Fundamental Cosmology conference (Stockholm, November 2012)

In summary: Claus Kiefer. This topic addresses the persistent issue of the initial singularity and the role of boundary conditions in different theories.Overall, the Perspectives of Fundamental Cosmology conference at the NORDITA institute in Stockholm promises to be a valuable and enriching experience for all attendees. It showcases the diversity and complexity of research in this field and provides a platform for collaboration and exchange of ideas. In summary, this conference brings together experts from different fields to discuss models of the beginning of expansion in the universe and addresses the issue of the initial singularity in the classical theory. The program includes a variety of topics and ample time for discussion, making it a valuable opportunity for researchers to deepen their understanding and potentially collaborate on future projects.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
There's an interesting conference taking place this month at the NORDITA institute for theoretical physics in Stockholm. It brings together, from a number of different areas, researchers working on various models of what was happening around the start of expansion--replacing the "singularity" (the classical theory's failure) with some more physical model.

The conference is called *Perspectives of Fundamental Cosmology*
The topics of the hour talks include cosmology from the perspective of
Causal Dynamical Triangulations
Horava Gravity
Noncommutative (i.e. Spectral) Geometry
Loop and Spinfoam
Geometrodynamics
String

I count 51 things on the schedule, mostly 1-hour talks, but including a half-dozen discussion sessions on various topics. Part of why I find the conference interesting is that it brings together prominent experts from different fields with the aim of getting them talking with each other (Loll, Ambjorn, Lizzi, Brandenberger, Mersini, Kiefer, Sakellariadou, Nelson, Burgess, Sotiriou, Mavromatos, Thiemann, Schücker, Steinhacker, Hossenfelder...) The more I consider the lineup the more I am impressed by how incredibly diverse it is.
All these people are giving talks. Lewandowski is not on the list but his junior co-author Andrea Dapor is presenting their research.

Here is a highly incomplete sampling of abstracts of hour talks:

Claus Kiefer
Quantum Gravity and Quantum Cosmology: A General Introduction
I start by giving a general introduction to the motivation for and the problems of a theory of quantum gravity. I then briefly describe the main approaches - quantum general relativity (including loop quantum gravity) and string theory - and some of their applications. I then give a general introduction to quantum cosmology, in which I mainly deal with geometrodynamics, but make also remarks on loop quantum cosmology.

Will Nelson
Extending inflation to the quantum gravity era
Inflation is extremely successful at explaining the features of our late-time universe, however it is well known that it is incomplete. In particular the initial singularity persists and there is a period where quantum gravity effects must become important. In this talk I will discuss these quantum-gravity issues and describe how they can be tackled within Loop Quantum Cosmology. I will describe how we can make contact between LQC and QFT in curved space-times, what the 'true' trans-Planckian issue is within this context and what this approach predicts for observations.

Andrea Dapor
Isotropy-breaking in Quantum Cosmology
We present a new perspective on QFT on quantum cosmological space-times. Naively, the semiclassical limit of a quantum space-time can be taken by averaging the gravitational operators on a semiclassical state of geometry. The result is an effective classical metric (which in general does not obey Einstein equation). We show that, once quantum matter is taken into account, a new possibility arises: the dynamics of matter on quantum space-time can be equivalently described by standard QFT on a classical space-time, whose geometry is encoded in a so-called "dressed metric", a classical metric which is different than the naive semiclassical one. Such matter-dependent dressed metric can be thought of as the metric "seen" by the matter field.

We explore this interpretation and its consequences in various instances, such as scalar field on quantum cosmological space-times, addressing the question of observable effects on the propagation of matter. Indeed, since the dressed metric depends on the matter, Lorentz-violating phenomena are expected (such as deformation of dispersion relations). We prove that for massless field on FRW [1] or Bianchi I [2] quantum geometries, no violation takes place at test-field level. We present a way to take into account the matter back-reaction (in which case a deformation in the dispersion relation is present). Finally, we address the case of a massive field on FRW quantum geometry [3], and show that an isotropy-breaking is present already at the test-field level, since the dressed metric depends on the direction of propagation of the mode of the field.

