Fun stuff you get to do as a nuclear engineer?

In summary, as a nuclear engineer, one gets to do a lot of thermo-mechanical analysis of nuclear fuel under various operating conditions, as well as design and analyze core structures. This often involves developing models and using FEM and multiphysics simulations. There is also work in surveillance of fabrication processes and exotic nuclear systems, such as spacecraft propulsion. Nuclear engineers also participate in seminars, attend conferences, and are involved in various engineering and technical societies. The work is challenging and satisfying, especially when predictions made through numerical simulations are confirmed by experiments.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
what kind of fund stuff do you get to do as a nuclear engineer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One of the first steps was learning to spell his name... :-p

Danger said:
One of the first steps was learning to spell his name... :-p

doh! And I can't edit titles here can I?

But I can... :wink:

Doc Al said:
But I can... :wink:

thanx kindly, Doc.

:biggrin:...

I feel like we just had Astronuc's birthday party without him or something.

:smile: Mostly thermo-mechanical (numerical and highly non-linear) analysis of nuclear fuel under the normal steady-state and transient operating conditions, and not so normal conditions that hopefully will never happen except in special experiments. This requires the development of special models of the physical and mechanical properties of the materials of the fuel and its environment. Then one has to model the power/irradiation history with reasonable spatial resolution. We use special FEM and multiphysics models. We then simulate separate-effects and integrated experiments to verify and validate particular models and the integrated codes, and then we perform predictive analysis.

Similar work is done on core structures.

Way back when, in grad school, I did things like core/reactor design studies.

Then there are special areas in which I work, such as surveillance of fabrication processes and how they are applied to fuel and core components.

Then there is the really unusual stuff (design and analyses) with exotic nuclear systems like spacecraft propulsion systems (which is not in high demand these days :frown: ).

And various insundry.

And participate in PF. :biggrin:

Last edited:
He also does weddings and bar-mitzvahs.

Ba-dump-tish.

Whew! I thought something happened to him. Don't do that!

Mallignamius said:
Whew! I thought something happened to him. Don't do that!
:smile: I thought something had happened to me too! :smile: :biggrin:

Actually, I enjoy what I do, especially since two friends recently hired on, and there are four of us from the same grad program at the company.

I also do seminars and attend conferences. I used to travel to Europe twice a year and Japan/Asia at least once a year to give seminars on nuclear technology and related subjects. I hope to be doing more of that.

I also participate in a number of engineering and technical societies related to materials, energy and nuclear technology.

It keeps me busy.

Oh, and I need to find my replacement.

Last edited:
Hah, I was about to post a reply asking what you just answered- enjoyment. I am looking at school this fall and a physics career is one of my choices. The other being programming. Physics I think I would love... Programming I think I could handle.

Astronuc said:
:smile: Mostly thermo-mechanical (numerical and highly non-linear) analysis of nuclear fuel under the normal steady-state and transient operating conditions, and not so normal conditions that hopefully will never happen except in special experiments.

Is this in any way related to chaos theory in plasmas? SOC systems and what not?

Pythagorean said:
Is this in any way related to chaos theory in plasmas? SOC systems and what not?
Well, it's not plasma. We like to keep our fuel solid and dimensionally stable, but there is bounded chaos in the sense that it is stochastic. This is particularly challenging when trying to define the technical limit(s) of operating fuel and then operating as close to the technical limit without failing.

I also get involved in why things fail when they were not expected to do so. So I have to know a little about methods of NDT and DT.

Mallignamius said:
Physics I think I would love... Programming I think I could handle.
Or do both. There is a lot of numerical analysis in physics and engineering now, because we can't possible do experiments on all conceivable combinations of variables. So we build numerical models based on what limited experiments we can do, and then we try to predict/forecast what happens in a given situation. It's very satisfying to do a prediction beforehand and then have an experiment or actual situation do pretty much what the simulation predicted. :cool:

Astronuc said:
Or do both. There is a lot of numerical analysis in physics and engineering now, because we can't possible do experiments on all conceivable combinations of variables. So we build numerical models based on what limited experiments we can do, and then we try to predict/forecast what happens in a given situation. It's very satisfying to do a prediction beforehand and then have an experiment or actual situation do pretty much what the simulation predicted. :cool:

I like that! Now I actually have a direction to look into. :smile:

Related to Fun stuff you get to do as a nuclear engineer?

Question 1:

What is the most exciting aspect of being a nuclear engineer?

As a nuclear engineer, the most exciting aspect is the opportunity to work with cutting-edge technology and solve complex real-world problems related to nuclear energy. This field offers a unique blend of science, engineering, and innovation that can be both challenging and rewarding.

Question 2:

Is it true that nuclear engineers get to play with radioactive materials?

While it may sound like a glamorous activity, nuclear engineers do not "play" with radioactive materials. They are highly trained professionals who handle these materials in a safe and controlled manner for research, energy production, or medical purposes. Safety protocols and regulations are strictly followed to prevent exposure to harmful radiation.

Question 3:

What kind of experiments do nuclear engineers conduct?

Nuclear engineers conduct a wide range of experiments, including designing and testing new reactor components, studying the effects of radiation on materials, and developing new methods for nuclear waste management. They also use computer simulations and modeling to analyze data and predict outcomes.

Question 4:

Do nuclear engineers only work in power plants?

While many nuclear engineers do work in power plants, there are also opportunities in other industries such as healthcare, national defense, and research and development. Nuclear engineers are also involved in designing and maintaining nuclear propulsion systems for naval vessels and spacecraft.

Question 5:

How does being a nuclear engineer contribute to society?

Nuclear engineers play a crucial role in providing clean and reliable energy to communities, which helps reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and mitigate climate change. They also contribute to advancements in medical imaging and cancer treatment, as well as national security through the development of nuclear weapons and reactors for naval vessels.