Gabrielle's question at Yahoo Answers regarding related rates

In summary, the conversation is about a calculus I question in the section about related rates. The question involves a street light at the top of a 13.000 ft. tall pole, a man who is 6.100 ft tall walking away from the pole with a speed of 6.000 feet/sec, and the rate at which the tip of his shadow is moving when he is 33.000 feet from the pole. The conversation includes a formula and explanation for solving the problem, and an invitation to post other related rates problems in a forum.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

This is a calculus I question in the section about related rates.?

This is a calculus I question in the section about related rates.
A street light is at the top of a 13.000 ft. tall pole. A man 6.100 ft tall walks away from the pole with a speed of 6.000 feet/sec along a straight path. How fast is the tip of his shadow moving when he is 33.000 feet from the pole?

Here is a link to the question:

This is a calculus I question in the section about related rates.? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Gabrielle,

I like to work problems like this in general terms, derive a formula, then plug in the given data at the end. First let's draw a diagram. $L$ represents the height of the light pole, $M$ represents the height of the man, $x$ represents the distance of the man from the pole, and $s$ represents the length of the man's shadow:

2hzkf83.jpg

By similarity, we may state:

\(\displaystyle \frac{L}{x+s}=\frac{M}{s}\)

Cross-multiply:

\(\displaystyle Ls=M(x+s)\)

Solve for $s$:

\(\displaystyle (L-M)s=Mx\)

\(\displaystyle s=\frac{M}{L-M}x\)

Now, differentiate with respect to time $t$:

\(\displaystyle \frac{ds}{dt}=\frac{M}{L-M}\cdot\frac{dx}{dt}\)

This is the rate of growth of the length of the shadow. To find how fast the tip $T$ of the shadow is changing, we need to add \(\displaystyle \frac{dx}{dt}\) as this growth is relative to the man's position:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dT}{dt}=\frac{M}{L-M}\cdot \frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{dx}{dt}= \frac{dx}{dt}\left(\frac{M}{L-M}+1 \right)= \frac{dx}{dt}\cdot\frac{L}{L-M}\)

We see that this is constant, i.e., it does not depend on how far the man is from the pole. So, plugging in the given data, we find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dT}{dt}=\left(6\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}} \right)\left(\frac{13\text{ ft}}{(13-6.1)\text{ ft}} \right)=\frac{260}{23}\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}}\)

Since the given data is accurate to 3 decimal places, we round the final result to:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dT}{dt}\approx11.304\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}}\)

To Gabrielle and any other guests viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to post other related rates problems in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f10/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

What is the concept of related rates?

The concept of related rates is a mathematical technique used to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. It involves finding the relationship between two or more changing quantities and using this relationship to find the rate of change of one variable when the other variable is changing.

How do you solve a related rates problem?

Solving a related rates problem involves the following steps:

1. Identify the changing quantities and the constant quantities.
  2. Draw a diagram and label all the known and unknown quantities.
  3. Write an equation that relates the changing quantities.
  4. Differentiate the equation with respect to time (using implicit differentiation).
  5. Substitute in the known values and solve for the unknown rate.

What are some common examples of related rates problems?

Some common examples of related rates problems include:

• Finding the rate at which the area of a circle is changing as its radius changes.
  • Determining the speed of a car as it approaches a traffic light.
  • Finding the rate at which the volume of a cube is changing as its side length changes.
  • Determining the rate at which the height of a cone is changing as water is being poured into it.

How do related rates problems relate to real-life situations?

Related rates problems are used to model real-life situations in which multiple variables are changing simultaneously. They are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their future behavior.

What are some tips for solving related rates problems?

Some tips for solving related rates problems include:

• Read the problem carefully and make sure you understand what is being asked.
  • Draw a clear and accurate diagram to visualize the problem.
  • Identify all known and unknown quantities and label them on the diagram.
  • Use appropriate units for all quantities.
  • Take the time to set up the equation correctly before differentiating.
  • Check your answer to make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.