Fundamental and contravariant representations

In summary: It's obvious you don't have enough knowledge to understand the answers given to you. End of discussion.
gentsagree
The invariant of SL(2,C) is proven to be invariant under the action of the group by the following

[itex]\epsilon'_{\alpha\beta} = N_{\alpha}^{\rho}N_{\beta}^{\sigma}\epsilon_{\rho\sigma}=\epsilon_{\alpha\beta}detN=\epsilon_{\alpha\beta}[/itex]

The existence of an invariant of this form (with two indices down) tells us that the covariant (here fundamental of SL(2,C)) and contra variant reps aren't independent. This seems to me to follow directly from the fact that detN=1. Is this true? And can anyone bring forward an example where covariant and contra variant reps are truly independent?

Physics news on Phys.org
gentsagree said:
The invariant of SL(2,C) is proven to be invariant under the action of the group by the following

[itex]\epsilon'_{\alpha\beta} = N_{\alpha}^{\rho}N_{\beta}^{\sigma}\epsilon_{\rho\sigma}=\epsilon_{\alpha\beta}detN=\epsilon_{\alpha\beta}[/itex]

The existence of an invariant of this form (with two indices down) tells us that the covariant (here fundamental of SL(2,C)) and contra variant reps aren't independent. This seems to me to follow directly from the fact that detN=1. Is this true?
Yes, covariant and contravariant spinor representations are EQUIVALENT, i.e. they belong to the same representation space of SL(2,C).
And can anyone bring forward an example where covariant and contra variant reps are truly independent?
In SL(2,C), lowering or raising the indices by the spinor metric [itex]\epsilon_{ \alpha \beta }[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon^{ \alpha \beta }[/itex] does not produce new representation. However, complex conjugation does lead to new inequivalent representation [itex]\psi^{ \dot{ \alpha } } = \epsilon^{ \dot{ \alpha } \dot{ \beta } } \psi_{ \dot{ \beta } }[/itex].

Why do you reply to posts if you don't read the questions properly first?

1. I know they are EQUIVALENT. I am asking whether this is a direct consequence of the fact that detN=1, i.e. if I could generalise this, for instance, by saying that "every algebra with detN=1 possesses a 2nd rank invariant tensor", or perhaps not, I am missing something.

2. Again, here I ask whether anybody can bring forward an example where covariant and contravariant representations are truly independent of each other, not whether the conjugate representation is.

gentsagree said:
Why do you reply to posts if you don't read the questions properly first?

1. I know they are EQUIVALENT. I am asking whether this is a direct consequence of the fact that detN=1, i.e. if I could generalise this, for instance, by saying that "every algebra with detN=1 possesses a 2nd rank invariant tensor", or perhaps not, I am missing something.

2. Again, here I ask whether anybody can bring forward an example where covariant and contravariant representations are truly independent of each other, not whether the conjugate representation is.
Instead of asking MEANINGLESS questions and being RUDE to the person who is trying to help you, you should spend your time learning the ABC of group theory.

Likes ChrisVer

1. What are fundamental and contravariant representations?

Fundamental and contravariant representations are two types of mathematical representations used to describe how a system or object behaves under certain transformations. They are commonly used in the field of physics to describe the behavior of particles and systems in space and time.

2. What is the difference between fundamental and contravariant representations?

The main difference between fundamental and contravariant representations lies in how they transform under different coordinate systems. Fundamental representations transform in the same way as the coordinates themselves, while contravariant representations transform in the opposite way. This means that fundamental representations are affected by the orientation of the coordinate system, while contravariant representations are not.

3. How are fundamental and contravariant representations related to tensors?

Fundamental and contravariant representations are two ways of representing tensors, which are mathematical objects used to describe the properties of a system. Tensors can be represented in either form, and the choice of representation depends on the specific problem being solved.

4. How are fundamental and contravariant representations used in physics?

In physics, fundamental and contravariant representations are used to describe the behavior of particles and systems in different coordinate systems. They are particularly useful in relativity and quantum mechanics, where the laws of physics are often expressed in tensor form.

5. What are some examples of fundamental and contravariant representations?

An example of a fundamental representation is a vector, which transforms in the same way as the coordinates it represents. An example of a contravariant representation is a dual vector, which transforms in the opposite way. Other examples include tensors, spinors, and differential forms.