Galactic longitude and radial velocities

In summary, based on the given data, the radial velocities for components 1 and 2 are 86 km/s and 12 km/s respectively, while components 3 and 4 have relative velocities of -3 km/s and -58 km/s towards the Galactic Centre. Component 4, which is located at Galactic longitude l=100 degrees, is the furthest from the Galactic Centre and component 1 & 2, located at l=33 degrees, originate closest to the Galactic Centre. The spectrum along l=100 degrees has no components at frequencies below 1420.406 MHz because its longitude line runs in between two spiral arms and only component 3, which is the closest to the Galactic Centre, cuts across a spiral
henrco
Hi,

I'm pretty happy with my answer to part i). But could I get guidance for my answers to part ii), iii) and iv). I think they are correct... However I'd like to understand that with the data provided is there a way of actually determining the distance for each component to the GC and therefore having a more accurate answer.

Any help gratefully received.

1. Homework Statement

From the two spectra below (brightness plotted against observed frequency) determine the
radial velocities for components 1 and 2 (galactic longitude l = 33º) and components 3 and 4
( l = 100º). Which of these four components originate further out from the Galactic Centre
than the Sun? Which of these four components originates closest to the Galactic Centre? Why
does the spectrum along l = 100º have no components at frequencies below 1420.406 MHz?

upload_2016-3-23_10-5-32.png

Homework Equations

upload_2016-3-23_10-7-23.png

The Attempt at a Solution

i) radial velocities for components 1 and 2 (galactic longitude l = 33º) and components 3 and 4
( l = 100º).

Using the above formulas, I calculated the following relative velocities.
Component 1 : 86 km/s receding
Component 2 : 12 km/s receding
Component 3 : -3 km/s towards
Component 4 : --58 km/s towards

ii) Which of these four components originate further out from the Galactic Centre
than the Sun?

Based on the galactic longitude system, component 4 which is on Galactic longitude l= 100 degrees is further out from the GC than the sun.

iii) Which of these four components originates closest to the Galactic Centre?

Based on the galactic longitude system, component 1 & 2 which is on Galactic longitude l=33 degrees, originates closer to the GC than the sun.

iv) Why does the spectrum along l = 100º have no components at frequencies below 1420.406 MHz?

This is because it’s longitude line from the Sun runs in between two spiral arms and only at
component 3 does it cut across a spiral arm.

Physics news on Phys.org
Therefore component 4, which is the furthest from the sun, is the only one to have a signal at a frequency below 1420.406 MHz.

1. What is galactic longitude?

Galactic longitude is a coordinate system used to describe the position of objects within our Milky Way galaxy. It measures the angular distance of an object from the galactic center, with the center of our galaxy being assigned a longitude of 0 degrees.

2. How is galactic longitude different from celestial longitude?

Galactic longitude is measured within the Milky Way galaxy, while celestial longitude is measured within the entire celestial sphere. This means that galactic longitude is specific to our galaxy, while celestial longitude can be used to describe the position of objects in any part of the sky.

3. What is the significance of galactic longitude in astronomy?

Galactic longitude is important in astronomy because it allows us to locate and map objects within our galaxy. It also helps us understand the structure and dynamics of the Milky Way, as well as the distribution of stars and other celestial objects within it.

4. How are radial velocities measured in astronomy?

Radial velocities are measured by observing the Doppler shift of an object's spectrum. This involves measuring the change in wavelength of light emitted by the object, which can be caused by its motion towards or away from the observer. This information can then be used to calculate the object's radial velocity.

5. How do galactic longitude and radial velocities relate to each other?

Galactic longitude and radial velocities are both important in determining the position and motion of objects within the Milky Way. By combining the two, astronomers can create 3D maps of our galaxy and study the dynamics and movements of objects within it.