Fusion and Alpha Particle Emission: Neutron vs Proton

In summary: Alpha particles are created for a short time after the D-D fusion occurs. They are in an excited state however, so they quickly decay by proton or neutron emission. Or gamma photon emission apparently on occasion.
Aidan Davis
When two deuterons fuse, I understand they form an alpha particle in an excited state. Based on mass differences the fusion releases 23.85MeV, which is enough to eject a proton (19.81MeV) or a neutron (20.58MeV) from the alpha particle. It seems to prefer neutron emission, as this fusion is used to make neutron beams. What mechanism is at work to make the alpha particle emit a neutron and not a proton? Does it always emit a neutron in this case, or is it a probabilistic mix of neutron and proton emission?

Physics news on Phys.org
Both processes have about 50% probability.
It is used to make neutron beams because deuterium is easily available and 50% is enough to get a large number of neutrons. The protons and helium nuclei are filtered out with magnetic fields.

Hi
I am surprised by the energy values you give. For example when I make the calculation,, I find neutrons' energy of 2.45 Mev
PSR

Likes mheslep
PSRB191921 said:
Hi
I am surprised by the energy values you give. For example when I make the calculation,, I find neutrons' energy of 2.45 Mev
PSR
Those are the energies required to break away the particle from the He 4 nucleus, aka their binding energy. Not the energy they will have after they are released. In this case 2.45MeV per neutron is correct.

Ok, but I am not sure to understand. In a D-D reaction you can have n+He3 or p+H3. But no alpha particules ...
PSR

PSRB191921 said:
Ok, but I am not sure to understand. In a D-D reaction you can have n+He3 or p+H3. But no alpha particules ...
PSR
Very few.
You have a legal process:
1) d+d->α+γ
which releases lots of energy, almost all of it as the energy of γ (the rest is recoil of α). But, since it is an electromagnetic process, its cross-section is low compared to competing strong processes
2) d+d->t+p
3) d+d->3He+n
But since these strong processes do not create the strongly bound α, only much less strongly bound t or 3He, they release much less energy.
What is the order of magnitude for the branching ratio of 1)?

Likes PSRB191921
PSRB191921 said:
PSR
There are alpha particles for a short time after the D-D fusion occurs. They are in an excited state however, so they quickly decay by proton or neutron emission. Or gamma photon emission apparently on occasion.

What is fusion?

Fusion is a nuclear reaction in which two or more atomic nuclei collide to form a new, heavier nucleus.

What is alpha particle emission?

Alpha particle emission is a type of radioactive decay in which an atomic nucleus emits an alpha particle, consisting of two protons and two neutrons.

What is the difference between neutron and proton in fusion and alpha particle emission?

In fusion, both neutrons and protons are involved in the reaction, while in alpha particle emission, only protons are emitted from the nucleus.

Which type of particle has a higher energy in fusion and alpha particle emission?

In fusion, both neutrons and protons have high energy due to the high temperatures required for the reaction to occur. In alpha particle emission, the emitted protons have high energy due to the unstable nature of the nucleus.

What are the applications of fusion and alpha particle emission?

Fusion reactions are being studied as a potential source of clean and abundant energy. Alpha particle emission is used in medical treatments, such as targeted radiation therapy for cancer treatment.