Functional groups in this compound

In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of functional groups in a compound, specifically whether or not phenol is considered a functional group. The conclusion is that any -OH group attached to the benzene ring is considered "phenolic" and has specific properties, and the correct answer for the functional groups in the given compound is carboxylic acid, ketone, alcohol, and ether.
TT0

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 12.14.04 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I counted 4 functional groups. I got:
-Carboxylic acid
-Ketone
-Alcohol
-Ether
However, this combination is not available. I was wondering if phenol is a functional group as C seems the most likely option. I thought phenyl is a functional group and phenol isn't.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is phenol?

Likes TT0
Phenol is a benzene with a alcohol functional group attached to it, right? The compound above has the structure of phenol plus more. I am not too sure if you would still call it a phenol as it has more than what I know as phenol. I think phenol is a compound and not a functional group but they included it as an option so I am a bit confused.

Thanks!

Any -OH group attached to the benzene ring is considered "phenolic" (and has rather specific properties, different from an alcohol).

Likes TT0
I see, so would you say C is the answer despite not having ether as one of the functional groups listed?

It is not about "which list is complete" but "which list contains only correct answers".

Likes TT0
I see, thanks!

1. What are functional groups?

Functional groups are specific groups of atoms that are responsible for the characteristic chemical reactions and properties of a compound. They determine the physical and chemical properties of a molecule.

2. How are functional groups identified?

Functional groups are identified by the presence of specific atoms, such as oxygen, nitrogen, or sulfur, and their arrangement in a molecule. They can also be identified by their characteristic chemical reactions.

3. What are some common functional groups?

Some common functional groups include hydroxyl (-OH), carbonyl (>C=O), carboxyl (-COOH), amino (-NH2), and phosphate (-PO4). These groups are often found in organic compounds and play important roles in biological processes.

4. How do functional groups affect the properties of a compound?

The type and arrangement of functional groups in a compound affect its physical and chemical properties. For example, the presence of hydroxyl groups can make a molecule more polar, while the presence of carboxyl groups can make a molecule more acidic.

5. Why are functional groups important in chemistry?

Functional groups are important in chemistry because they help to classify and predict the properties of compounds. They also play crucial roles in biochemical processes and are essential for the functioning of living organisms.