How Does a Hot Molecule Move in a Convection Current?

They mention concepts such as velocity boundary layers, viscosity, and no slip condition. Chetan is trying to understand the movement of a particular hot molecule at the surface-fluid interface and is questioning whether it moves to the right or in a parabolic motion. They also mention their confusion about boundary layers and the role of convection currents in this scenario. Chetan acknowledges the random movement of molecules and the concept of motion relative to the average. They also recognize the impact of collisions on energy transfer and changes in velocity between molecules.
ehabmozart
Dear all,

I have a hard time in understanding the fundamentals of convection. Let's say we blow a fan over a hot surface. From fluid mechanics, I know that there is a velocity boundary layer due to the viscosity and no slip condition. The velocity gradient is kinda parabolic. Ok, let's now follow ONE particular hot molecule. This hot molecule is conducted at the surface-fluid interface. Then my question here is does it move to the right or does it move in a parabolic motion. I guess the problem stems in my understanding of boundary layer. I mean what happens next. Moreover, is it suppose there is a convection current always. If yes, how is it possible in this case. Thanks a lot to whoever contributes.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are aware that the molecules are flying in all different directions, and, that when you talk about convection, you are talking about motion relative to the average? You are also aware that, when molecules experience collisions, there is energy transfer and changes in velocity between them, correct?

Chet

1. What is convection?

Convection is a type of heat transfer that occurs when a fluid, such as air or water, moves from one place to another, carrying heat energy with it.

2. How does convection work?

Convection works through the process of heat transfer. When a fluid is heated, it becomes less dense and rises, carrying heat energy with it. As it rises, it cools and becomes more dense, eventually sinking back down and creating a convection current.

3. What are the three types of convection?

The three types of convection are natural convection, forced convection, and mixed convection. Natural convection occurs without any external influence, forced convection involves an external force, such as a fan or pump, and mixed convection is a combination of both natural and forced convection.

4. How is convection important in everyday life?

Convection plays a significant role in many everyday processes, such as cooking, weather patterns, and circulation in the atmosphere and oceans. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as cooling systems and HVAC systems.

5. How is convection different from conduction and radiation?

Convection, conduction, and radiation are all different types of heat transfer. While convection involves the movement of fluids, conduction occurs through direct contact between two objects, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. Convection is the most efficient form of heat transfer, as it can occur over longer distances and in different directions.