Fusion Activation: Analysis & Calculation | Why Needed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the activation analysis of fusion and why it is needed in a fusion reactor. It is mentioned that activation is necessary for a fusion reaction, similar to how activation is required to start a fire. The conversation also touches on the concept of high level waste and the potential for long-lived and highly radioactive isotopes to be produced in a fusion reaction. It is noted that advanced low activation materials, such as Eurofer, have been developed to minimize activation in DT fusion devices. The use of codes like MCNP and FISPACT for simulating activation and comparing with experimental results is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a discussion on animations available from CCFE showing the activation and decay of Eurofer.
Amjad78
Hello Everybody i hope you all will be fine, can some one tell me about the activation analysis of fusion? why Activation is needed in Fusion reactor? what methodology can be used for this calculation?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Activation is needed for a fusion reaction for the same reason you need activation to light a fire ... but the specific meaning can depend on the context. For instance, in the headline "Germany activates first fusion reactor" it just means they switched it on.

Simon Bridge said:
Activation is needed for a fusion reaction for the same reason you need activation to light a fire ... but the specific meaning can depend on the context. For instance, in the headline "Germany activates first fusion reactor" it just means they switched it on.
It is assumed that there is no high level waste produced in fusion but on calculating some isotopes are very long lived and very highly radioactive. And also they says that in maintenance worker are allowed to access after 12 days of shutdown but is this acceptable i think the activity level will be very high.

Amjad78 said:
It is assumed that there is no high level waste produced in fusion but on calculating some isotopes are very long lived and very highly radioactive.

A substance is either very long lived or highly radioactive, not both. A highly radioactive substance decays at a much quicker rate than a less radioactive substance (and the more decays per second the more radioactive it is), so it has a shorter lifetime.

And also they says that in maintenance worker are allowed to access after 12 days of shutdown but is this acceptable i think the activity level will be very high.

Do you have a source for all of this? I'd be interested in reading it.

Oh I see: by "activation" you mean how radioactive something is?
That is usually called "strength" or "activity" or "radiation level"...
To find out how radioactive a reaction product is likely to be, you look it up in a book.
To find out how long to wait before maintenance folk can enter an area and what protection they need, you look it up in a book of industrial regulations.
What is your education level?

It would be nice to know where you are getting this from too.

Drakkith said:
A substance is either very long lived or highly radioactive, not both. A highly radioactive substance decays at a much quicker rate than a less radioactive substance (and the more decays per second the more radioactive it is), so it has a shorter lifetime.
Do you have a source for all of this? I'd be interested in reading it.
I am also working on this and i have some data what kind of data you need i will send you, no problem

Just a link to a website or paper will do if you have it.

Hi there

I have carried out a little activation analysis of fusion reactors. It is a fascinating subject

To minimize activation in DT fusion devices advanced lo activation materials have been developed.

Eurofer is an example of a modified steel that doesn't get activated as much as regular steel

One option for simulating activation would be to use codes like MCNP (to obtain neutron spectra) and FISPACT (to track particle transmutations).

The results can then be compared with experimental results in a benchmark

Two nice and clear animations are available from CCFE

This animation shows the activation of Eurofer
http://www.ccfe.ac.uk/assets/Documents/easy/Eurofer_chartandline_logo.mp4

This animation shows how it decays shortly afterwards
http://www.ccfe.ac.uk/assets/Documents/easy/Eurofer_chartandline_heat_logo.mp4

If the correct materials are used then fusion will not produce any long lived activation products.

Likes quarkle

1. What is fusion activation?

Fusion activation is a process that involves initiating and controlling a nuclear fusion reaction, where two atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus. This process releases a large amount of energy, which can be harnessed for various applications.

2. What does analysis and calculation involve in fusion activation?

Analysis and calculation in fusion activation involve using mathematical and computational methods to predict and understand the behavior of the fusion reaction. This includes studying factors such as temperature, pressure, and fuel composition to determine the most effective conditions for fusion to occur.

3. Why is fusion activation needed?

Fusion activation is needed because it has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy. Unlike traditional nuclear fission reactions, fusion reactions produce minimal radioactive waste and do not contribute to climate change. Additionally, fusion fuel, such as hydrogen, is abundant and can be extracted from sources such as seawater.

4. What are the challenges in achieving fusion activation?

One of the main challenges in achieving fusion activation is creating and maintaining the extreme conditions necessary for fusion to occur, such as high temperatures and pressures. Another challenge is containing the high-energy plasma produced by the fusion reaction, as it can damage or melt any known material.

5. What is the current state of fusion activation research?

Fusion activation research has made significant progress in recent years, with multiple experiments successfully producing fusion reactions and releasing net energy. However, there are still many technological and scientific challenges that need to be overcome before fusion can be harnessed as a viable energy source. Ongoing research is focused on developing new materials and technologies to improve the efficiency and stability of fusion reactions.