Gamma factor when doing four momentum problems

In summary: However, in the scenario described, the Lorentz factor for particle 1 would not change since it is not involved in the collision. Therefore, the P1.P2 term would not lose its gamma factor.
bonbon22
Homework Statement
Why does the gamma factor drop off when doing a four momentum problem?
Relevant Equations
ϒ = gamma factor = lorentz factor = 1-( v^2/c^2)
So if i had this problem where i am squaring a four momentum vector with itself which gives

P2 = (##\gamma mc## )2 - ##\gamma##2## m ##2##\vec v## *##\vec v##

I have been told that the gamma factor is not considered at all. why would the gamma factor drop off? Does this rule apply to any four momentum problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, you have the wrong expression for the gamma factor, i.e., you have written ##\gamma = 1 - v^2/c^2## when it should be ##\gamma = 1/\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}##. That it falls out from the expression for ##P^2## is basic algebra from there.

Likes bonbon22
Orodruin said:
First of all, you have the wrong expression for the gamma factor, i.e., you have written ##\gamma = 1 - v^2/c^2## when it should be ##\gamma = 1/\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}##. That it falls out from the expression for ##P^2## is basic algebra from there.
If i had this other scenario where one proton is smashing into another which is stationary. Which creates a new particle, also stationary. Then balancing the four momentum i get P1 + P2 = P3 squaring i get P1^2 + P2^2 +P1.P2 =P3^2 . Since particle 2 let's say in this case is stationary the v2 becomes zero so using the Lorentz factor equation plugging in i get gamma 2 = 1. So is it possible then for the P1.P2 term to lose the gamma1 factor?

bonbon22 said:
If i had this other scenario where one proton is smashing into another which is stationary. Which creates a new particle, also stationary.
This would violate conservation of momentum as you would have non-zero momentum before the collision and zero momentum after.

bonbon22 said:
P1^2 + P2^2 +P1.P2 =P3^2
It should be ##p_1^2 + p_2^2 + 2p_1 \cdot p_2 = p_3^2##.
bonbon22 said:
So is it possible then for the P1.P2 term to lose the gamma1 factor?
It is not clear to me exactly what you are asking here.

1. What is the gamma factor in four momentum problems?

The gamma factor, also known as the Lorentz factor, is a term used in special relativity to describe the relationship between an object's velocity and its mass. It is denoted by the Greek letter gamma (γ) and is defined as 1/√(1-v^2/c^2), where v is the velocity of the object and c is the speed of light.

2. How is the gamma factor used in four momentum problems?

The gamma factor is used to calculate the relativistic mass of an object in special relativity. In four momentum problems, it is used to determine the total energy of a particle, which is a combination of its rest mass energy and its kinetic energy.

3. What is the significance of the gamma factor in special relativity?

The gamma factor is a crucial component of Einstein's theory of special relativity. It plays a key role in explaining the phenomenon of time dilation and length contraction, which occur as an object approaches the speed of light.

4. How does the gamma factor affect the behavior of particles at high speeds?

As the gamma factor increases, the relativistic mass also increases, and the energy required to accelerate the particle further becomes exponentially larger. This makes it impossible for particles with mass to reach the speed of light, as it would require an infinite amount of energy.

5. Can the gamma factor be applied to all objects, regardless of their mass?

Yes, the gamma factor can be applied to all objects, including those with zero mass. In this case, the gamma factor would simplify to 1/√1-v^2/c^2, which is equivalent to 1, meaning that there is no change in the object's energy or mass at any velocity.