Galaxy dynamics explained without DM or MOND

In summary, the conversation discusses a discovery that explains galaxy rotation curves without the need for dark matter or modifications to Newtonian dynamics. This discovery has been independently made by two authors, but their papers have not been published or endorsed. The references were found in a thesis, but the conversation concludes that the papers have failed professional review processes and the thread is being closed.
Adrian59
I have been working on a discovery that could explain galaxy rotation curve without dark matter or modification of Newtonian dynamics. However, I was unable to make any comment within this forum since this was unpublished work. However, the same discovery has been made independently by Kenneth F Nicholson (astro-ph/0309762 v2) and Dilip G. Banhatti (arXiv:0806.1131v4). I found these references in an article by James T. Dwyer entitled, ‘Inappropriate Application of Kepler’s Empirical Laws of Planetary Motion to Spiral Galaxies Created the Perceived Galaxy Rotation Problem – Thereby Establishing a Galactic Presence for the Elusive, Inferred Dark Matter’, (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Dwyer/publication). These two papers explain the flat or sometimes rising galaxy rotational velocities using the baryonic matter known to be present in a galaxy, thereby eliminating the need for exotic matter or any modification of known physics.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Adrian59 said:
However, I was unable to make any comment within this forum since this was unpublished work.
This is one of our most basic rules.
Adrian59 said:
However, the same discovery has been made independently by Kenneth F Nicholson (astro-ph/0309762 v2) and Dilip G. Banhatti (arXiv:0806.1131v4).
Which are - as far as I could see - also unpublished w.r.t. a scientific journal. Furthermore, there haven't even been endorsements of the two papers.
Adrian59 said:
I found these references in an article by James T. Dwyer entitled, ‘Inappropriate Application of Kepler’s Empirical Laws of Planetary Motion to Spiral Galaxies Created the Perceived Galaxy Rotation Problem
Which is a thesis, i.e. required to be published.

We do not want to open the gates for all kind of personal theories, so I close this thread.

The two papers you mentioned are roughly ten years old, which is a long time to seek a publication opportunity. The fact, that they weren't make me think, that they've failed several professional review processes which is more than we can provide.

Likes CalcNerd, jim mcnamara, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person

1. What is DM and MOND?

DM stands for dark matter, a hypothetical form of matter that has not been directly observed but is believed to make up a significant portion of the universe. MOND stands for Modified Newtonian Dynamics, a theory that attempts to explain the observed gravitational effects in galaxies without the need for dark matter.

2. What is the current theory for galaxy dynamics?

The current theory for galaxy dynamics is the standard model of cosmology, which includes the presence of dark matter. This theory has been successful in explaining the observed rotation curves of galaxies, as well as other phenomena such as the large-scale structure of the universe.

3. How does the proposed explanation differ from the current theory?

The proposed explanation suggests that the observed gravitational effects in galaxies can be explained without the need for dark matter or MOND. Instead, it proposes a modification to the laws of gravity at large scales, which can reproduce the observed dynamics without the need for additional matter.

4. What evidence supports this alternative explanation?

There is currently no solid evidence that supports this alternative explanation for galaxy dynamics. While some studies have suggested that MOND may be a viable alternative to dark matter, there is still a lack of consensus among scientists and more research is needed to fully understand the dynamics of galaxies.

5. What implications would this have for our understanding of the universe?

If this alternative explanation were to be proven, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of gravity. It would require a major revision of the current standard model of cosmology and could potentially lead to new insights into the nature of gravity and the structure of the universe.