References:
[1] A. Ashtekar, W. Kaminski, J. Lewandowski - "Quantum field theory on a cosmological, quantum space-time", Phys. Rev. D 79, 064030 (2009)
[2] A. Dapor, J. Lewandowski, Y. Tavakoli - "Lorentz Symmetry in QFT on Quantum Bianchi I Space-Time", Phys. Rev. D 86, 064013 (2012)
[3] A. Dapor, J. Lewandowski - "Isotropy-Breaking in Quantum Cosmology", in preparation [ http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.0161 ]

Francesca Vidotto
Spinfoam and Cosmology
In the recent years the major developments in Loop Quantum Gravity have arisen in the covariant framework (spinfoam) where the dynamics is coded by transition amplitudes. These provide an evolution for "quanta of spacetime" in terms of a local product of interaction vertices, reconstructing a Lorentzian spacetime. The first part of the talk will be devoted to a general presentation of these results. The second part of the talk will show how these results find a good testing framework in cosmology and how, viceversa, spinfoam could provide a fertile framework for the description of the early-universe physics.

A sample discussion section led by Claus Kiefer:
Boundary Conditions in Quantum Cosmology
My idea here is to give a short introduction myself (at most half an hour), followed by short presentations of participants and a general discussion. As for the topics of the short presentations, I suggest: "The no-boundary condition", "The tunnelling condition", "Boundary conditions in loop quantum cosmology", as well as other suggestions by participants.

The conference is leisurely paced--spread out over the better part of 4 weeks.
http://agenda.albanova.se/conferenceTimeTable.py?confId=2998
http://agenda.albanova.se/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=2998
Credit for organizing and arranging the program goes to Bojowald, Giesel, Hossenfelder, and Sakellariadou.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org

I find this conference to be extremely interesting and valuable. It brings together experts from different fields to discuss and exchange ideas on a topic that is still not fully understood - the beginning of the expansion of the universe.

The variety of topics and approaches being presented, from causal dynamical triangulations to string theory, highlights the complexity and diversity of this field. It also shows the dedication of researchers to find a more physical model to replace the singularity in the classical theory.

The inclusion of discussion sessions and ample time for presentations allows for a deeper understanding and potential collaboration between researchers. This conference also provides a platform for junior researchers, like Andrea Dapor, to present their work alongside prominent experts.

I am particularly intrigued by the topic of boundary conditions in quantum cosmology and the discussion section led by Claus Kiefer. This is a crucial aspect in understanding the early universe and it is exciting to see how different approaches address this issue.

Overall, I believe this conference will contribute greatly to the advancement of our understanding of fundamental cosmology and I commend the organizers for putting together such a diverse and comprehensive program. I look forward to seeing the outcomes of this conference and the potential breakthroughs that may arise from the discussions and collaborations.

1. What is the purpose of the Fundamental Cosmology conference in Stockholm?

The purpose of the Fundamental Cosmology conference is to bring together scientists and researchers from around the world to discuss the latest advancements and discoveries in the field of cosmology. This includes topics such as the origins and evolution of the universe, the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and the search for new theories and models to explain the fundamental laws of the cosmos.

2. Who are the keynote speakers at the conference?

The keynote speakers at the Fundamental Cosmology conference vary from year to year, but they are typically renowned scientists and experts in the field of cosmology. In the past, speakers have included Nobel laureates, renowned physicists, and leading researchers from top universities and institutions around the world.

3. How can I attend or participate in the conference?

To attend or participate in the Fundamental Cosmology conference, you must register and pay a registration fee. The conference is open to all scientists, researchers, and students in the field of cosmology. If you are interested in presenting your research at the conference, you can submit an abstract for consideration during the abstract submission period.

4. What are some of the topics that will be covered at the conference?

The topics covered at the Fundamental Cosmology conference vary each year, but they generally include a wide range of cosmological studies and theories. Some of the common topics include the cosmic microwave background, gravitational waves, inflation, and the formation and structure of galaxies. The conference also often includes discussions on the latest technological advancements in cosmology research.

5. Will there be opportunities for networking and collaboration at the conference?

Yes, the Fundamental Cosmology conference provides many opportunities for networking and collaboration. There are typically poster sessions, workshops, and panel discussions where attendees can interact and exchange ideas and information. Additionally, many attendees use the conference as a platform to meet and discuss potential collaborations and research partnerships.