Galaxy statistics calculation in Saslaw's book

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the two-point correlation function in the book "The Distribution of the Galaxies" by William C. Saslaw. The author is able to reproduce equation 14.11, but struggles with calculating the integral without repeating the pairing of galaxies. The expert suggests that the missing step is summing over all possible pairs of galaxies, not just integrating over them.
shahbaznihal
I am trying to follow a calculation from the book of William C. Saslaw, The Distribution of the Galaxies: Gravitational Clustering in Cosmology. The calculation is shown on the pages following page 122 in chapter 14 where the author talks about the Correlation function.

I am able to reproduce 14.11, which talks about the volume integral of the two-point correlation function. I understand that integrating ##\xi (r)## over the whole volume, not making a distinction on pairs of galaxies being counted twice, gives you a zero answer. I see it by solving the integral, $$\int \xi(r)d\vec{r_1}d\vec{r_2}$$ But later in the following paragraph (picture posted below),

I am unable to get the result when you do not repeat the pairing of galaxy i.e. one of the N galaxies is paired with the remaining N-1 galaxy following the same calculation that gave me the result of 14.11 (where I simply performed the integral of ##\vec{r_1}## and ##\vec{r_2}## over the entire given volume V). I am summarizing this calculation below,
$$\int \xi(r)d\vec{r_1}d\vec{r_2} = \frac{1}{\bar{n}^2}\int{<n(\vec{r_1})n(\vec{r_1}+\vec{r_2})>d\vec{r_1}d\vec{r_2}} - \int d\vec{r_1}d\vec{r_2}$$
Then you can integrate the first term under the brackets (I hope!) and to get $$\int{n(\vec{r_1}+\vec{r_2})}d\vec{r_2}$$
Since, the integral of over ##\vec{r_2}## would just give you N (the total number of galaxies) in respect of ##\vec{r_1}##, the same from the integral of ##\vec{r_1}## it would give ##N^2##. This together with the integral in the second term (which just gives you ##V^2##) gives you a total of 0. And as I understand, this is simply because I include infinitesimal volume ##d\vec{r}## twice when integrating. However, I am unable to do the calculation in the other case.
I would really appreciate some input from people who have done this or a similar exercise (I think it's a pretty standard calculation in galaxy statistics but I am stuck with it).

Attachments

• yzno4.png
    yzno4.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 139
Space news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post and for sharing your progress in following the calculation from the book by William C. Saslaw. It is great that you were able to reproduce the result in equation 14.11, but I understand that you are having trouble with the calculation in the following paragraph.

From what I understand, you are trying to calculate the integral of the two-point correlation function without repeating the pairing of galaxies. I believe your approach is correct, but you may be missing one important step in the calculation.

In the first term under the brackets, you have correctly integrated over ##\vec{r_1}## and ##\vec{r_2}##. However, in order to get the correct result, you also need to integrate over all possible pairs of galaxies. This means that you need to sum over all possible combinations of ##\vec{r_1}## and ##\vec{r_2}##, not just integrate over them.

I hope this helps clarify the calculation for you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the significance of galaxy statistics calculation in Saslaw's book?

The galaxy statistics calculation in Saslaw's book is significant because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the distribution and properties of galaxies in the universe. This allows scientists to make predictions and test theories about the formation and evolution of galaxies.

2. What are the key equations used in galaxy statistics calculation?

The key equations used in galaxy statistics calculation include the luminosity function, the correlation function, and the two-point correlation function. These equations describe the relationship between the properties of galaxies and their spatial distribution.

3. How is galaxy statistics calculation used in observational astronomy?

Galaxy statistics calculation is used in observational astronomy to analyze large datasets of galaxy properties and their spatial distribution. This allows astronomers to study the large-scale structure of the universe and make inferences about the underlying physical processes that govern the formation and evolution of galaxies.

4. What are some limitations of galaxy statistics calculation?

Some limitations of galaxy statistics calculation include the assumption of homogeneity and isotropy in the universe, which may not always hold true. Additionally, the equations used may not accurately capture the complex interactions between galaxies and their environments.

5. How has galaxy statistics calculation contributed to our understanding of the universe?

Galaxy statistics calculation has greatly contributed to our understanding of the universe by providing a quantitative framework for studying the distribution and properties of galaxies. This has allowed scientists to make important discoveries about the large-scale structure of the universe, the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and the evolution of galaxies over cosmic time.