FUn questions - Probability - help

In summary, the conversation was about understanding the probability of finishing in the top 3 in an upcoming race and how it relates to being selected for the Olympic team. John's probability is 0.4 while Bill's is 0.25, but if John doesn't finish in the top 3, Bill's probability increases to 0.35. Using the law of total probability, we can solve for the probability of John getting on the Olympic team if Bill finishes in the top 3, which is 0.16. The equation used was P(J|B) = P(JnB)/P(B) and the values used were P(J) = 0.4, P(B) = 0.25, and
apoechma
FUn questions - Probability - help!

Hello! I need help understanding how to get to the answers on this question. I would be sooo appreciative if someone woule write it out and explain it, as once I understand this I can understand a lot more! I REALIZE they are VERY BASIC! so for many it will be easy, for me its not so easy!

Here we go!

IN an upcoming race, athletes have to finish first, second, or third in order to be selected for the team. The probabolity that John will finish in the top 3 is .40, wereas the probability that bill will finish in the top 3 is only .25. However, if John doesn't finish in the top 3, then Bills probabiltiy of finishing in the top 3 increases to .35. IF Bill was to finish in the top 3, what is the probability that Jogn will get on the olympic team?

The answer is .16.

Please how do we get there? I think we use the equation of P(A/B)= P(AnB)/ P(B)?

Thank u!

Physics news on Phys.org

P(J|B)P(B) = P(JnB) = P(BnJ) = P(B|J)P(J) .

Im still having a hard time, cud someone please put the numbers into the equation for me? Once I see this I will understand SO MANY more questions! THank you sooo mUCH!

IN an upcoming race, athletes have to finish first, second, or third in order to be selected for the team. The probabolity that John will finish in the top 3 is .40, wereas the probability that bill will finish in the top 3 is only .25. However, if John doesn't finish in the top 3, then Bills probabiltiy of finishing in the top 3 increases to .35. IF Bill was to finish in the top 3, what is the probability that Jogn will get on the olympic team?

P{J} = 0.4; P{B} = 0.25; P{B|~J} = 0.35; P{J|B} = ?

Law of total probability, or Bayes's Law:
P{B} = P{B|J}P{J} + P{B|~J}P{~J}
0.25 = P{B|J} 0.4 + 0.35 (1-0.4)
Solve for P{B|J}, call it x

From the definition of conditional prob.:
P{JnB} = P(BnJ) = P(B|J)P(J) = x P{J} = x 0.4
P{J|B} = P{JnB}/P{B} = x 0.4/0.25

EnumaElish

Thank u!

Related to FUn questions - Probability - help

1. What is probability and why is it important?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is important because it allows us to make predictions and decisions based on the likelihood of certain outcomes.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is often represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual observations and may vary from the theoretical probability.

4. How can probability be used in real life?

Probability can be used in many real-life situations, such as predicting the weather, determining the likelihood of winning a game or lottery, and making informed decisions based on risk assessment.

5. Can probability be used to make accurate predictions?

While probability can give us an idea of the likelihood of certain outcomes, it cannot guarantee a specific result. Factors such as chance and randomness can also play a role, making it difficult to make completely accurate predictions.