How to calculate kinematic distances in the Milky Way

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating distances to spiral arms using the tangent point method and the equation R = (Vsun*Rsun*sin(l))/(Vobs+Vsun*sin(l)). While this equation works well for longitudes 0<l<90, it does not seem to work for the outer galaxy (90<l<270). The issue may be with the definition of Vobs, which may not hold true for l>90. Any help with this is appreciated.
Ben231111
I have been trying to calculate the distances to the spiral arms (neutral Hydrogen clouds) and our equation seems to work perfectly for longitudes 0<l<90 but doesn't seem to work for the outer galaxy (i.e. between 90<l<270) - we get distances but they're not correct. After reading a lot of literature online it seems the outer distances should actually be easier to calculate given that there would only be one solution, rather than two like in the inner galaxy.

I'm using the tangent point method and the equation I am using to calculate the distance from the centre of the galaxy to the cloud is R = (Vsun*Rsun*sin(l))/(Vobs+Vsun*sin(l)) where Vsun is the velocity of the sun, Rsun is the distance from the Sun to the galactic centre.

Vobs is calculated from the Doppler Effect using Vobs = c*(1-f'/1420.405...) - vlsr where c is the speed of light, f' is the observed frequency and 1420.405... is the frequency of the Hydrogen emission.

I then use my R and calculate the distance d from the Sun to the cloud using d = Rsun*cos(l)±√((Rsun*cos(l))^2 - Rsun^2 + R^2)

As said before, this all seems to work fine for 0<l<90, but not for l>90. The only thought I have had is that the way I have defined Vobs (defined as the velocity of the cloud along the line of sight minus the velocity of the Sun along the line of sight) might be true for all l<90, but not necessarily true for l>90 - for some longitudes and distances (i.e between 90<l<270), Vobs may become negative as the cloud is now moving towards us, instead of away.

Any help with this is appreciated, thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Any help?
Thanks

1. How do I calculate kinematic distances in the Milky Way?

To calculate kinematic distances in the Milky Way, you will need to use the Galactic Coordinate System and the observed radial velocity of an object. You can then use the equation v = R x Ω to calculate the distance, where v is the radial velocity, R is the distance from the Sun to the object, and Ω is the angular velocity of the object in the Galactic Coordinate System.

2. What is the Galactic Coordinate System?

The Galactic Coordinate System is a coordinate system used to describe the position of objects in the Milky Way. It is based on the orientation of the Galactic plane and the direction of the Galactic center. The coordinates are commonly denoted as l for longitude and b for latitude.

3. What is radial velocity?

Radial velocity is the velocity of an object along the line of sight, in other words, the speed at which an object is moving towards or away from the observer. It is measured in units of distance per time, such as kilometers per second.

4. How accurate are kinematic distance calculations in the Milky Way?

Kinematic distance calculations in the Milky Way can be accurate to within a few percentage points, but this can vary depending on the quality of the data and assumptions made in the calculation. It is important to consider uncertainties and potential sources of error when using kinematic distances.

5. Can kinematic distances be used for all objects in the Milky Way?

Kinematic distances are most accurate for objects within the Galactic disk, such as stars and gas clouds. They can also be used for objects in the Galactic halo, but the calculations may be less accurate due to the complexity of the halo's structure. Kinematic distances are not generally applicable for objects outside of the Milky Way, such as other galaxies.