Function f(x,y,z) of three variables becomes z = g(x,y)

In summary: To be explicit, at ##(x_0,y_0,z_0)## we have ##z_0 = f(x_0,y_0,z_0) = 0## so ##z_0 dx + f_y dy + f_z dz = 0##. But then ##dz = - f_y dy/f_z##, and that is a perfectly good expression for ##dz## as a function of ##x## and ##y## in a neighborhood of ##(x_0,y_0)##.
tomkoolen
Hello everyone,

I have a theoretical calculus question. I am working on a exercise where you have to consider f(x,y,z) and express the variable z as a function of x and y on a certain level surface around a certain (x0,y0,z0).

I found out that the condition for this to be able is that the triple (x0,y0,z0) is such that ∂f/∂z > 0. I am able to do the rest of the exercise because I know the rules as to how to find derivatives of this g(x,y) and other things, but I want to know exactly why the condition stated above works.

What I can think of myself: There has to be a positive change in f when z changes is the meaning of the condition. I must be overlooking something, because I don't see why this makes z expressable in terms of x and y. If anyone could clarify, thank you very much!

Kind regards,
Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
tomkoolen said:
Hello everyone,

I have a theoretical calculus question. I am working on a exercise where you have to consider f(x,y,z) and express the variable z as a function of x and y on a certain level surface around a certain (x0,y0,z0).

I found out that the condition for this to be able is that the triple (x0,y0,z0) is such that ∂f/∂z > 0. I am able to do the rest of the exercise because I know the rules as to how to find derivatives of this g(x,y) and other things, but I want to know exactly why the condition stated above works.

What I can think of myself: There has to be a positive change in f when z changes is the meaning of the condition. I must be overlooking something, because I don't see why this makes z expressable in terms of x and y. If anyone could clarify, thank you very much!

Kind regards,
Tom

No need to write in bold. Could you maybe give the question?

Sorry I didn't see I was writing in bold.
The question is: Why does the condition ∂f/∂z > 0 make g(x,y) exist on the level surface? I don't understand the theory behind it.

To write [itex]z = g(x,y)[/itex] you need [itex]z[/itex] to be uniquely determined by [itex](x,y)[/itex]. In other words, [itex]f(x,y,z) = C[/itex] must have a unique solution for [itex]z[/itex] given [itex](x,y)[/itex]. This can be guaranteed by insisting that [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} >0[/itex] so that given [itex](x,y)[/itex] there is at most one [itex]z[/itex] such that [itex]f(x,y,z) = C[/itex].

tomkoolen said:
Sorry I didn't see I was writing in bold.
The question is: Why does the condition ∂f/∂z > 0 make g(x,y) exist on the level surface? I don't understand the theory behind it.

First of all: it works equally well if ##\partial f /\partial z < 0## instead. All you need is ##\partial f /\partial z \neq 0##.

Denote the partial derivatives by subscripts, so that ##f_x = \partial f/\partial x##, etc. Geometrically: the gradient vector ##\nabla f = (f_x, f_y, f_z)## is perpendicular to the tangent plane of ##f## at ##(x,y,z)##, so if ##f_z(x_0,y_0,z_0) = 0## the tangent plane is vertical (parallel to the ##z##-axis) at ##(x_0,y_0,z_0)##. That means that ##z## could not be a nice, smooth, single-valued function of ##x## and ##y## in the immediate vicinity of ##(x_0,y_0)##.

Alternatively, from ##f(x,,y,z) =0## we have ##f_x dx + f_y dy + f_z dz = 0##, so if ##f_z \neq 0## we can divide through by it to get
[tex] dz = -\frac{f_z}{f_z} dx - \frac{f_y}{f_z} dy. [/tex]
This is a partial differential equation to determine ##z## in terms of ##x## and ##y##.

1. What is the meaning of "function f(x,y,z) of three variables becomes z = g(x,y)"?

The statement means that the function f has three independent variables - x, y, and z - and the output or dependent variable is represented by z. This output value can be expressed as a function of the three input variables x, y, and z, which is denoted by g(x,y).

2. What is the difference between independent and dependent variables in this context?

In this context, the independent variables are x, y, and z, which can take on different numerical values. These variables are not affected by any other variables in the function and are used to determine the output value of z. On the other hand, the dependent variable z is the output of the function and its value depends on the values of the independent variables.

3. How is z = g(x,y) different from z = g(x,y,z)?

The main difference between these two statements is the number of independent variables. In z = g(x,y), there are only two independent variables, while in z = g(x,y,z), there are three. This means that the output value of z in the first statement is dependent on only two variables, while in the second statement, it is dependent on all three variables.

4. Can you provide an example of a function f(x,y,z) that becomes z = g(x,y)?

One example of such a function is f(x,y,z) = x^2 + y^2 + z^2. When we set z = g(x,y), the function becomes g(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = z^2. This means that the output value of z is simply the square of the sum of the two independent variables x and y.

5. How is this type of function used in scientific research?

Functions with multiple independent variables, such as f(x,y,z), are commonly used in scientific research to model complex relationships between various factors. These types of functions can be used to analyze and predict outcomes in fields such as physics, economics, and biology. They can also be used to optimize processes and make informed decisions based on multiple variables.