Fundamental group of the circle S^1

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of proving that the fundamental group of the circle S^1 is isomorphic to the group of integers under addition. The proposed solution is to show that the map Phi, defined by Phi([f])= f*(1), where f* is the lifting path of f and f*(1) is the degree of f, is an isomorphism. The difficulty lies in proving that Phi is 1-1 and well defined. To do so, it is necessary to show that if Phi([f])=Phi([g]) then f=g and if [f]=[g] then Phi([f])=Phi([g]). Any assistance in this matter would be appreciated.
math8
The question is to prove that the fundamental group of the circle S^1 is isomorphic to the group of integers under addition.

So I think I should show that the following map Phi is an isomorphism.

Phi: F(S^1, (1,0)) --> Z defined by Phi([f])= f*(1) where f* is the lifting path of f ( pof*=f) and f*(1) is the degree of f and p is the map
p:Reals--> S^1 defined by p(t)=(cos 2 pi t, sin 2 pi t).

I am able to show that Phi is onto, but I am having trouble showing that it is 1-1 and that it is well defined.

Physics news on Phys.org
To prove that it is 1-1 I need to show that if Phi([f])=Phi([g]) then f=g, but I am not sure how to do this. To prove that it is well defined I need to show that if [f]=[g] then Phi([f])=Phi([g]), but I am also not sure how to do this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Related to Fundamental group of the circle S^1

What is the fundamental group of the circle S^1?

The fundamental group of the circle S^1 is a mathematical concept that represents the set of all possible loops on a circle. In other words, it is a way to describe the topological shape of the circle.

Why is the fundamental group of the circle S^1 important?

The fundamental group of the circle S^1 has many applications in geometry, topology, and other branches of mathematics. It helps to classify and distinguish between different topological spaces, and plays a crucial role in the study of more complex topological objects.

How is the fundamental group of the circle S^1 calculated?

The fundamental group of the circle S^1 can be calculated using algebraic and geometric methods, such as the Van Kampen theorem and the Seifert–Van Kampen theorem. These methods involve breaking down the circle into simpler pieces and analyzing the possible loops on each piece.

What is the relationship between the fundamental group of the circle S^1 and other topological spaces?

The fundamental group of the circle S^1 is closely related to the fundamental group of other topological spaces. For example, the fundamental group of any space that can be continuously deformed into a circle will be isomorphic to the fundamental group of the circle S^1. This makes it a useful tool for comparing and classifying different topological spaces.

Can the fundamental group of the circle S^1 be visualized?

Yes, the fundamental group of the circle S^1 can be visualized using a technique called a fundamental polygon, which represents all possible loops on the circle. This helps to understand the group's structure and how it changes when the circle is deformed or rotated.