken. 4. Adhesion. Flour and buttermilk provide excellent adhesion to fish. 5. Tradition. Historically, fish has been fried in batter and breading.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Are dry breadings generally better on some foods than on others?
Most recipes I see on the internet for fried chicken advocate a dry breading. By contrast, most recipes for fried fish use a liquid breading, although they sometimes specify a preliminary coating with flour before the fish is dipped in the liquid breading. Are there reasons for this pattern - other than tradition?

Likes symbolipoint
Physics news on Phys.org
Now this is an important question. I am still searching for reliable rules of thumb. In my experience the issues can be distilled to two: (1)adhesion and (2) amount of crunch desired.

Chicken and catfish are often done in various dry crumbs but usually after a soak in buttermilk. Calamari just wants wheat flour alone. Then there is tempura which is actually a very simple batter on a variety of stuff. And there are batters which contain egg for the less delicate. And sometimes an egg-wash !

I admit to not getting predictable results. In my experience the most difficult thing to get just right is the perfect onion ring. I intend to pursue this question so long as there is oil to heat...

Likes jim mcnamara and symbolipoint
I think @Stephen Tashi lives at an elevation over 3500 feet. This reduces the reliability of most recipes that rely on steam -- deep frying is one of them. The BP of ##H_2O## is ~95.5°C (204°F). This affects cooking times, temperatures for oil, required starting moisture content, and patience for failure. Baking is a real PITA at high elevation until you get the hang of it. Had at house at 9300 feet. :oldgrumpy:

So I can empathize...

Likes BillTre
Stephen Tashi said:
Are there reasons for this pattern - other than tradition?
1. Cooking time. Deep fry a wet fish batter for long enough to cook chicken and it will be rock hard (British readers excuse the pun).
2. Insulation. A wet batter creates an insulating layer as the water turns to steam, protecting the delicate fish inside. Catfish is less delicate than fish that are traditionally fried in batter such as cod.

Likes Stephen Tashi

1. What is the difference between dry breadings and liquid breadings?

Dry breadings are coatings made from dry ingredients such as flour, breadcrumbs, or cornmeal. Liquid breadings, on the other hand, are made from wet ingredients like eggs, milk, or buttermilk. The main difference is the texture and consistency of the coating.

2. Which type of breading is better for frying food?

Both dry and liquid breadings have their own advantages and can be used for frying food. Dry breadings tend to create a crispier and more textured coating, while liquid breadings can result in a thicker and more even coating. The choice ultimately depends on personal preference and the type of food being fried.

3. Can I use both dry and liquid breading for the same food?

Yes, you can use both dry and liquid breadings for the same food. This is known as a double breading method, where the food is first coated in a liquid breading, then in a dry breading. This can result in a thicker and more flavorful coating.

4. How do I prevent the breading from falling off during frying?

To prevent the breading from falling off during frying, make sure to properly coat the food with the breading mixture and then let it sit for a few minutes before frying. This will help the breading adhere to the food better. Additionally, make sure the oil is at the right temperature and avoid overcrowding the frying pan.

5. Can I use gluten-free ingredients for breading?

Yes, you can use gluten-free ingredients for breading. There are many gluten-free options available, such as gluten-free breadcrumbs, cornmeal, and rice flour. These can be used in both dry and liquid breadings to create a delicious and crispy coating for fried foods.