Fundamental Theorem of Field extensions

In summary, the fundamental theorem of field theory says that the field E contains a zero of f(x) if and only if there is an F algebra homomorphism from F[x]-->E, taking X to c.
Bipolarity
Suppose F is a field and that ## f(x) ## is a non-constant polynomial in ##F[x]##. Since ##F[x] ## is a unique factorization domain, ## f(x) ## has an irreducible factor, ## p(x) ##. Then the fundamental theorem of field theory says that the field ## E = F[x]/<p(x)> ## contains a zero of ## f(x) ##. I am confused by the last statement.

## f(x) ## is an element of ## F[x] ##, not ## E ##, so what does it mean to say that E contains a zero of ## f(x) ##? For an element ## \alpha ## to be a zero of ## f(x) ##, it must be the case that ## \alpha \in F ## and ## f(\alpha) = 0 ## where ## 0 ## is the identity of F.

I'm a bit confused here. Perhaps someone could lend me a hand? Thanks!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Project f(x) into E.

Example: F is the real numbers, f(x) is $$X^2 + 1$$. f is irreducible and E = F[x]/<f(x)> is the field generated by the projections of 1 and x into E.

$$x^2 + 1 = 0 $$ in E so x is a zero of f(x) in E

More generally x is a zero of f(x) in F[x]/<f(x)>

If p(x) is an irreducible factor of f(x), then x is a zero of p(x) in E = F[x}/<p(x)> and thus is a zero of f(x) in E as well.

Last edited:
to say that a field E containing F, also contains a zero c of f, which lies in F[X], means there is an F algebra homomorphism from F[X]-->E, taking X to c, and f to zero. Since the homomorphism takes X to c, and is an F algebra homomorphism, it also takes f(X) to f(c), and this means f(c) = 0. In this case, the homomorphism takes X to its equivalence class mod p, and hence takes f(X) to its equivalence class mod p. Since the equivalence class of p is zero mod p, and p divides f, and the map is muliplicative, so also the equivalence class of f is zero mod p.

the whole confusion is the fact that isomorphisms are being used without mention. I.e. the zero of f is in E, so we want to first insert F into E, by replacing the isomorphic copy of F in E with F itself. Then we can view f as belonging to E[X], and can more intuitively evaluate f on an element of E. I.e. if c belongs to E, it is more obvious there is an evaluation map from E[X] to E taking X to c. I hopoe I got this right. This also confused me as a student, but van der Waerden made it very clear. also Lavinia is more succinct than I.

Likes jim mcnamara

What is the Fundamental Theorem of Field Extensions?

The Fundamental Theorem of Field Extensions states that if F is a field and K is an extension field of F, then any isomorphism between K and a subfield of K that fixes F must fix every element of K. In simpler terms, any automorphism of K that leaves F unchanged must also leave all elements of K unchanged.

Why is the Fundamental Theorem of Field Extensions important?

The theorem is important because it provides a way to analyze and understand the structure of field extensions. It allows us to determine what elements and subfields are fixed by an automorphism, which has implications for many areas of mathematics, including algebraic geometry and number theory.

What are some examples of the Fundamental Theorem of Field Extensions in action?

One example is the proof of the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that every non-constant polynomial with complex coefficients has at least one complex root. This theorem can be proven using the Fundamental Theorem of Field Extensions. Another example is the proof of the splitting field theorem, which states that every polynomial over a field can be factored into linear factors over an extension of that field.

What are some common misconceptions about the Fundamental Theorem of Field Extensions?

One common misconception is that the theorem only applies to finite field extensions. However, it applies to all field extensions, including infinite ones. Another misconception is that the theorem only applies to algebraic extensions, but it can also be applied to transcendental extensions.

How does the Fundamental Theorem of Field Extensions relate to Galois theory?

The Fundamental Theorem of Field Extensions is a key result in Galois theory, which studies the symmetries of field extensions. It is used to classify the possible subgroups of the Galois group, which is a group of automorphisms of the extension field that leave the base field unchanged. The theorem also has implications for the solvability of polynomial equations, which is a central concept in Galois theory.