Gaging Time with Chemical Clocks: A Crazy Idea?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using chemical reactions or clocks to gauge time. The speaker shares two potential ideas involving the Briggs-Rauscher reaction and rust, but acknowledges potential challenges with controlling temperature and replenishing ingredients. They express interest in creating a chemical time-telling device and mention a study on biochemical reactions in cyanobacteria functioning as a circadian clock. The speaker wonders if it would be possible to create a similar device and suggests using steel wool in salt water with a color-coded reference chart.
ljfe
I am really very new to chemistry and physics, although I hope to study in the future. I have a question regarding chemical clocks. Is it possible to gage time using a specific chemical clock or chemical reaction that you may know of? my first,idea was standard chemical clocks like the Briggs-Rauscher reaction. perhaps slowing it down as much as possible so it changed colors on the hour mark. My second idea was maybe doing something with rust. The main problem would be controling the temperature, also I would have to replenish the ingredients and set it up again after the few hours ran out. Any ideas direction or suggestions would be appreciated. I'd like to set up some kind of chemical time telling device. I hope this isn't too crazy. Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Researchers have discovered a set of biochemical reactions inside certain cyanobacteria that function as a circadian clock and oscillate on a ~ 24 hr period. Researchers have been able to purify the components of the circadian clock and get it to oscillate inside a test tube with a ~ 24 hr period as well: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/318/5851/809.long

so for me to do something like this is pretty much impossible? i would like to design "weird" timepeice. perhaps steel wool in salt water at a controlled temp. and a color coded refrence chart to figure out the indicated time it took to change colors?

1. What is a chemical clock?

A chemical clock is a type of reaction that changes color at a specific rate, allowing for the measurement of time. This reaction is often used in experiments to study reaction rates and kinetics.

2. How does a chemical clock work?

A chemical clock involves a series of reactions that occur at different rates. When the reactants are mixed together, they initially form a clear solution. As the reactions progress, the solution will change color, indicating the passage of time.

3. What is the purpose of using a chemical clock?

The purpose of using a chemical clock is to accurately measure time in experiments where precise timing is necessary. This method is often used in chemical and biological experiments to study reaction rates and enzyme kinetics.

4. How accurate is a chemical clock in measuring time?

A chemical clock can be highly accurate, with some reactions having a precision of up to one second. However, the accuracy can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and the concentration of reactants.

5. What are some potential applications of chemical clocks?

Chemical clocks have a wide range of applications, including in the study of enzyme kinetics, reaction rates, and even as a demonstration in science classrooms. They can also be used to measure the age of certain materials, such as rocks and fossils.