Fundamentals of physics by David Halliday

In summary, the conversation is about a person wanting to prepare for a national physics olympiad and asking for advice on whether to rent a 5th edition of Fundamentals of Physics or purchase the newer 10th edition. The other person suggests using the one in the library for basics and then switching to a book specifically for olympiad preparation. They also mention that Halliday is a good resource for basics.
Philip Robotic
Hey everyone!

I have a course-book related question. I hope this is the correct thread. If not, please let me know.

I want to prepare myself for our national physics olimpiad and I heard about a very useful book named Fundamentals of physics by David Halliday. We have the extended 5th edition at library, but there's a new one (10th ed) available for purchase online.

So my question is, as now there's the 10th edition available should I just rent the one from our library, or should I buy a new, updated (but not extended) version myself? I mean, has much changed since the 5th ed? And has anyone actually read it? Is it any good?

Philip

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what changes have been brought about in the newest editions, but if you don't want to buy, you can safely go with the one in your library.

However, the book is primarily meant to serve as a book for introductory courses. It does not have the type of questions that comes in Olympiads. You can read the topics from Halliday the first time for a thorough understanding, but ultimately you'll have to practice from books meant only for Olympiads.

Alright, thanks for the tip. That's the book I was looking for, just to get a good picture of the basics of physics. After that I will proceed to more advanced olimpiad-oriented stuff.

Philip Robotic said:
Alright, thanks for the tip. That's the book I was looking for, just to get a good picture of the basics of physics. After that I will proceed to more advanced olimpiad-oriented stuff.
For basics, Halliday is very good. You can safely proceed with that.

Likes Philip Robotic

1. What are the main topics covered in "Fundamentals of physics by David Halliday"?

The book covers a wide range of topics including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics.

2. Is "Fundamentals of physics by David Halliday" suitable for beginners?

Yes, the book is designed for students with little or no prior knowledge of physics. It starts with basic concepts and gradually builds upon them.

3. How does "Fundamentals of physics by David Halliday" differ from other physics textbooks?

The book is known for its clear and concise explanations, numerous real-world examples, and a strong focus on problem-solving techniques. It also includes interactive learning tools such as online resources and simulations.

4. Can I use "Fundamentals of physics by David Halliday" for self-study?

Yes, the book is suitable for self-study as it is well-structured and provides practice problems with solutions. However, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics before using this book.

5. Are there any supplemental materials available for "Fundamentals of physics by David Halliday"?

Yes, there are various supplemental materials such as solution manuals, study guides, and online resources available for the book. These can be helpful for further practice and understanding of the concepts.