G-force experienced by a jumper, using a DE

In summary: In this case, the critical point would be the maximum, correct?I think I see what you're getting at. So the initial acceleration is ##-10##, and the final (terminal) acceleration would be 0. In between, the acceleration would start to decrease, then momentarily stop at ##0##, then accelerate downwards. I suppose the time at which the maximum value of acceleration occurs is when the acceleration is momentarily stopped at ##0##, so the time at which the acceleration is largest is when ##v = 0##, which would be the time when the parachutist hits the ground. Therefore, the g-forces experienced by the jumper at that moment would be equivalent to the acceleration due to
JessicaHelena
Homework Statement
The eqation ##mv' = Kv^2 - mg## describes the velocity (negative velocity points downwards of a parachute jumper of mass m subject to gravity g, and wind resistance from the open parachute of ##Kv^2##, with K a constant. m= 100 kg, g=10 m/s^2, K=10 kg/m.

Suppose that at $t = 0$, $v(0) = -20 m/s$. Find the time at which the acceleration $v'$ is largest in absolute value. At that moment, what is the g-force experienced by the jumper?
Relevant Equations
##v' = \frac{1}{10}v^2 - g##.
We are given that ##v' = \frac{1}{10}v^2 - g##.

I tried using implicit differentiation so that ##v'' = \frac{1}{5}vv' = \frac{1}{5}v(\frac{1}{10}v^2-g)## and set this equal to 0. Hence we have 3 critical points, at ##v= 0##, and ##v = \pm \sqrt{10g}##.

Calculating ##v''(0)=-120##, we know the function is concave, but I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please fix your Latex. You can use ## as a delimiter.

PeroK said:
Please fix your Latex. You can use ## as a delimiter.
I didn't know this forum used another LaTeX formatting—it should be fixed now.

JessicaHelena said:
Homework Statement:: The equation ##mv' = Kv^2 - mg## describes the velocity (negative velocity points downwards of a parachute jumper of mass m subject to gravity g, and wind resistance from the open parachute of ##Kv^2##, with K a constant. m= 100 kg, g=10 m/s^2, K=10 kg/m.

Suppose that at $t = 0$, $v(0) = -20 m/s$. Find the time at which the acceleration $v'$ is largest in absolute value. At that moment, what is the g-force experienced by the jumper?
Homework Equations:: ##v' = \frac{1}{10}v^2 - g##.

We are given that ##v' = \frac{1}{10}v^2 - g##.

I tried using implicit differentiation so that ##v'' = \frac{1}{5}vv' = \frac{1}{5}v(\frac{1}{10}v^2-g)## and set this equal to 0. Hence we have 3 critical points, at ##v= 0##, and ##v = \pm \sqrt{10g}##.

Calculating ##v''(0)=-120##, we know the function is concave, but I'm not really sure where to go from here.

The motion never has ##v = 0##. Can you draw a graph of the acceleration?

PS What's the significance of ##v = -\sqrt{10g}##. Perhaps draw a graph of ##v## first.

JessicaHelena said:
I tried using implicit differentiation so that ##v'' = \frac{1}{5}vv' = \frac{1}{5}v(\frac{1}{10}v^2-g)## and set this equal to 0.
How would this help you find the time at which the acceleration is largest? I would find ##v(t)## first, then ##a(t)##, then the time.

kuruman said:
How would this help you find the time at which the acceleration is largest? I would find ##v(t)## first, then ##a(t)##, then the time.

Perhaps it's simpler than that.

Likes DEvens
PeroK said:
Perhaps it's simpler than that.
Sure it is. The title says " ... using DE." That can be interpreted as solving the DE or just looking at it and imagining what happens to the acceleration as ##v## increases from zero to "some" value.

The problem is I don't really know how to find the time at which the acceleration ##v'## is the largest in absolute value. Would it be one of the points where a = v' = 0? Then I did find (earlier), ##0## and ##\pm sqrt{10g}##, but which one of those points matter & how could I know that?

@PeroK is there a simpler way? What would it look like?

@kuruman I could find ##v(t)##, but isn't ##a(t) = v'##, which is already given?
Also, I did manage to get an expression for ##v##, but I'm not sure if it was supposed to look so complicated: ##v(t) = \sqrt{10g} tanh(c-t)## where ##c = tanh^{-1} (-20/\sqrt{10g})##.

JessicaHelena said:
The problem is I don't really know how to find the time at which the acceleration ##v'## is the largest in absolute value. Would it be one of the points where a = v' = 0? Then I did find (earlier), ##0## and ##\pm sqrt{10g}##, but which one of those points matter & how could I know that?

@PeroK is there a simpler way? What would it look like?

@kuruman I could find ##v(t)##, but isn't ##a(t) = v'##, which is already given?
Also, I did manage to get an expression for ##v##, but I'm not sure if it was supposed to look so complicated: ##v(t) = \sqrt{10g} tanh(c-t)## where ##c = tanh^{-1} (-20/\sqrt{10g})##.
Nice try. The correct expression for ##v(t)## does involve a hyperbolic tangent, but is not quite what you have. With the correct expression you could then take the time derivative to find the acceleration as a function of time and then find the time at which the maximum value occurs the usual way. Or you can plot it and see when the acceleration is maximum. That's the formal way.

The shortcut is to look at the DE $$m\frac{dv}{dt}=Kv^2-mg$$and, without solving the DE, ask yourself what the magnitude of the acceleration could possibly be initially at t = 0 and then a very long time later. Then ask yourself what it could possibly be relative to the two extremes at intermediate times. Hint: What do you think the acceleration is when the parachutist hits the ground?

