Further Applications of Newton's Law : Friction, Drag, and Elasticity

In summary, the solution to this problem involves finding the acceleration of a car moving up a slope with a given angle, using the equations Fnet = Wpararell + fs and m.a = 1/2.m.g.sinθ + μs.1/2.m.g.cosθ (divide by m). The frictional force is calculated using F=f-Wx, with the maximum value of 1/2 μs.mg Cosθ. The normal force on the drive wheels is 1/2 mg Cosθ, leading to the total frictional force acting on the car of 1/2 μs.mg Cosθ. The weight of the car is mg Sin θ acting down the slope.
EnricoHendro
Homework Statement
Calculate the maximum acceleration of a car that is heading up a 4o slope (one that makes an angle of 4o with the horizontal) under the following road conditions. Assume that only half the weight of the car is supported by the two drive wheels and that the coefficient of static friction is involved—that is, the tires are not allowed to slip during the acceleration. (Ignore rolling.) (a) On dry concrete. (b) On wet concrete. (c) On ice, assuming that μ s = 0.100 , the same
as for shoes on ice
Relevant Equations
a=(g.sinθ+μs.g.cosθ)/2
θ = 4
μs = 1
Fnet = Wpararell + fs
m.a = 1/2.m.g.sinθ + μs.1/2.m.g.cosθ (divide by m)
a = (g.sinθ+μs.g.cosθ)/2
a = ((9.8)sin4 + (1)(9.8)cos4)/2
a = 5.23 m/s^2

hello guys, I'm having trouble with this problem. Can anybody help me correct my attempt and explain it to me?? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Please elaborate your question and use Latex. Apart from the fact that you have taken friction due to 1 tire,I don't see any other error

Hello there,
I found this solution from Database-Physics-Solutions. In this solution, it uses F=f-Wx, instead of F=f+Wx.
now my question is why do they use F=f-Wx instead of F=f+Wx?? I mean, the friction should act against the movement of the car right?? (the car is going upward and the Wx is in same direction as friction. Shouldn't it be f+Wx instead??) My second question is why is the f = 1/2 μs.mg Cosθ while the Wx = mg Sin θ ?? I mean since only half of the weight of the car is being supported by the 2 drive wheels??
Sorry for my bad english.
And by the way, what is Latex?? I don't know what latex is, sorry :)
Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 11.15.35 PM.png

EnricoHendro said:
the friction should act against the movement of the car right?
No. see section 2 of https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-friction/
EnricoHendro said:
why is the f = 1/2 μs.mg Cosθ while the Wx = mg Sin θ ?? I mean since only half of the weight of the car is being supported by the 2 drive wheels?
Only half the weight is on the drive wheels, so the combined normal force on those is 1/2 mg Cosθ. Friction stops those spinning and leads to the frictional force up the slope. This has a max of 1/2 μs.mg Cosθ (it could be less in general). There is no frictional force on the other wheels, so the total frictional force acting on the car up the slope is 1/2 μs.mg Cosθ.
The mg Sin θ acts down the slope on the car as a whole.

Likes Abhishek11235

What is friction and how does it relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is related to Newton's Laws of Motion because it is an external force that can affect the acceleration of an object, according to Newton's Second Law.

Why is drag important in understanding motion?

Drag is important in understanding motion because it is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion through a fluid, such as air or water. It can significantly impact the speed and trajectory of an object, especially at high speeds.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it, while kinetic friction is the force that acts against the motion of an object that is already in motion. Static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction.

How does elasticity play a role in Newton's Laws of Motion?

Elasticity is the ability of an object to return to its original shape after being deformed. It is relevant to Newton's Laws of Motion because it affects the acceleration and momentum of an object when it experiences a force. Objects with high elasticity will experience less deformation and maintain their momentum, while objects with low elasticity will experience more deformation and lose momentum.

What real-world applications can be explained by Newton's Laws of Motion and friction, drag, and elasticity?

There are countless real-world applications that can be explained by these concepts, such as the motion of vehicles, the flight of airplanes, the behavior of sports equipment, and the design of structures and machines. Understanding these principles helps engineers and designers create more efficient and effective products and systems.