Gas law problem (changing volume, temperature and pressure)

In summary: DanYes. Post your working and answer and we'll check them.In summary, a sample of gas collected at 40##^o## C and 75 mmHg occupies a volume of 65 cm³.
Tasha Clifford
Homework Statement
What volume will 65cm3 of a gas occupy, if it is collected at 40°C and 75mmHg at STP?
Relevant Equations
None
I can’t quite work my head around this question, I am having a difficult time analyzing the question, I can’t seem to make out what the initial and final conditions are

would appreciate all the help I could get cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: I mis-read the question. Please see post #4.

Either:
- it's a trick question and the answer is 65cm³ or
- there is missing information and the question is impossible to answer.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
Tasha Clifford said:
Homework Statement:: What volume will 65cm3 of a gas occupy, if it is collected at 40°C and 75mmHg at stp?
Relevant Equations:: None

I can’t quite work my head around this question, I am having a difficult time analyzing the question, I can’t seem to make out what the initial and final conditions are

would appreciate all the help I could get cheers
If the gas was collected at 40##^o## C and 75 mmHg then that is your initial condition. To find out what the volume is at any other condition you need to know what that condition is. You don't have enough information.

-Dan

On re-reading the question, I see it mentions 'stp' (which is normally written in capitals: STP).

I guess the question could be written as:
"A sample of (ideal) gas collected at 40°C and 75mmHg, occupies a volume of 65cm³.​
What volume will it occupy at STP?"​

• Informative
Likes Lord Jestocost, berkeman, Tasha Clifford and 1 other person
Steve4Physics said:
On re-reading the question, I see it mentions 'stp' (which is normally written in capitals: STP).

"A sample of (ideal) gas collected at 40°C and 75mmHg, occupies a volume of 65cm³.​
What are your thoughts on this so far? How many moles of gas are collected?

Likes topsquark
topsquark said:
If the gas was collected at 40##^o## C and 75 mmHg then that is your initial condition. To find out what the volume is at any other condition you need to know what that condition is. You don't have enough information.

-Dan
I just edited the question now, it end with “STP” which i didnt write in capitals, does this mean STP conditions are the final conditions

Likes topsquark
Steve4Physics said:

Brilliant, i think it makes much more sense now

Chestermiller said:
What are your thoughts on this so far? How many moles of gas are collected?
Steve4Physics said:

And Does this mean STP conditions of 273K and 750atm are the final conditions?

75mmhg

Last edited:
Tasha Clifford said:
750 atm! Ouch!

Before 1982 STP was defined as T = 273.15 K and P = 1 atm = 101.325 kPa.
After 1982 STP is defined as T = 273.15 K and P = 100 kPa.

You will need to check your source for the date. Either way, though, your calculations should be essentially the same.

-Dan

• Informative
Likes Lord Jestocost, Tasha Clifford, berkeman and 1 other person
Tasha Clifford said:
First tell us what you think!

And (as already noted by @topsquark ) you don't mean "750atm"!

Likes Tasha Clifford
Tasha Clifford said:
the number of moles is the same at both states.

Steve4Physics said:
First tell us what you think!

And (as already noted by @topsquark ) you don't mean "750atm"!
I meant 75mmhg and not 750atm sorry for the mixup😅

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
the number of moles is the same at both states.
I do not quite understand what you mean here sir

Last edited:
Do i now proceed by substituting the said values in the combined gas equation
(P1V1 / T1 = P2V2 / T2 ) then find the final volume?

Tasha Clifford said:
I meant 75mmhg and not 750atm sorry for the mixup😅
Maybe some confusion remains! Standard Temperature and Pressure (STP) corresponds to 0ºC and 750mmHg (but see note below).

Make sure you know the two different pressures in the question.

Note: In fact for STP, pressure = 750.06mmHg but 750 is often used as it is accurate enough for most purposes.

Steve4Physics said:
Note: In fact for STP, pressure = 750.06mmHg but 750 is often used as it is accurate enough for most purposes.
You're certain?

Tasha Clifford said:
Do i now proceed by substituting the said values in the combined gas equation
(P1V1 / T1 = P2V2 / T2 ) then find the final volume?
Yes. Post your working and answer and we'll check them.

As hinted at by @Chestermiller, you can also solve the problem using the ideal gas equation (PV=nRT) because the number of moles doesn't change. You might find it useful to try both methods to see that the two methods are really the same.

Last edited:
Likes Tasha Clifford
Bystander said:
You're certain?
Maybe you mean that there are various definitions of STP (some using 750.06mmHg and others using 760mmHg)?

I guess I should have pointed this out to the OP and suggested that they check which values (of both temperature and pressure) they are meant to use for STP. If @Tasha Clifford is reading this, please note!

However, the OP has used the figure '750' in the context of STP (rather than 760) suggesting 750mmHg is the appropriate value.

Likes Tasha Clifford and Bystander
Steve4Physics said:
Maybe you mean that there are various definitions of STP (some using 750.06mmHg and others using 760mmHg)?

I guess I should have pointed this out to the OP and suggested that they check which values (of both temperature and pressure) they are meant to use for STP. If @Tasha Clifford is reading this, please note!

However, the OP has used the figure '750' in the context of STP (rather than 760) suggesting 750mmHg is the appropriate value.
Note taken

Likes Steve4Physics
Steve4Physics said:

As hinted at by @Chestermiller, you can also solve the problem using the ideal gas equation (PV=nRT) because the number of moles doesn't change. You might find it useful to try both methods to see that the two methods are really the same.
I don't really understand how i can solve this question using the ideal gas eqaution, i just tried and it’s giving me an absurd value, would appreciate if you can do so , i want to see how you go about it

Steve4Physics said:

This is my working using the combined gas equation

Attachments

• B2A4CE1B-457C-4C2C-B78A-C11D359B3EE9.jpeg
    B2A4CE1B-457C-4C2C-B78A-C11D359B3EE9.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 72
Tasha Clifford said:
I don't really understand how i can solve this question using the ideal gas eqaution, i just tried and it’s giving me an absurd value,
You need to show your working and the value you got.

