Help designing fun lesson plan with permutations, combinations, etc

In summary, the class is struggling to come up with ideas for activities to teach the counting principle, permutations, and combinations. One suggestion is to do a game of Battleship, but the students are not very enthusiastic about this idea. Another suggestion is to have students generate solutions to problems about "How many ways can you make change for a... using ...", but this is not very original. The class is looking for more original ideas to teach these concepts.
srfriggen
Hello everyone,

I am an aspiring math teacher taking a workshop type class and in two weeks my group will be teaching the other students various topics on probability. We are trying to come up with a fun and interactive way to teach the counting principle, permutations, and combinations. To give you an example of other activities, for geometric probability we are doing a large game of Battleship where the class will be split into two teams and only be allowed to "fire" upon the other team after answering review questions and questions relating to geometric probability. Geometric probability falls naturally into battleship and we foresee this playing out in a very fun and energetic way.

I cannot say the same for any of the ideas we've tried to come up with for counting. Normally, in a class setting, with these topics, I would see no problem with lecturing a little and having students complete activity sheets, but the point of this class is to go all out and be as creative as we can for the days we are teaching our peers.

Can anyone think of anything fun and original that could work to teach one or more of these concepts (counting principle, permutations, combinations). The class is usually expected to split into groups of 3 or 4.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the students can do algebra, introduce them to generating functions by solving problems about "How many ways can you make change for a... using ...".

To me it is more pleasant to see the general principle of generating functions before seeing the binomial theorem and the binomial coefficients as a special case.

There are a lot of counting problems in gambling and other things. I don't know how original these are: Odds of winning the lottery. Odds of poker hands. Odds of guessing all the NCAA basketball playoff games correctly. Odds of guessing someone's random password using a variety of password strength rules. Odds of two people in the class having the same birthday.

What are permutations and combinations?

Permutations and combinations are mathematical concepts used to calculate the number of possible arrangements or selections of a set of objects, without repetition and with or without regard to the order in which they are arranged.

Why is it important to incorporate permutations and combinations in a lesson plan?

Introducing permutations and combinations in a lesson plan can help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also allows them to apply these concepts in real-life situations, such as in probability and statistics.

How can I make a lesson plan involving permutations and combinations fun for students?

One way to make a lesson plan on permutations and combinations more engaging is to use hands-on activities, such as using manipulatives or playing games. You can also relate the concept to real-life scenarios, such as planning a menu or organizing a bookshelf.

What are some resources I can use to create a fun lesson plan on permutations and combinations?

There are many online resources available, such as interactive games, worksheets, and lesson plans, that can help you create a fun and engaging lesson plan on permutations and combinations. You can also consider using real-life examples or incorporating technology, such as graphing calculators, to make the lesson more interesting.

How can I assess students' understanding of permutations and combinations?

You can assess students' understanding of permutations and combinations through various methods, such as quizzes, hands-on activities, and group projects. It is essential to provide students with opportunities to apply the concepts to different scenarios to assess their understanding fully.