Fundamentals of Physics 10th edition by David Halliday

In summary, there are many different books out there that can cover your needs of a physics textbook. Matter and Interactions is a good one to check out.
Geo_Zegarra2018
I honestly don't like this text at all. Is there any other calc based physics textbook out there?
I just got textbook from the library which is titled:
Physics for scientists and engineers 1st edition

Please if there's any book out there post it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Matter and Interactions is good. It covers mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, and does away with the later chapters the HRW has on nuclear physics and whatnot. More suitable for first year introductory courses than HRW is, in my opinions. Worth checking out.

Does this cover mechanism? Like the first physics sequence of physics?

Yes, it covers everything a first year student will need to know.

It's not clear specifically why you don't like Halliday, Fundamentals of Physics.

If your main focus is mechanics for now, then you might take a look at French's book, Newtonian Mechanics (MIT Introductory Physics Series). You can browse through it here https://archive.org/details/NewtonianMechanics.

Used copies are inexpensive: http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?keyword=Newtonian+Mechanics+French&mtype=B&hs.x=0&hs.y=0&hs=Submit

TSny,

I'm that kind of student that if a book doesn't have my needs I look at other book resources. For example, my organic chemistry book was john McMurry 9th edition. The book itself was not enough for me because I like to make notes and chapter outlines. When I did the chapter outlines I fell sleepy and didn't learn anything. After that I proceeded to buy two other organic chemistry books, wade and Klein. I fell in love with these two books. So many exercise problems from each section, which McMurry lacks of from. Thats why I don't like the physics book.

There's a ton of calculus based textbooks out there. But if you do not detail why Resnick does not fit your bill, it will be hard to suggest a viable alternative.
I can tell you what I think are better text, but de gustibus...

So, French is a very good advice (all of his books are, bless him). It is in my opinion the best intro to physics one could desire. But for some it is too much verbose.

As far as all-in-one volumes go, I really liked Ohanian's Physics. I believe the second edition to be better than the more recent ones. You can find it used on amazon for a few cents. Three dollars shipped at home.

I also love Alonso and Finn's Fundamental University Physics - the three volume versions, sadly out of print and not easy to find at reasonable prices.
You can find, though, the single tome version "Physics" but it is a dumbed down version, especially in what where the contents of volume 2 (fields and waves) and volume 3 (quantum and statistical mechanics, essentially no longer included).

So, there you have it.
I hope you'll find one that fits your gustibus.

1. What is the main focus of "Fundamentals of Physics 10th edition"?

The main focus of "Fundamentals of Physics 10th edition" is to provide a comprehensive and thorough understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts of physics. It covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and optics.

2. Who is the author of "Fundamentals of Physics 10th edition"?

The author of "Fundamentals of Physics 10th edition" is David Halliday, a renowned physicist and educator. He is also known for his contributions to the field of physics education and for co-authoring several other textbooks.

3. Is "Fundamentals of Physics 10th edition" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Fundamentals of Physics 10th edition" is suitable for beginners as it starts with basic concepts and gradually builds upon them. It also includes clear explanations and examples to help readers understand the material.

4. Are there any online resources available for "Fundamentals of Physics 10th edition"?

Yes, there are online resources available for "Fundamentals of Physics 10th edition" such as practice problems, interactive simulations, and video lectures. These resources can be accessed through the publisher's website or through various online learning platforms.

5. Is "Fundamentals of Physics 10th edition" used in universities?

Yes, "Fundamentals of Physics 10th edition" is a widely used textbook in universities and colleges around the world. It is commonly used in introductory physics courses for students majoring in science and engineering.