Tasha Clifford said:
would appreciate if you can do so , i want to see how you go about it
The rules here require you to show evidence of your own work before we can offer guidance. See https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-help-guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

Did you manage to solve the problem using P₁V₁/T₁ = P₂V₂/T₂? Post your working - even if you got stuck at some point.

Tasha Clifford said:
This is my working using the combined gas equation
The original question says that the initial pressure, P₁ = 75mmHg, not 750mmHg.

The final conditions are SPT, so P₂ = 750mmHg. (That means pressure has increased by a factor of 10.)

Also, 1 atm is 760mmHg, not 750mmHg. It's wrong to say 750mmHg is 1 atm.

Try again!

Likes Tasha Clifford
Likes Tasha Clifford
Steve4Physics said:

The final conditions are SPT, so P₂ = 750mmHg. (That means pressure has increased by a factor of 10.)

Try again!
I am confused it’s actually an mcq qeustion, here is the question
DEDBA36C-95FA-490A-9189-9D97E6E1E0A0.jpeg

Steve4Physics said:

Try again!
I just did the necessary corrections and solved it solved it again but my answer still doesn't fall among the provided answers
D6B5540E-0103-4FAA-B063-969B43664B53.jpeg

Tasha Clifford said:
I just did the necessary corrections and solved it solved it again but my answer still doesn't fall among the provided answers View attachment 313765
I agree with your answer. Well done! It looks like the question and/or answer-list have one or more mistakes. It happens sometimes.

If we use the STP definition where pressure is 760mmHg and temperature is 0ºC, then I get the same answer as you.

(I would have rounded the answer to 2 or 3 significant figures, i.e. 5.6cm³ or 5.60cm³.)

If we use the STP definition where pressure is 750mmHg and temperature is 0ºC, then this changes the answer slightly, to 5.67cm³.

Make sure you know which definition of STP you are supposed to use. Using the incorrect definition will change the answer (slightly).

A very minor point: you correctly converted 0ºC to 273.15K. But the number you put into your equation was 273.

Likes Tasha Clifford and Chestermiller
Steve4Physics said:
I agree with your answer. Well done! It looks like the question and/or answer-list have one or more mistakes. It happens sometimes.

If we use the STP definition where pressure is 760mmHg and temperature is 0ºC, then I get the same answer as you.

(I would have rounded the answer to 2 or 3 significant figures, i.e. 5.6cm³ or 5.60cm³.)

If we use the STP definition where pressure is 750mmHg and temperature is 0ºC, then this changes the answer slightly, to 5.67cm³.

Make sure you know which definition of STP you are supposed to use. Using the incorrect definition will change the answer (slightly).

A very minor point: you correctly converted 0ºC to 273.15K. But the number you put into your equation was 273.

Yh i agree that there seems to be a problem with the qeustion because i realized that if you change the 75mmhg to 750mmhg then the answer becomes D) 55.9cm3

I still want to know how i could go about with the problem using the ideal gas equation as you said

Thanks anyway @Steve4Physics and @Chestermiller for all your contributions, I really do appreciate
Until next time

Tasha Clifford said:
I still want to know how i could go about with the problem using the ideal gas equation as you said
##P_1V_1 = nRT_1##. Solve your initial condition to find the number of moles of the gas. Since this does not change, plug that into ##P_2 V_2 = nRT_2##.

-Dan

Likes Tasha Clifford
topsquark said:
##P_1V_1 = nRT_1##. Solve your initial condition to find the number of moles of the gas. Since this does not change, plug that into ##P_2 V_2 = nRT_2##.

-Dan
Ok ✅

topsquark said:

-Dan
Please how did you type the equation , i see it as( ##P_1V_1 = nRT_1##)
but it actually appears in the message itself as the ideal gas equation ??

Last edited:
Tasha Clifford said:
Please how did you type the equation , i see it as( ##P_1V_1 = nRT_1##)
but it actually appears in the message itself as the ideal gas equation ??
We use a version of LaTeX here. The basic stuff is actually pretty simple. We have an actual Forum but see this link here to get you started.

-Dan

1. How do changes in temperature affect gas pressure?

According to Charles' Law, as temperature increases, the volume of gas also increases, causing an increase in pressure. This is because the molecules in the gas have more energy and move faster, colliding more frequently with the walls of their container.

2. How does changing the volume of a gas affect its pressure?

Boyle's Law states that as the volume of a gas decreases, the pressure increases, and vice versa. This is because a decrease in volume means the gas molecules have less space to move around, causing more collisions with the container walls and thus an increase in pressure.

3. What happens to gas pressure when both volume and temperature are changed?

According to the Combined Gas Law, as both volume and temperature increase, the pressure also increases. This is because the increase in volume allows more space for the gas molecules to move around, while the increase in temperature causes them to move faster and collide more frequently with the container walls.

4. How do you calculate the new pressure of a gas when volume and temperature are changed?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, can be used to calculate the new pressure of a gas when volume and temperature are changed. By plugging in the initial values and solving for the new pressure, you can determine the new pressure of the gas after the changes.

5. What is the relationship between pressure and volume in a gas?

According to Boyle's Law, pressure and volume have an inverse relationship in a gas. As one increases, the other decreases, and vice versa. This is because the number of gas molecules and temperature remain constant, so a change in volume will result in a change in pressure and vice versa.