@kuruman
When you say to "find the time at which the maximum value occurs the usual way", am I right in thinking that I need to differentiate the acceleration function, find the critical points, and find a point where the values to the left of the critical point (on a number line) are positive and the values to the right of the point are negative?

Regarding the shortcut, I think the acceleration as the parachute hits the ground would be (mg - drag), but if the person reached the terminal velocity, a=0. On the other hand, at t=0, a = g (downwards is positive per the problem) since the drag force is not felt yet. Then would that mean it's g/2?

JessicaHelena said:
@kuruman
When you say to "find the time at which the maximum value occurs the usual way", am I right in thinking that I need to differentiate the acceleration function, find the critical points, and find a point where the values to the left of the critical point (on a number line) are positive and the values to the right of the point are negative?

Regarding the shortcut, I think the acceleration as the parachute hits the ground would be (mg - drag), but if the person reached the terminal velocity, a=0. On the other hand, at t=0, a = g (downwards is positive per the problem) since the drag force is not felt yet. Then would that mean it's g/2?

I think you are struggling to analyse the motion in this case.

The jumper starts at ##v = -20 m/s##. The terminal velocity with the parachute open is ##v = -10m/s##. When the parachute is opened at ##t =0## the drag force is greater than gravity. There is, therefore, an immediate upward, positive acceleration.

The positive acceleration reduces the magnitude of the downward velocity. This reduces the drag force.

The downward motion, therefore, is simply a gradual descrease of the magnitude of the velocity until terminal velocity is reached.

Can you finish off the problem from there?

Note, also, that when you analysed the acceleration for the motion, you didn't notice that there were no turning points within the range of velocity values for this problem. The critical points of ##v = 0## and ##v = \sqrt{10g}## are outside the motion entirely. And the third case, ##v = -\sqrt{10g}##, represents the terminal velocity for the motion in this problem.

@PeroK
Frankly, I'm sorry, but I'm a bit frustrated myself because I don't seem to get it. Still, from what I understand, since velocity (magnitude-wise) only decreases until the terminal velocity is reached, the greatest acceleration happens at t = 0.

Hence we come back to the equation given: ##mv' = Kv^2 - mg##. Plugging in ##v(0)##, we have ##mv' = 3000## and hence ##v' = 30##.

At this point, I realized I'm not really sure what g-force means even after having tried to figure it out by watching videos etc. Would I get ##30/g = 3## as my g-force?

Or, I found that the g-force can be calculated using the formula N/mg, where N is the normal force.

I don't think we have a normal force here, but assuming ##Kv^2 = "N"## here, ##N = m(v' + g)##. Then g-force is given by the expression ##\frac{g+a}{g}##. To find ##a## at ##t=0##, we do ##v' = Kv^2/m - g = 30##. Then the g-force is ##\frac{30+10}{10} = 4##. Is this right?

Likes PeroK
Yes, as the parachutist is free-falling there is no g-force. When the parachute is opened the force experienced by the parachutist is entirely this upward drag force. And, at ##t=0## the g-force is ##4g##.

Note that the g-force, technically, is a force per unit mass, i.e. has the units of acceleration.

PeroK said:
Note, also, that when you analysed the acceleration for the motion, you didn't notice that there were no turning points within the range of velocity values for this problem. The critical points of v=0v=0v = 0 and v=√10gv=10gv = \sqrt{10g} are outside the motion entirely. And the third case, v=−√10gv=−10gv = -\sqrt{10g}, represents the terminal velocity for the motion in this problem.

@PeroK
Thank you for clarifying that up!
But I wanted to go back to what you said previously about the terminal velocity. How do I know that ##0## and ##\sqrt{10g}## do not matter here?

JessicaHelena said:
@PeroK
Thank you for clarifying that up!
But I wanted to go back to what you said previously about the terminal velocity. How do I know that ##0## and ##\sqrt{10g}## do not matter here?
##v = 0## ... when does the parachutist come to rest? Apart from when they hit the ground?

##v = \sqrt{10g}## ... when does the parachutist start moving upwards?

1. What is G-force and how is it measured?

G-force, or gravitational force, is a measure of the acceleration experienced by an object due to the Earth's gravity. It is measured in units of g, with 1 g being equivalent to the acceleration due to gravity at the Earth's surface (9.8 meters per second squared).

2. How does a DE (drag equation) factor into the calculation of G-force?

The drag equation is used to calculate the drag force experienced by an object moving through a fluid, such as air. This drag force, along with the mass and velocity of the object, can be used to calculate the G-force experienced by a jumper.

3. How does a jumper's body position affect the G-force experienced?

The body position of a jumper can greatly impact the G-force experienced during a jump. A more aerodynamic position, such as a dive or a tuck, can decrease the drag force and therefore decrease the G-force experienced. A more upright position, such as a spread eagle, can increase the drag force and increase the G-force experienced.

4. Is there a maximum G-force that a jumper can experience?

Yes, there is a maximum G-force that a jumper can experience, which is typically around 5 g. This can vary depending on the jumper's body position, mass, and velocity, as well as external factors such as wind resistance and altitude.

5. How can G-force be reduced for a jumper?

G-force can be reduced for a jumper by decreasing their velocity or mass, or by increasing their air resistance through a more aerodynamic body position. A parachute or other form of air resistance can also be used to slow down the jumper and decrease the G-force experienced.