Gas Flow split into four hoses

In summary, the conversation discusses the flow rate and distribution of gas through a source hose and four outlet hoses. The flow rate is limited to 30SCFH and the gas being used is 90% Argon/10%CO2. The group also considers the possibility of using Ideal Gas in their calculations and mentions a familiarity with Metallurgy but not with gas laws. The main point is that the sum of the flows in the four outlet hoses will be equal to the flow value at the source, regardless of how it is distributed.
Weld Engineer
If I have a 1/2" source hose with 60PSI and a Flow sensor then split to four 3/8" hoses with a flow rate limited to 30SCFH. Should I expect to have a 120SCFH flow rate across my flow sensor? The gas will be 90% Argon/10%CO2, but we could assume an Ideal Gas for this... Right? I understand Metallurgy, but don't remember my gas laws very well.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In general, the sum of the flows in the the four outlet hoses will be the flow value shown at the source regardless of whether this flow is equally distributed across those four outlet hoses or not.

1. What is the purpose of splitting gas flow into four hoses?

The purpose of splitting gas flow into four hoses is to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of gas distribution in a system. By dividing the gas flow into multiple hoses, it allows for more precise control and distribution of the gas, which can be beneficial in various scientific experiments and processes.

2. How does splitting gas flow into four hoses affect the gas pressure?

Splitting gas flow into four hoses can help maintain or regulate the gas pressure. By dividing the gas flow, it reduces the overall pressure in each hose, making it easier to control and less likely to cause fluctuations in pressure. This is especially important in experiments where precise pressure control is necessary.

3. What are the advantages of using four hoses instead of just one for gas flow?

There are several advantages to using four hoses for gas flow. Firstly, it allows for more efficient and precise control of gas distribution. Secondly, it reduces the risk of pressure fluctuations, which can affect the accuracy of experiments. Additionally, it can help prevent cross-contamination of gases and allows for easier maintenance and replacement of individual hoses if needed.

4. Can gas flow be split into more than four hoses?

Yes, gas flow can be split into any number of hoses depending on the specific needs of the experiment or process. However, it is important to consider the limitations of the system and ensure that the gas pressure and distribution can still be effectively controlled and maintained with the increased number of hoses.

5. Are there any risks associated with splitting gas flow into multiple hoses?

As with any scientific process, there are potential risks associated with splitting gas flow into multiple hoses. These risks include potential leaks or ruptures in the hoses, which can lead to gas leaks and safety hazards. It is important to regularly check and maintain the hoses to prevent any potential risks.